Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 11:42   #1

Boat: 1972 Morgan 35
Yard Fees

While asking about haul-out and yard fees at a local boat yard (the only local boatyard that allows an owner to their own work), I was aghast to learn that the fee for keeping my boat on the hard would be $1 per foot per day. For my Morgan 35, that's over $1000 per month!

The wetslip fees for the marina at that yard are $8 per foot per month. $280 per month with power and water available, and boat ready to go versus $1050 to have it in the yard.

That price includes nothing. Haul out is extra ($10 per ft), mast stepping/unstepping is extra (billed for actual labor, average $300).

I'm very new to this, but my land logic tells me the premium should be placed on the convenience of having the boat in the water, not the other way around. Is this the norm around the country, do yard fees exceed slip fees by three to four times, or am I looking at a crook?
nolandinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52   #2

Boat: Able 50
Re: Yard Fees

My last two stints in a yard cost $10 and $9/foot/month including haulout, wash, stands and launch.

When I launch next week the charge will rise to $18/foot/month plus electricity.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55   #3

Ok, now that sounds reasonable.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:59   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Yard fees and haulout fees are highly variable, and different regions have different characteristics. For example, in the summer in New England most yards don't charge any sort of daily fee--just haul and launch fees. However, in Florida and the south a daily fee is quite common. Sometimes it makes sense when you just need a quick haulout to paint the bottom and maybe change the zincs. Sometimes yards will skip the fee if you pay them to do some work, and depending on what you have done that might be cheaper than paying a daily fee.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22   #5

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

I will be hauling a 40' for the entire season ( season ends Nov. 15th ) this month in NJ for $1450. Includes haul, block and relaunch.

Dock fee for $1200 in water.
Old 11-05-2013, 13:49   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

High turnover yards do not like long stayers. Look for a yard that accepts boats for winter over. Likely better prices there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:21   #7

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

That price seems high, but you are in the hurricane belt and you will be storing it during hurricane season.

I would shop around.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:37   #8

How much storage space do they have? If you are clogging up a small yard, they may want you out as soon as possible. Also, is this a way to encourage people to pay them for work.

Our experience is down south where boats don't haul out for the winter, yard charges are higher. Up north where they often have lots of space to accomodate winter storage, it's little or nothing.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:18   #9

It's not a large yard, but none of them are down here. They have the room. I don't mean to be judgmental by this comment but there are boats in the yard that have been there a while, and by the look of them I feel sure that no one is spending $1000 per month storing them there.

I'll start Monday calling yards between Florida and Mississippi to see how rates run. Surely I can do better than that.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:33   #10

Have you tried asking about longer term rates? For marina slips, it nothing to pay $1.50/ft/day but monthly rates at similar marinas can be found for $12-15/ft/month. If you need long term storage, you can probably negotiate a better price.

Also, those derelick boats may be part of the reason they have the high price.

People may have just walked away. Now the owner has the hassle of a boat taking up space, no money coming in and to remove them costs money and has legal issues. If you raise the price, you don't get someone with marginal finances who puts the boat on blocks and after a few months gives up and walks away.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:55   #11

True. Excellent point.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32   #12

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

When negotiating anything it always helps to be clear about your payment plans. If you make it clear you plan to pay in full in advance you may be surprised how negotiable the monthly rate becomes.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:55   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
When negotiating anything it always helps to be clear about your payment plans. If you make it clear you plan to pay in full in advance you may be surprised how negotiable the monthly rate becomes.
Good point! I often walk into the boatyard with my checkbook in my hand so I can set it on the counter and begin by saying I'd like to pay up front if you'll cut me a deal--has worked several times.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:05   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

noland-
"Work" yards are often harder to find than storage yards. It sounds like they have lock on that, and they're really looking for the ten days worth of fee they get from the haulout ($10/ft instead of $1) to a make it more lucrative as they get higher turnover.
I like the checkbook-on-the-counter gambit!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:23   #15

Boat: Columbia 41

I pay $600 per month for a live-aboard berth. The closest marina with a travel lift charges $10 per foot for haul out and a pressure wash. There is an extra charge per day for the hard stand. So, I plan my work very carefully and have everything at hand before I make that phone call. I am out of the water at high tide on a Friday and back in on high tide on Monday morning.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote