Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07   #1

Wood Work.

Hi, How are you guys? I have a 1975 Vindo MS 50 ketch, and she is in need to get her deck and the wood in cabin and cockpit redo. I'm in NYC area and am thinking about about sailing south on spring to get it done somewhere in the Caribe or Central America. Do you guys know here there is teak plantation closest to me? Or which country would be best to have it don as for coast? thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
victorCesarBota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Wood Work.

Last i head Trinidad and Tobago was still the place for cheap wood work. But I haven't dealt with it in about 10 years. There may be other suggestions with more recent experience.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 14:02   #3

Boat: C&C Newport 41

South wont help you too much... go West (really really far West).

Not sure how serious you are about this and / or what your budget is but...

Find a local woodworker that specializes in fine custom wood working and have them design on board, build in their shop and assemble and install on board.

While you can resaw 5/4, there is no getting around paying $35 per board foot for teak.

As you are doing a significant amount of work, you might consider using mahogany and 'do it all' considering the cost of replacing teak you can just redo the entire interior in an alternate wood source as you can redo 30% in teak.

Lye (cooking spray) will age your mahogany.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 14:06   #4

Boat: Nassau 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorCesarBota View Post
Hi, How are you guys? I have a 1975 Vindo MS 50 ketch, and she is in need to get her deck and the wood in cabin and cockpit redo. I'm in NYC area and am thinking about about sailing south on spring to get it done somewhere in the Caribe or Central America. Do you guys know here there is teak plantation closest to me? Or which country would be best to have it don as for coast? thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Costa Rico has a lot of teak plantations planting renewable trees.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:09   #5

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

I would find a local cabinet guy who is willing to find and re-purpose teak. I do this all the time through CList, search 'mid-century teak furniture". some will be teak veneer but some will be solid wood and generally pennies on the dollar vs new lumber. I just scored a solid dining room table for $50, it was badly stained and water marked but the underside was pristine so a little millwork and it yielded almost 30BF of beautiful 5/8" honey teak.

of course if youre looking to re-deck the long pieces are going to be harder to find, maybe look to gluing down 1/4" apitong or similar, but the majority of your interior should be shorts...

my .02
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote