Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 07:59   #106

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Would you get rid of a self steering wind vane if you had one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmick39 View Post
I prefer easier access to solar panels, mounted on the davits, & access to the dinghy hanging under those davits.
Well, once you're happy with these items you will probably do little sailing anyhow, which is when the windvane is most useful.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:20   #107

I did 53,000 miles around the Pacific islands & my windvane steered me 52,000 of it.

I don't know how an auto pilot works on a yacht. I found on most passages the wind would wander through about 20 degrees, certainly too much to sail a compass course without constant sail adjustments.

I found with experience I developed a very good feel for the course made good in this shifting wind. I also had an inverted compass screwed to the deck head above my bunk to signal any large wind shift. A wind vane is my choice for ant passage over about 20 miles.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:18   #108

Well for me I look at the use of the boat and what the wife wants to be happy as a sailor. So, take off the vane and store it as someone who buys the boat later might want it. Up grade the electronics and call it good. We have a Catalina 34 with auto pilot and have never had a vane (boat is 88) but then we don't do cross ocean cruising either. We sail Pudget sounds and the West Coast around Washington up to Canada. Auto pilot for us does well and really good instruments.
barmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:51   #109

Boat: Rafiki 37

As usual, those who have and use windvanes think they’re the cat’s pyjamas, and those that don’t use vanes can’t understand why cats would ever want to wear pyjamas.

Typical CF thread .
Old 03-06-2019, 09:54   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Small 3-day sail from Astoria to Coos Bay Oregon. On the third day Gale winds blew out my staysail and almost blew out my main. Quartering seas the whole time. Without my monitor windvane we couldn't have made the voyage. End of story.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:59   #111

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Something else I might add, we use our monitor with the dinghy in tow all the time, while in the Bahamas, and other locations as well, never an issue for us, although the dinghy is on the fore deck when We cross to and from the Bahamas.
We as well use our vane for short day sails.
I will say this, we will be adding a tiller pilot set up to our monitor for use when there is no wind or the wind is on the nose, hand steering is fine, but after hour ten it does start to get old, kinda like me

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:05   #112
Marine Service Provider

I’ve been readying my boat for cruising and recently priced a couple new wind vanes.. 😱. Needles to say if anyone is getting rid of one to add a ladder or a swim step, I’d say go for it! Then send me the vane. I’ll even pay shipping. Lol.

I’ve never used one but would love to have one...
Akafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:05   #113

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Pegu, you're going to love the tiller pilot to windvane setup! It uses very little power and gives you a cheap electric autopilot for the times you need one.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:07   #114

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyMcFLy View Post
1973 Formosa 41 Ketch with Monitor wind vane and CPT autopilot. Getting rid of the monitor and sending it to the dumpster. Doesn’t work well. Mizzen and full aft cockpit enclosure. Heavy boat. CPT has steered the boat flawlessly the last 2500 miles (we are in Panama).

In the days before solar panels it made sense but now we have 4 ways to keep the batteries charged (solar, wind, generator, engine).
Once you get your Monitor off, I'll pay shipping for it to keep it out of the dumpster.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:13   #115
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Like so many threads here, this one too has been interesting and worthwhile. Yet to me - considering the varying opinions shared - it would be valuable indeed if the OP would extend the courtesy in return sharing....

1. His decision,

2. His rationale.

This not only seems fair but would be of value to all who took the time to post, and itself would be educational....
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:14   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Get rid of it. Most of the CF populous have their heads stuck in the 1970s-80’s sand... technology has moved on.
Stupidest comment I’ve seen this month.

I cross oceans. I don’t have a vane. My next project is to install a vane.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:15   #117

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Pegu, you're going to love the tiller pilot to windvane setup! It uses very little power and gives you a cheap electric autopilot for the times you need one.
That is what we have read, we believe it will be a good addition.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:26   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why go to the trouble of having one made when something like this which we use is on sale at West Marine for $159.
Because that is a flimsy piece of crap.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Get rid of it, no question about it. A food autopilot will run circles around a wind vane any time. The current consumption is minimal compared to other loads on a modern boat, new autopilots (last 10 years) have many advanced features to deal with waves, etc. You can easily carry autopilot spares for little money. Most of my buddies with older boats are gradually getting rid of them. No racing crew I know of uses a wind vane. It is really an older mindset to keep using a wind vane, along with a sextant, magnetic compass, SSB... unless it is your hobby, like for the SSB in my case. Get a modern 3D compass/autopilot with a properly sized drive and learn how to use it well. Then go in force 6-7 sea and test it again your wind vane. Then get rid of the vane. Treasure progress. Do not live in the past.

SV Pizzazz
Says the guy in MDR with a Hunter 31!

Of course racing crews don’t use wind vanes. They don’t use autopilot, either. They have full crews and helmsmen.

Have you ever made a 20-day passage? In your own boat? Single or double-handed? It certainly does not sound like it.

You say don’t live in the past, but in the event of a power failure it will be difficult to reach the future with your system offshore. The naiveté is astounding.

It sounds like you’re set up for crossings to Two Harbors on clear days.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:28   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmitch View Post
Well for me I look at the use of the boat and what the wife wants to be happy as a sailor. So, take off the vane and store it as someone who buys the boat later might want it. Up grade the electronics and call it good. We have a Catalina 34 with auto pilot and have never had a vane (boat is 88) but then we don't do cross ocean cruising either. We sail Pudget sounds and the West Coast around Washington up to Canada. Auto pilot for us does well and really good instruments.
Well, that is the difference between you and people who recommend vanes.

Tags
self steering, steering, wind, wind vane