Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-02-2007, 00:35   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yanking the Roller Furl - Going Hanked-On

Hey everyone! I have a Hans Christian cutter with a staysail (w/boom) and yankee on a furl. I'm planning on yanking the furling gear, and just going with a hanked on setup instead.

I need to drop the spar so I figured that this might be a good time to just go ahead and replace the furler with a simple wire.

Am I crazy for doing this?

My previous boat had a hanked on jib, and I loved the ability to fly multiple headsails. And any part of the boat that I look at with a bit of wonder and mysticism is bad, and that's how I look at the furler. What would I do if it broke?

I don't need anyone to convince me that I would miss the convenience of a furler; I'm quite happy using halyards and downhauls. But are furlers something that I should be scared of more than typical standing rigging?

Old 18-02-2007, 00:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
What ever floats your boat. Having the ability of having purpose sails is great as you can trim to get the best. A furled headsail is always a compramise when it is not fully out.
But ont he other hand, modern day furlers are very robust and easier to use and more reliable than the old ones.
Why do you need to take down the spar??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 07:53   #3

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
I have an old Hood 800 furler on my ketch. I could rig a staysail and make her into a cutter and have more sail options but my genny is a reefing sail and carries good shape down to about 50% and after that - it's more the size of a storm sail. The furling gear is old but works flawlessly. I personally prefer roller reefing to hank on especially with a bowsprit - I think this question is more one of personal preference and you seem to prefer more sail options so go for the hank-on jib but we older guys usually are willing to accept a little compromise for more safety and comfort.
Old 18-02-2007, 10:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In regards to safety and comfort, I would probably say that to me it's "safer" to have more secure standing rigging, but I can see what you mean that dropping a working jib to put the storm stuff up, on a bouncing bowspirit, is not exactly safe nor is it comfortable.

I'm dropping the mast because:

- It's wooden and needs new varnish.
- One of my spreaders is rotten, and needs to be replaced.
- My wind vane isn't working.
- I need to get another halyard up on the mast head.
- My desire to swap out the yankee's furler, but I might be changing my mind on that if no one is telling me that there are any problems with it.
- Spray some anti-fungal inside.

So there's basically a few reasons, most of which I could do without needing to pull the spar, but all of which will be made easier with it in the yard for a few days.
Old 18-02-2007, 10:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Rebel,
I've used roller furling but never owned one. I'm going to give it a try when I get my rigging together for a launch this year. Probably because I'm less athletic than I was 10 years ago and going out on the end of the bowsprit is a bit dicey when you are over 60.
I too like the ease of hanking on a different sail that has a good shape and is made for the wind condition. I've never found the furler to provide a sail shape that was "just right."
I've found that everything on a boat is a compromise and most decisions are personal preference.
Good luck on whatever decision you make.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 18-02-2007, 11:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
For me single handing 45ft, a Furler was essential. Along with the autopilot. If conditions get ruff, I don't even consider going forward of the main. Infact, apart from an initial heavey reef in the main, I don't go forward of the pilot house.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 16:21   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This spring right after launch I will be rerunning my reefing line. Once that is done the theory is no one has to go forward expect to anchor (furling headsail and main halyard/reefing line in cockpit). Of course if something jams or gets caught that tosses the idea out the window.

I put on a CDI furler 2 years ago. It goes over the existing headstay. It has more than paid for itself in convience and safty keeping people off the foredeck in the steep Chesapeake chop.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 18:12   #8

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
I would probably say that to me it's "safer" to have more secure standing rigging.
Your roller reefing gear does not make your standing rigging less secure.
Whether you have a roller or not you have a forestay.

If that is sound, it does not make any difference whether it is inside the roller spar or not.

Unless you are thinking of fitting two or more forestays.

And then there is the 'freedom' rig with no stays at all.

That would take away all your worries about whether your rig is secure or not.

No stays = nothing to go wrong = no worries...

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 00:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
I agree with Skipperaris! Just today I had pulled my forestay to replace with a new Furlex system.

A forestay is a forestay no matter what's around it.

BTW Skipperaris, your web site doesn't work........................_/)
Old 19-02-2007, 04:18   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
Stranger things happen at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
BTW Skipperaris, your web site doesn't work........................_/)
Thanks for telling me Delmarrey.
Now it does .
Maybe you called while it was out for lunch or something.

Have a look at the album BTW. The photos are much larger now.

skipperaris

web site
Old 19-02-2007, 09:48   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't be afrayed (frayed heasdstay, that is)

Quote:
skipperaris, he say:
Your roller reefing gear does not make your standing rigging less secure.
Not by the fact of it simply being installed, no. But if you can't see the stay, you can't visually inspect it. I admit, I'm a bit uneasy about my furler: I love the convenience, but don't like the mystery of what things might actually look like under there. Makes me bless Gerry Douglas for designing my mast with four lowers of over-sized wire.

Found this on another board: scroll down to post #25, This Happened To Me. Just because it's a MacGreggor doesn't mean it can't happen to a real boat.
Old 19-02-2007, 10:38   #12

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Why reduce your options by removing the foil and setting up your sails only to be hanked on?

IMHO I'd leave it be.

If you really like changing sails then do what all racers with foils do - slide down the sail on the foil - and hoist another. No hanks, but feeding the bolt rope up the foil.

Then you've the best of both worlds.
The ability to furl in if off the wind without having to go forward.
A sail bent on that can be deployed in an emergency from the cockpit.
And the ability to change sails if you so desire.

Kinda does not make sense to me to reduce those options - or go to the expense of hanks.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 19-02-2007, 14:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJeff
But if you can't see the stay, you can't visually inspect it. I admit, I'm a bit uneasy about my furler: I love the convenience, but don't like the mystery of what things might actually look like under there. Makes me bless Gerry Douglas for designing my mast with four lowers of over-sized wire.

Found this on another board: scroll down to post #25, This Happened To Me. Just because it's a MacGreggor doesn't mean it can't happen to a real boat.
Even if it is 'naked' you cannot visually inspect your forestay unless you make a habit of going up and down your mast all the time.

The top end of your forestay is hardly visible from deck level. And even the bottom end can fool you. Stays typically begin failing at the pressing and initially it is only one strand that parts. Then the rest follows eventually. You would have to be pretty sharp to see that one strand which has parted assuming you are in the right position.

As you are taking your mast down anyway, inspecting everything would be the right thing to do.

So just strip your furler, examine it carefully, fix whatever needs fixing and when all is well put it back. No mystery of what is lurking under there afer that.

Like this you'll know for sure what you have to worry about. The fear of the unknown is the worst.

Given the forces of wind and wave and Murphy's Law anything can fail. That's why you pay insurance.

Do an honest job of maintaining your boat and enjoy your sailing.

If you seriously contemplate on all things that can go wrong you should get out of that boat immediatelly and never go anywhere near it again.

And never get in a car again or cross a street. Way more perilous than a sailing boat.

You can take it from me that you cannot trust a boat any more than you can trust a woman, (present company excepted) but you simply have to.

As for that posting, it sounds like very bad science fiction or very desperate exercises devised by teachers to correspond to the subject being taught. Like the one about subtraction:-

Five birds are perched on a wire.
A hunter cames past and shoots one. How many birds are left?
You are supposed to say there are four birds left. Are there?

skipperaris

web site
Old 19-02-2007, 14:53   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Again I agree with Skipperaris!

Quote:
Do an honest job of maintaining your boat and enjoy your sailing.

If you seriously contemplate on all things that can go wrong you should get out of that boat immediatelly and never go anywhere near it again.
Part of owning a boat is keeping eye on things. Mainteance is one of the most important factors if one is going off shore as well as being organized.

BTW Skipperaris, the site just doesn't work on "Internet Explorer". My error

As for the birds, the rest flew away. T=
Old 19-02-2007, 15:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey

BTW Skipperaris, the site just doesn't work on "Internet Explorer". My error
One minute you say nice things and the next minute you are complaining about my site.

What exactly do you mean "doesn't work on "Internet Explorer". My error"?

What is your error? And are you really having a problem getting on my site? What happens? Do you get the dreaded 404 Error? Please explain.

I have just tested it on both Internet Explorer and Firefox and it works at least as well as my gib furling gear.

skipperaris

web site

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: