Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 12:03   #76

Re: Would you buy it? Fibreglass over Mahogany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I think they have gotten the oak from here for the Morgan rebuild. Natural knees.
Maybe, not sure they are natural crooks or just sawed off thick oak stumps. The English use to grow oaks into shapes that would provide natural knees, hangers, and the like. Going through the Morgan's restoration, was amazed at the size of everything, even the new planks. Some heavy wood. What was even more interesting is the use of old fashion tools to do most of the work.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:17   #77

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
With all the boats available in the world I don't understand why someone would get one that they have a "concern" about construction wise. And I definitely wouldn't allow a bunch of forum responses out weigh a concern.

But that's just me.
Don, I reckon that many folks here on CF would agree with that sentiment... and not buy a Hunter. One just has to pick which prejudices one will honor.

Jim
Old 04-02-2016, 13:25   #78

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Maybe, not sure they are natural crooks or just sawed off thick oak stumps. The English use to grow oaks into shapes that would provide natural knees, hangers, and the like. Going through the Morgan's restoration, was amazed at the size of everything, even the new planks. Some heavy wood. What was even more interesting is the use of old fashion tools to do most of the work.
The thing that sticks with me from the Morgan was the length of the bunks. Those whalers must have been short? Mystic Seaport was a great place. I hope it is being maintained. A great piece of maritime history.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 14:09   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The thing that sticks with me from the Morgan was the length of the bunks. Those whalers must have been short? Mystic Seaport was a great place. I hope it is being maintained. A great piece of maritime history.
People back then were short. Average height of a male was a bit over 5'4". Change in diet solved that problem.Same thing happened in Japan after the war. Go from carbos to proteins and you gain a lot of height.
The Morgan has been almost totally rebuilt, and can now go sailing under its own sails. Basically good if not better than new.
Old 04-02-2016, 14:39   #80

Quote:
People back then were short. Average height of a male was a bit over 5'4". Change in diet solved that problem.Same thing happened in Japan after the war. Go from carbos to proteins and you gain a lot of height.
The Morgan has been almost totally rebuilt, and can now go sailing under its own sails. Basically good if not better than new.
Great! Last I had been on her is close to sixty years ago. She was sitting in the mud.
Old 04-02-2016, 15:27   #81

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
I'm 5' 6" and find it much less of a "problem" to find a boat with good headroom and comfy berths than folks who are over 6'. I'm working on a Hans Christian 38 at the moment and if you are tall and want to share the Vee berth with your partner she/he had better be a double amputee.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 15:29   #82

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Don, I reckon that many folks here on CF would agree with that sentiment... and not buy a Hunter. One just has to pick which prejudices one will honor.

Jim
Very well put Jim.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 16:10   #83
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Guess that was your way of saying that it's OK for you have an opinion, but not me just because I own a Hunter.

Normally I wouldn't know of your post as I have you on ignore so I don't read your witty way around the nice rule. But someone quoted you and ruined my attempt.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:26   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I'm 5' 6" and find it much less of a "problem" to find a boat with good headroom and comfy berths than folks who are over 6'. I'm working on a Hans Christian 38 at the moment and if you are tall and want to share the Vee berth with your partner she/he had better be a double amputee.
You summed up my thoughts on vee berths. Footsy was fine under a table when young.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
One could chop down one's sailing partner to fit the berths. Not sure what you would do with the left over limbs.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:24   #86

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Guess that was your way of saying that it's OK for you have an opinion, but not me just because I own a Hunter.

Normally I wouldn't know of your post as I have you on ignore so I don't read your witty way around the nice rule. But someone quoted you and ruined my attempt.
My heart is broken...

But you have misconstrued my post, I fear. My point is that everyone has some prejudices about boats that influence their buying choices. You said that you had concerns about timber construction that would lead you to not buy such a vessel. To me, this sort of fixed idea is similar to those who would not buy a Hunter,or a Beneteau, or a .... whatever, and that likely this may cause folks to miss out on a good boat for them.

Jim
Old 05-02-2016, 14:08   #87

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

This may be slightly off topic, but the point was raised in a previous comment.

Do you mean to tell me that people on this forum actually use the "ignore" function to filter comments from others that they disagree with?

Seriously?
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 14:17   #88

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

They're oh so sensitive.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 14:29   #89

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Hmmmmm...I find all the differing opinions quite interesting...even if not accurate or factual.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 14:34   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Hmmmmm...I find all the differing opinions quite interesting...even if not accurate or factual.
Sometimes I enjoy the tit for tat.

Tags
glassed, mahogany