Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 18:24   #106

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Abandon Boat in Marina in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I will be a little more careful when questioning transient boaters, and always try to be helpful to those in need.
Thanks an appreciated and good policy!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 04:04   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Elated this appears to have a happy ending cued up....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 19:00   #108

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Rocketman ...with such a good "Positive" attitude such as you have displayed, no doubt you have made some good friends/potential customers here.....business people like you are hard to find these days.....

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 05:36   #109

Boat: Scout 30

I have to admit that since the anchoring battle with Marco Island we've avoided the place when heading south but after reading this thread I'm rethinking that. Can you post the name of your marina, transient rates & amenities? Also, anything fun to do in the area?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 05:32   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I have to admit that since the anchoring battle with Marco Island we've avoided the place when heading south but after reading this thread I'm rethinking that. Can you post the name of your marina, transient rates & amenities? Also, anything fun to do in the area?
Scout... Cut it out.... I've called dibs on the free dockage as soon as the other deadbeat moves that boat out of the way....

(rocketman/his place does seem to be the coolest ever)

Old 30-01-2015, 06:55   #111

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Quote:
First one on the right in factory bay, across from the federal anchorage. Great club house, bathrooms, showers and 3 sets washers & dryers. Bit of a hike to provision, but the Winn Dixie has a dinghy dock you can easily get to, if you dont mind going back out from factory bay to collier bay to smokehouse bay in your Dink.

Walmart is @ 10mile away down Collier Blvd, off the island on the right. There is a West Marine not too far away, a harware store, and a Walgreens. First time I ever seen a Bentley use a walgreens drive through, and a few Rolls's sitting in the parking lot. Owning a mercedes in marco island is like owning a ford.

Plenty of good restaurants, a bit pricey however. Most of the beaches are private access, and a good hike to the public one down flamingo ave.

As for Fun things to do, dodging 80 year old people out jogging in the morning on my bike.

Captain John(DM) is an awesome person to know and likes his cigars.
Old 30-01-2015, 07:08   #112

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Thanks for your interest. I would have to agree with some that Marco Island is a little stuffy. We have a 72 slip marina that mostly cater to long term dockage. We have about 6 slips that we use for transient traffic. Our rate is $1.91/ft for over night, or 13/ft per month.

The state of Florida and the EPA have declaired that our Marina can not have live a board traffic in it, so you are limited to no more than 10 nights in a 30 day period to stay on your boat.

The anchorage just outside of our marina did have quite a checkered past when the city decided that they would place limitations on how long someone could anchor there, but that was shot down in the courts. The Anchorage is well protected and free, but dinghy traffic can be a chalange. By the way you can bring your dinghy to our marina if you simply call and ask.

As far as entertainment goes, Marco has a lot of restaraunts, and what I call old people night life. If you want peace and quite then Marco is the place.

Our marina is Called "The Marina at Factory Bay" and you may have guessed that the Bay outside of the Marina is called "Factory Bay"

We don't sell anything other than ice at the Marina, we have a very nice club house with showers, TV room, and free laundry. My name is John and my assistant is Randy. Call ahead to check on avilablity, but we allmost always have a place for 47 ft boats and smaller with limited avilablity for boats up to 110 ft. Our number is (239)389-2929.

Love to see you out there...
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 10:47   #113

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Thanks for your interest. I would have to agree with some that Marco Island is a little stuffy. We have a 72 slip marina that mostly cater to long term dockage. We have about 6 slips that we use for transient traffic. Our rate is $1.91/ft for over night, or 13/ft per month.

The state of Florida and the EPA have declaired that our Marina can not have live a board traffic in it, so you are limited to no more than 10 nights in a 30 day period to stay on your boat.

The anchorage just outside of our marina did have quite a checkered past when the city decided that they would place limitations on how long someone could anchor there, but that was shot down in the courts. The Anchorage is well protected and free, but dinghy traffic can be a chalange. By the way you can bring your dinghy to our marina if you simply call and ask.

As far as entertainment goes, Marco has a lot of restaraunts, and what I call old people night life. If you want peace and quite then Marco is the place.

Our marina is Called "The Marina at Factory Bay" and you may have guessed that the Bay outside of the Marina is called "Factory Bay"

We don't sell anything other than ice at the Marina, we have a very nice club house with showers, TV room, and free laundry. My name is John and my assistant is Randy. Call ahead to check on avilablity, but we allmost always have a place for 47 ft boats and smaller with limited avilablity for boats up to 110 ft. Our number is (239)389-2929.

John--

Hasn't Factory Bay silted in pretty badly? We draw 6.5' and I have been told that's a stretch for that anchorage although it is listed in the BAIL Anchorage Guide. We do like the yacht club there. It's a convenient stop before leaving for the Keys and a nice break on the run down from Tampa.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 12:28   #114

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
John--

Hasn't Factory Bay silted in pretty badly? We draw 6.5' and I have been told that's a stretch for that anchorage although it is listed in the BAIL Anchorage Guide. We do like the yacht club there. It's a convenient stop before leaving for the Keys and a nice break on the run down from Tampa.
With 6.5 ft draw I don't believe you would have a problem unless we get very low tides. We have very large boats comming and going daily and have never seen a problem as long as you stay in the channel. When you make your approach into the island, follow the markers, the GPS map will show you going over very shallow water, but this isn't the case, as long as you are in the channel.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 12:39   #115

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
With 6.5 ft draw I don't believe you would have a problem unless we get very low tides. We have very large boats comming and going daily and have never seen a problem as long as you stay in the channel. When you make your approach into the island, follow the markers, the GPS map will show you going over very shallow water, but this isn't the case, as long as you are in the channel.
Rodger all. We'll look for you the next time we head south.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 12:53   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
I faced similar problems on a number of occasions and successfully took title to the boats and sold them as Treasure of a sailing club in SE Florida that had both dry and wet storage. What you need is someone who does this kind of work all the time and knows all the ins and outs cold, not a lawyer. I always used Bernie at Federal Lien Corp (954) 384-7171. He can handle the whole process.

I had a number of boats that were in arrears in their dockage/mooring rental fees. When they didn't pay I had no choice but to lien the vessels, get title to it and we sold the boat. As long as we got more $ than was owed, we were happy. Bernie will walk you through he process.
It's been a fun read to follow this, and some of the more practical questions raised have more than answered the problem facing this dilemma.

The evidence that this is fiction -- it's most likely very real -- is that 1) this is a business owner who doesn't have the proper representation. But, I have had difficulty getting insurance, and other similar common expectations that have become unbelievably impossible. Yes, there would seem to be loads of maritime lawyers, but yet there are none. And, our marina manager spells 'none' 'non.'

2) The circumstances have certainly been repeated in Florida, yet we have seen no accounts from the marina owner. His patient replies are admirable. It is in fact appreciated that he's taken it up on this public forum.

3) The details and trails taken to get to the bottom of this dilemma seem complete and now the repetitious nature of the responses from this forum have begun.

4) It seems that the real story here is about one guy as an example for this forum started with a dream and couldn't achieve it, so we get his story.

What about all the cruisers who failed and had to leave their boats behind with their broken dreams?

Are we a group who would love to sail around and pick up these crumbs? Or, do we feel for our compatriots who dropped out of dropping out?

The story here is a warning for those who took on in their boats, didn't sink, get thrown overboard, or pirated to death; but it's about those who took off without foresight or finance and simply failed.

It's continuing as a really neat story.

Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 13:06   #117

I apologize that my response #116 was late. That the problem was resolved is very cool. That we met Rocketman and learned of a great Marina is very cool beanz.

The moral I suggested is one for this forum, however. Fair winds, in the end.

The popcorn put an extra 3 lbs on me. Probably the butter.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 06:35   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

RM...

You're on the official list of stops....

Tags
florida