Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2011, 15:42   #1

Wood vs grp, et al

In the research/prep (ROOKIE) stage: I often hear/read "Don't get a wooden boat" Why not? Seems like with the spring chores there should be a lot said on the topic. Anyone?
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 15:48   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Wood vs grp, et al

EVERYONE has something to say on this one... and they are all correct. It's a very personal preference.

I've had both and would never go back to wood. Love to look at them, adore sailing a friend's restored Holiday 32, would never own one again. For me a wooden boat is too demanding a mistress!

My friend with that beautiful Holiday? He has one of each and loves them both... but he spends ALL his time keeping the Holiday in shape and never gets to actually working on the GRP...

And a search will bring up an enormous amount of debate on this topic, cause it's all been said before.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 15:50   #3

Boat: grampian 26

A wooden boat is like a difficult relationship.You are constantly working on it.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 15:58   #4

My boat is wood except for the hull, and that's still *a lot* of wood. Decks, cabintop, bowsprit, booms, spar, cockpit, etc. I do way more work on my boat than my "plastic-fantastic" counterparts.

It's just a ton more work. I'll easily spend ~50 hours a year just on my decks alone, and my boat is hardly Bristol. I've got like three different paint jobs going at once right now, some terrible repairs that "work" but aren't pretty, and some rot that I need to fix before I can really put the rig under stress.

I really don't mind it though and have come to accept it. If I had to do it all over again I'd go the same route. My last boat was an all fiberglass Ericson so I've been on that side of the coin.

With a wooden boat you will either become a good wood worker, your boat will break, or you will spend a lot of money.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 16:00   #5

Figured it would. I just hear how much work they are, and was hoping to hear details. Carpentry in and of itself isn't a personal deterent, but if there are safety or finance issues I'd like to find out. Yes I know wood is cozy, AND that it rots. I also know I hate fabricating in fiberglass, and it isn't (to me) cozy. What I don't know is how does that translate into To Do lists and drowning. Also, any Folkboat specific info would be greatly appreciated. And now the Search box-Thanx Sara.
Old 29-03-2011, 16:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Figured it would. I just hear how much work they are, and was hoping to hear details. Carpentry in and of itself isn't a personal deterent, but if there are safety or finance issues I'd like to find out. Yes I know wood is cozy, AND that it rots. I also know I hate fabricating in fiberglass, and it isn't (to me) cozy. What I don't know is how does that translate into To Do lists and drowning. Also, any Folkboat specific info would be greatly appreciated. And now the Search box-Thanx Sara.
If you like working on wood and you know how to do it a wooden boat might really be up your alley. A lot (all, in fact) of the people I know who hate wooden boats are not carpenters and don't get joy out of working on a boat a lot.

I'd much rather scarf in wood and do the repair myself then pay money for some moron in a boat yard (sorry, but there are a lot of morons out there) $75 an hour to do a substandard repair. A lot of people just want to go sailing and don't want to sit there making a scarfing jig. I can't blame them, but I'm okay with the work. It's a good way to spend time.
Old 29-03-2011, 16:11   #7

Great resource for those of us with termites (a.k.a. wooden boats):

The WoodenBoat Forum
Old 29-03-2011, 16:12   #8

Is rot just absolutely unavoidable, or can good proactive tratment prevent this- (dry, clean, seal)? Sorry about the naivete, just don't want to spend thaousands of dollars making a big, preventable mistake.
Old 29-03-2011, 16:14   #9

Thnx rebelheart. I've been coasting that forumn and like it a lot, but if you think the folks here get off topic...
Old 29-03-2011, 16:22   #10

Plus, there's a big difference between upkeep and building. I love wood, but seriously can't see myself building from scratch or doing one of those hospice rebuilds I see there- I respect those folks, but that's beyond my inclination and ability. On the other hand, I think I could manage the upkeep and repair of a solid boat. It's the damned curves...
Old 29-03-2011, 16:44   #11

Quote:
Is rot just absolutely unavoidable, or can good proactive tratment prevent this- (dry, clean, seal)? Sorry about the naivete, just don't want to spend thaousands of dollars making a big, preventable mistake.
Quote:
Plus, there's a big difference between upkeep and building. I love wood, but seriously can't see myself building from scratch or doing one of those hospice rebuilds I see there- I respect those folks, but that's beyond my inclination and ability. On the other hand, I think I could manage the upkeep and repair of a solid boat. It's the damned curves...
It's definitely easier to start with something that isn't all smashed up and that's had regular maintenance done to it. And for the most part rot is unavoidable although you can certainly minimize it. Often I've just slapped some paint on something not because it's a perfect paint job but because I don't want it to rot.

Those curves make the boats so pretty, it sucks.
Old 29-03-2011, 16:57   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

hey paint is what holds a lot of wooden boats together.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 18:01   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

And then there is the compromise of "modern" timber construction: strip plamk composite or cold molded, both done with epoxy resins and a layer of glass to keep out the worm.

With these techniques you can get the ambiance of timber and the freedom from traditional wood worries.

Works for me!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable iI lying Morning cove, NSW, Oz
Old 29-03-2011, 18:08   #14

I'm with Rebel.. I'm still debating on what kind of boat I want.. I know that in the long run, the boat rebel is talking about is probably the best mix of great wood accents and cabinets, but a solid fiberglass hull.. I've known both types of people and I'm still trying to find my way.. I really have to prioritize if I want more sailing then polishing...

But man, when you see a nearly perfect wooden boat, it is absolute heaven to me... But, I do remember that there is a full time crew of 5 working on it all the time...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 18:09   #15

How do the composites hold up to water? Also, I thought turpentine put an end to "the worm"? Learning here folks...