Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 19:33   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Yanmar Paint Non-Aerosol

Can anyone suggest a US source for Yanmar metallic gray engine paint in a non-aerosol version? I need to touch up a couple spots and a simple brushed on paint would be best. Maybe a hobby shop?

Any help?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:17   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Yanmar Paint Non-Aerosol

Anyone
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:01   #3

Take some aerosol and spray on a panel then take it to the local.auto body paint supply.shop. they will.match it.perfect.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, I'm a redneck, I spray it into the cap and use it that way with a small brush but I would like a real supply though if you find one.
You just can't do anything close to detail with a spray can, it gets all over everything.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:22   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Peter-
If that's a "hammered" look gray? And just a few spots? Just spray some into a plastic cup, (use a plastic bag or box to contain the mist) then dip your brush in the paint that you've collected.
Auto body paint can be damned expensive, even if you just want a pint. And the guys at Ace Hardware can gladly match any "flat" color, but not a hammer-paint look. Although any hardware chain may have small cans of that, to match the spray stuff they DO stock. I just don't recall whose gray is how gray, or silver.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 13:44   #6

The paint on my vintage Yanmar (2005) is a medium gray metallic. Darker than silver, but only slightly. Maybe a "graphite"?

Not sure if a pic will be useful or not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030083.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	98463  
Old 07-03-2015, 19:53   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A silver-gray-graphite-whatever metallic, not a hammertone then.

What about just using a matching spray paint, after carefully masking off a small area, and using unfolded newspaper to make sure the "mask" is wider than the overspray would be? PITA, yes, but the result should be smoother as well. If it doesn't match exactly, it can be masked to look like another piece or panel at least.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 20:17   #8

While spray painting in such a confined space is possible, it would be so much easier to use a small throw-away brush and not have to mask all the surroundings. Not to mention the danger of inhaling the aerosol paint.

I am flabbergasted (I have never been able to use that term before!) that it is not possible to readily purchase a small, 4 oz. can of high temp medium gray metallic paint.
Old 07-03-2015, 20:25   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you truly want a hammered look to the finish, there is Hammertite paint. You can find it at most hardware stores, etc. It's tough, & durable, & in the original version, it lives up to it's name, in that it dries to a hammered looking finish. Home - Hammerite
And while they, as well as most other paint makers have color charts, why not just pop off the air filter housing & take It with you to assist with matching up colors?

Or... buy a fancy, light spectroscopy meter, to measure the exact frequency of the light on the paint's surface, and... once your wallet heals from it's purchase, snag a can of Krylon.

BTW, I can't say as to whether or not Hammertite makes heat resistant formulations or not. Though it's worth checking prior to buying it. Ditto on any other non-engine formulated paint.
Also, on auto body paint, as mentioned by another poster here, you can just buy the door ding, touch up sizes. They're smaller & cheaper than the other quantity mentioned. Not much bigger than a jar of fingernail polish.

BTW, ain't we overthinking this? Doesn't Yanmar have a basic, standard, gray color... and touchup kits of their own (albeit likely at "proprietary prices").

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, yanmar