Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2014, 18:28   #1

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
wrench/spanner query

Hi,

I have been trying to track down a 3/4" - 3" adjustable 1/8" pin spanner/wrench to allow me to service my hydraulic steering cylinders should the need arise.

I have attached a drawing of the spanner as they seem to go by various names.

I have tried Googling and even sent a query to Seastar's tech support - no response - and some tool suppliers but I haven't had any luck.

I'd be grateful if anyone could give me a heads up as to where I could purchase one of these spanners (or if you have one you don't need I'd be happy to buy it).

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spanner.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	81444  
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 18:47   #2

Re: wrench/spanner query

Haven't used one for years, 3/4" to 3" seems a big ask though.
Mostly made our own for the bigger stuff I worked on.

Evilbay has 3/4" to 2" and 1-1/4" to 3", just search "pin wrench" if that helps.
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 18:38   #3

Yes, I thought the same. The problem is not only the range (3/4" - 3") but also the larger wrenches (i.e. 3") seem to all have pins bigger than 1/8" diameter.

However this is the wrench specified in the Seastar/Capilano maintenance instructions.
Old 20-05-2014, 20:58   #4

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Proto Industrial Tools do a range of pin spanner wrenches (or C spanners if you prefer). A quick look shows that the Proto JC495 seems to almost match your spec. (1/4" pin diameter, 7/32" pin length, 1-1/4" to 3" capacity) - Easy to source from multiple places in the U.S. - MSC Industrial are usually a good source for that kind of thing.

Be aware that a pin size can refer to length or diameter, so when you say “also the larger wrenches (i.e. 3") seem to all have pins bigger than 1/8" diameter” are you sure you are not looking at length? Are you sure that the 1/8" pin in your diagram refers to diameter? You might have to do a bit of research but you can also try Armstrong, NuLine, etc. Unless you know that you need the full range of adjustment, it might pay you to measure and find out what exact size(s) you need.

In the U.K., Teng make a really nice set with multiple sizes, ends and pins. It’s pricey and of course metric, but I've used them and they are really nice quality. You can also try Cromwell Tools.

If you are really in Shenzhen, there are some fabulous tool shops both there and in Hong Kong. The factories that make some well known brands often take the same tools, re-brand them and sell them locally for a fraction of the "western" price. Not everything that comes out of china is poor quality. Take a picture with you as translation might be a bit difficult. If you don't know where to go, find a local workshop and ask them where to buy tools. Or stop by Zhuhai on practice day and ask people working on their bikes/cars. There are often a bunch of Hong Kong based ex-pats there as well, or at least there used to be.

Also, Progressive Suspension make one for adjusting motorcycle suspension, so if there is a motorcycle shop nearby.... I just measured the one in my toolbox and the range is right although the "pin" was difficult to measure, but it's made from flat stock so you can always grind it a bit, if necessary. It's probably made in China and available under several names.

Good luck.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 21:35   #5

These are the most common suppliers of that sort of tool that I know of:

McMaster-Carr

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/?...973+4288237741

http://www.grainger.com/product/PROT...9a8?s_pp=false

It looks like you will need 2 tools to cover the range of diameters that you want.

I would take a look at the actual spanner nuts that you have to check the pin hole size.

In a pinch, it is possible to grind down the diameter of a pin if needed. Some wrenches also let you change the pins as a replacement part. In that case, it is possible to get a step pin to let you use a different diameter. Any machine shop with a lathe can make you a step pin.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 23:56   #6

Boat: Ct 37

Snap on also has a good selection of them aswell I don't recall what I paid but don't think it was very much
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 06:29   #7

thanks

Tags
enc