Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 05:57   #16

Boat: Maxum 1800 18 ft
Re: Yanmar's Distributor / Dealer Protection Stinks . . .

I read this post and I would like to correct the statement that the dealer has to sell to you.This is totally false.They can and did refuse to sell my business yanmar parts after the owner attempted to strong arm me into doing machine shop work for him.I worked for this dealership for 10 years as a yanmar tech.Left in good standing,two weeks notice.Made a few transactions,then this came up.I took my order to the next closest dealer and they dropped the ball twice so far.Order the wrong seal then didn't order the correct one till stock order day's later.No sense of urgency to fix there own mistakes.Complained to regional sale manager.He stated that they protect there dealerships and that they are under no obligation to sell to anyone.Looking for a good yanmar dealer in florida.
crashlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:12   #17

Boat: Endeavour 40

Hey Everyone. This thread seems to have shifted from the original Yanmar Distributer/ dealer issue.
I am currently in the process of trying to buy a new 4JH57 engine. I can only buy it from a certified "dealer". I made a lot of phone calls. Some dealers were helpful and friendly, some wouldn't give me an outright price, some would, some blatantly lied to me about being able to / how they are 'required' to sell an engine. No problem so far- Find the cheapest price and buy it right? NOT. Apparently the Distributor can tell the Dealer whom they can sell to as well. I understand that the Dealers can only buy from their regions Distributor. But the Distributor being able to control a retailers customer base??? There has to be some law being broken there. My example: The Distributor for the North Eastern US sells the above engine Wholesale to the Dealer for over a Thousand dollars MORE than I could buy the engine Retail in the southern Gulf states. After dealer mark up (the guy has to make a living) buying the engine North of Georgia would cost over 5 THOUSAND dollars more than South of the South Carolina line. So, does the Northern distributor lower their prices to be more competitive? No. They try to prevent the sale. So much for a free market economy.
As this thread shifted around topic, someone mentioned going with the Beta. The mark up on those are even more than the Yanmar. If the Dealer in Singapore would ship me a Beta engine, I would get it for one fourth the price I was quoted here in the Eastern US. That makes it a 75% mark up. Wow. BTW, my quote for a Beta 43 was thousands MORE than the Yanmar 4JH57 quote I received from the Dealer in the gulf states.
Stonecipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:00   #18

Boat: Maxum 1800 18 ft

As a marine tech i recommend Yanmar engines as being on the top of the market.As far there policies,they protect there dealers from competition rather than letting the lowest bidder win.Depends on state law what the can get away with.
crashlarry is offline   Reply With Quote