Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 19:14   #1

Zinc, Anodes, & Electrolysis….Huh? :)

Hey All!
I'm still chugging away here on land - but hoping, please!, to make the move next year and quasi-retire and live aboard.

Finally settled on catamarans - Love the monos…especially some of that gorgeous, sweet looking joinery…but, alas…pretty sure it will be a cat

All this research has been great, and found answer to everything but I'm still stumped on zincs, anodes, & electrolysis. Why, when, where, and how much?

When I was in the Navy, stationed at Subase Bangor, WA, I remember the boomers had to go through the "degausser" - to demagnetize the hull - is that relevant to all this? Just curious about that one

Again, tons of information on this, but I can't find any in "English", it all seems to be written in "Engineer", so if anyone has a good link to share, or if this is not as complicated as it seems to be to me and it can be explained here - as if I were a not so bright 5 year old? - I would appreciate any guidance!

Thank you all and be well!
Rob
Trident50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 20:45   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Zinc, Anodes, & Electrolysis….Huh? :)

Took me about 2 seconds on Google-

BoatUS – BoatTech – Sacrificial Zincs by Don Casey
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 21:02   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident50 View Post
………….
When I was in the Navy, stationed at Subase Bangor, WA, I remember the boomers had to go through the "degausser" - to demagnetize the hull - is that relevant to all this? Just curious about that one
………..
Rob
Totally irrelevant
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 21:08   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
…...

Again, tons of information on this, but I can't find any in "English", it all seems to be written in "Engineer", so if anyone has a good link to share, or if this is not as complicated as it seems to be to me and it can be explained here - as if I were a not so bright 5 year old? - I would appreciate any guidance!

Rob
While fstbttms's link is a good one, it may be too much for a 5 year old.

For the 5 year old, zinc and anode is the same word (but for the engineer and the rest of us it isn't ).

They are stuck (bolted) onto the underwater metal parts of the boat to prevent the metal from rusting and disappearing (again a 5 year old explanation )
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 23:07   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you can get hold of a copy of Boatowner's Illustrated Handbook Of Wiring by Charlie Wing ISBN 0-87742-383-0 it gives a good description of what is involved and contains a lot of other good information about boat electrics.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:56   #6

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Another good source of information and anodes is
BoatZincs.com Frequently Asked Questions

Also, consider using Aluminum anodes instead of zincs. Aluminum will work in fresh, brackish, and saltwater and is somewhat more environmentally friendly than zinc according to a recent article in Professional Boatbuilder.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:36   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
...consider using Aluminum anodes instead of zincs. Aluminum will work in fresh, brackish, and saltwater...
Aluminum anodes should not be used in freshwater. Magnesium for that.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:50   #8

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

Check this chart http://www.boatzincs.com/pdfs/Chart_...ould_I_Use.pdf

Aluminum is acceptable for freshwater.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:57   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Check this chart http://www.boatzincs.com/pdfs/Chart_...ould_I_Use.pdf

Aluminum is acceptable for freshwater.
The graphic I posted came from the anode manufacturer, Canada Metals. And while I use BoatZincs.com from time to time, I personally would take the manufacturer's word on this over an online zinc store.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The degaussing you witnessed is to help the sub avoid being tracked and for avoiding magnetic mines and torpedoes. It has nothing to do with the hull and engine zincs.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:51   #11

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Seems to me that if the sacrificial anode is to do its job, that is be the sacrificial whipping boy for more expensive and difficult to replace metal parts (usually of a vessel), then zincs are usually, if not always better than the other choices in salt water. Sure aluminium may be more environmentally friendly than zinc (I strongly suspect any environmental impact by either is very minor) but the increased electrolysis affecting the metals intended to be protected may be far more harmful to the environment and the vessel, not to mention the wallet of the owner. I know far less about "fresh" water as an electrolyte than the salty oceans. I would not be surprised to find that those unleashed stray electrons that cause much of the need for protection are all too often (this is not the same as "always") produced by those concerned about the environment as it relates to the control of persons other than themselves.
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:36   #12

Quote:
Hey All!
I'm still chugging away here on land - but hoping, please!, to make the move next year and quasi-retire and live aboard.

Finally settled on catamarans - Love the monos…especially some of that gorgeous, sweet looking joinery…but, alas…pretty sure it will be a cat

All this research has been great, and found answer to everything but I'm still stumped on zincs, anodes, & electrolysis. Why, when, where, and how much?

Rob
Degaussing is to demagnetise a steel ship. As I understand a steel ship can become magnetised over time. I believe they have an electrical coil in the seabed that does the work. I'm not sure what happens to any magnetic compasses on board.
That won't be necessary for any multihull you might acquire unless it's made of steel an is armed.
Anodes are used to help prevent corrosion on metal parts of a vessel. For example propellor, saildrive leg etc. The zinc of an anode corrodes instead of the propellor. You can google that. A saildrive will be fitted with a zinc (sometimes Aluminum,) it's normally in front of the propellor. A shaft drive will or should be fitted with a zinc clamped around the shaft.
Good luck with your potential catamaran. I would like to go that way if I were replacing my monohull. A problem for me would be more expensive berthing.
I like both so I'll stick with what I have until I win the lottery.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 14:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

In the last couple of years the genuine part anode for my Yanmar sail drive has been changed from a one piece zinc that required propellor removal to a 2 part aluminum anode easily changed. It's not labeled for salt water only as far as I'm aware. Maybe salt water use was assumed due to my location.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 00:09   #14

Boat: 1972 VENTURE-22

Quote:
Hey All!

Rob

Hello from a fellow 'Bubble head" "DBF" 3 boats. I found the people at West Marine to be helpfull. I have been working and making mod on a V-22 Hope to launch "Ahoogha Times 3" in may 16.
Ahoogha 3 times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:02   #15

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Soooo, if a person were to sail freshwater AND saltwater should they have more than one?
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrolysis