Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Y valve on waste system

Im going to be replacing a frozen y valve on my head next week, and before i get into it I was wondering if anyone had any tips to make it easier, for example getting the existing hoses off without damaging them.

Im thinking to get a heat gun on them to soften but are there any other techniques I should think about?

Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:12   #2
rbk

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Y valve on waste system

Cut the hoses and throw them away. Chances are they’re clogged and to make it easier on yourself get some new flexible Sani hose, not that hard sh*t. That alone will make the job easier and cleaner and remember not to stick your fingers in your mouth when doing this job

rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:13   #3

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Im going to be replacing a frozen y valve on my head next week, and before i get into it I was wondering if anyone had any tips to make it easier, for example getting the existing hoses off without damaging them.

Im thinking to get a heat gun on them to soften but are there any other techniques I should think about?
Yes on the heat gun, but is the design of the valve such that to can take it apart and service it? Most of the ones I have seen allow that. Also, are you using sea water for the flush? If so, you probably have quite a buildup of hard calcium in the hoses and valve, which may be why it's frozen. If you are using sea water, filling the lines repeatedly with the dilute acid of your choice may free the valve as well as clean out the lines.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:49   #4

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The only good way to soften hose without damaging it is with boiling hot water. it works especially good for assembly because you can dip the hose end in the water. I have tried with a heat gun and also a torch and cannot get the same results. I didn't think that the hot water trick would work good but then I tried it and was amazed.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 20:25   #5

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I've decided not to use a "y" valve as I see no trouble emptying the waste tank every few days while at sea. Of course I will have a ss ball vale below the water line which will have to be opened when ever I empty the waste tank.

Clive
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 21:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Wear disposable gloves��

As mentioned above, do you really need to remove the hoses? Most y valves can have the center control removed, leaving access to clean out any hard junk on the inside.
Old 09-11-2018, 23:57   #7

Boat: 44ft mono hull

I away from the boat right now but before I left I had a quick look at the valve but couldn't see any easy way to take it apart so assumed I needed to replace. But will Google the model when I get back and see if a rebuild is possible.

Removing hoses sounds like a can of work I really don't want to open!
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 00:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I away from the boat right now but before I left I had a quick look at the valve but couldn't see any easy way to take it apart so assumed I needed to replace. But will Google the model when I get back and see if a rebuild is possible.

https://www.google.com.au/search?sou....0.jP4AxypywB4

Clive
Old 10-11-2018, 00:42   #9
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I've decided not to use a "y" valve as I see no trouble emptying the waste tank every few days while at sea.
this makes more and more sense to me. direct to the waste tank and you don't need to worry about siphon loops and CG inspections.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21   #10

Heat gun, hot water, hair dryer. A hose pick can be handy depending on orientation....check autozone for that. Be aware the hose is usually spiral ribbed...therefore it will loosen or tighten depending on which way you twist to break it loose to get it off.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:59   #11

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff

RBK put it well. Throw out that old stuff and do not put your fingers in your mouth. Overall to everyone. There comes a time when you need to spend some money and change things to a modern system. Modern systems are not all made in China. If we really want to make America Great and Green, I suggest we start by making our own nuts, bolts screws and such... Shut down the Chinese product dominated packages stores by buying US built and guaranteed products. Bring back the quality AMERICAN HARDWARE STORE and people who appreciate a quality graded steel bolt. We are worth spending money on ourselves and getting the quality we deserve and expect. Nothing like a good large size head that works!
Makes a cruise more comfortable for everyone. Spend the money. Get it right! No odd ball crappers...
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 16:30   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

replaced mine a few months ago. the new one came with a tube of lubricant. I probably could have just lubed the old one but it was stuck hard. when reinstalling its hard to line up the bolts, a real PITA.
If this one jams I will use brute force to break the piece loose. nothing to lose if it breaks, $50 saved if it gives.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 18:14   #13

Boat: 55' Romsdal

That's not a Y valve. This is a Y valve.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/jabs...lve-45490-1000
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 22:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
That's not a Y valve. This is a Y valve.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/jabs...lve-45490-1000
Of course! (how careless of me)

In situations like that I usually use a hacksaw to cut the tube/hose diagonally where it attaches to the valve being careful not to damage the faucet.

Apparently these "Y "valves are a problem. I could give you a link to another forum however I'm not sure I am allowed to. But instead you could google
Heads-plumbing-Decent-Y-Valve (These guys have exactly the same problems)

Clive