Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2012, 13:30   #61

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Re: Wood Hull Repair Toredo Worm

When I say epoxy is not magic goo , this is exactly what I mean.
"Saturation" is not possible in a plank. "Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique" has to do with using one sixteenth or one eighth thick lams (cold molding) , when hit from both sides , may saturate.
Take the worm infected plank off and replace it .
Burning worms out is for deadwood and worm shoe , not hull planking.
Please stop trying to kid yourself.

Old 19-08-2012, 14:29   #62

Boat: 1950's Lakes Cruiser

Thanks for that info awab - and your english is just fine - I sound like non english when the equipment does not have spell check - my problem is that the boat can't stay out of the water more than 2 days - in a previous thread I recieved lots of advice in keeping the boat out of the water more than 2 days ( Garden hose sprinkler spray etc) but that will also keep the worm alive - would it not ? MVR

Old 19-08-2012, 14:30   #63
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Kerfing the planks would also remove yet more material and make the problem even worse. This is not a good idea and I sure hope you don't do it.
Old 19-08-2012, 15:32   #64
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Fascinating thread.

I really feel for you awab. You are in a difficult situation. It is tough to accept advice that is telling you that you have a major project when you were hoping for a quick fix.

First let me say that you need to listen to what Minaret is saying. Toredos are serious business and if you dont respond properly the next time tou have to deal with it it will likely be to abandon your boat since it will likely be unseaworthy.

I have built a couple small woodies and owned and restored a 70 year old woodie that was based out of malaysia. Toredo central let me tell you.

If you love your boat, or even if she just makes you feel tingly you had better prepare yourself. A proper job involves:

1. pulling ALL planks with any visible holes.
2. You will have to cut them. If there are only a couple small holes you can start fore and aft of the entry point and start chopping the wood with a saw until you see no more tunnels in the wood. If what you have left is more than 3 frame lengths long you can re use it. This is a restoration technique however to preserve original wood and is is usually faster to cut and spile a new plank. If you cant do it, well its time to learn.
3. All adjacent planks need to be inspected, usually this means removing them. Good time to inspect your fasteners, its never a bad time to inspect fasteners on a woodie if you get an opportunity!!!
4. Now comea the real nightmare keep you awake at night moment....unlike termites or wood ants, toredos dont care as much about grain in wood. They are much more likely to make right angles when chewing. What this means is that now that your frames are exposed with the planks off you need to inspect them really closely for entry holes. Find one and you have entered a whole new level of hurt.

Not that this forum isnt full of serious experts like Minaret and others, but it wouldnt hurt to also look into the woodenboat forum.

Just brace yourself, they dont pull their punches...

Edit:

Another thing..

...anyone who recommends the use of epoxy on planking, framing, or any other working member of a wood boat should be keel hauled and made to sit in a marine materials science class every day for eternity. Epoxy is brittle, wood is flexible. The point of contact between the two has been proven to ALWAYS catastropically fail is the wood is undergoing work cycles which all working members of a wood hull do. It is not if but when, 6 months or 10 years it will go without any warning whatsoever...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 15:59   #65

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

I am "Wizbang 13" over on the Wooden Boat Forum.
I am usually one of the most "pro" epoxy guys there. But I know when not to use it .
My own epoxy /wood boat is 30 years old , I built it when I was young.
never had a worm.
Old 19-08-2012, 16:12   #66

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

thanks for all the advise
peter
Old 19-08-2012, 16:13   #67
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith
I am "Wizbang 13" over on the Wooden Boat Forum.
I am usually one of the most "pro" epoxy guys there. But I know when not to use it .
My own epoxy /wood boat is 30 years old , I built it when I was young.
never had a worm.
I must assume it is either strip planked or plywood?

Not to be superfluous as Epoxy has its uses but on a carvel planked vessel, especially with the experience level the OP seems to have , its use is usually the beginnign of death for the vessel.

Old 19-08-2012, 16:16   #68
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab
hello again
this boat was sailing in heavy weather from havanna to north carolina. Why now with some worm holes it should not be strong anymore. I am not talking about a totally rotten hull.
I think it is time to check out.
Thanks for the effort but I have the feeling you guys are board and talk nonsense.

all the best
peter
Could be totally fine.

Pull the bad plank. Cut it up to see and replace it. A days work and a morning to pay the seams and caulk.

Pull the planks next to it to see if they have any holes. If not then prob ok, if so then trouble.

Could be easy could be hard, You wont know if you dont pull that first plank.

Old 19-08-2012, 16:24   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Be sure to show this discussion to anyone who you may talk into going to sea with you.
Old 19-08-2012, 16:29   #70

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well awab, if ya think folks on here are bored!! then just go ahead and epoxy up your wooden boat and leave the worms in there !!! but be sure your Insurence is paid up on the boat and on your life !! cus your an accident waiting to happen !! When someone like Minaret tell ya something like they did ya better believe it cus this is their trade !! they know what they are speaking about !! Lots of luck to ya with your Ideas about fixing a wormy boat!! cus your gonna need it !! I feel for ya !! but if ya get your head out of the dark place it's in, maybe you will see folks are trying to help ya not mess with ya !!! just my 2 cents
Old 19-08-2012, 17:12   #71

I am fine with the the statement that epoxy is brittle in relation to wood.
What else could be the replacement. Lets say I take a router 1 inch bit. Cut a canal as long I see the problem. Now I clue a 1 inch piece of wood in it. Should be fine.

I am not at the boat right now. I make research of the options I have.
I totally understand that pulling the plank is the right way. When it comes to make the work I will do the best in my possibilities.

I am not sure this speculations about how poor I am or this could be the beginning of a insurance scam has something to do with this post.

thanks again for your patience.
peter

to MV-Romnya

I had awab out of the water already for more then 8 month. Nothing happend. I dont have experience in very dry climate. Its a little bit like storage cigars. I cuba you don t need a humidor. Here in italy they try out terrible fast.
A month out of the water should not be a problem for any boat and if you want and can you can always keep it wet in having water - I have always salt in the bilge-in the bilge and sprinkle it from the outside. In killing the worm it would be better to have some clorox in the water to prevent rod not salt.
Be carefull not having to much sun on one side of the boat. Have a cover for the sun side. The worm normally lives only 14 days outside the water and needs saltwater for his survival. So sprinkeled sweet water is not helping him.
hope this helps

peter
Old 19-08-2012, 18:16   #72
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Foolish, good advice from a clearly experienced marine carpenter there.

While "short-planking" is pretty common in the industry, it is also something that guys in the more high end shops tend to mock. We call a short plank a "Dutchman". The more butt blocks you have the more likely you are to spring a butt. The nicest wooden boats I have worked on have full length planks, without a single butt. Seen some pretty large examples of this construction in older boats. One was a 70' Geary schooner with teak planking. Can you imagine how much trouble you'd be in with the yard foreman if you split the hood end of a 70' plank steaming it in!? Sadly those days are long gone.
I know you are aware of that fact, just thought I'd record my opinion for posterity...
Old 19-08-2012, 22:45   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

I can hardly imagine a 70' teak plank. I won't go any shorter than four stations on a plank scarph. Just won't do it.
Old 19-08-2012, 23:07   #74
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I can hardly imagine a 70' teak plank. I won't go any shorter than four stations on a plank scarph. Just won't do it.

You scarph carvel planks? What kind of scarph do you use? I was always taught that a butt block is superior, even when short planking.
Old 20-08-2012, 01:03   #75

hello
perhaps it is the language and I don t make myself clear.

Imagine the plank. Inside the plank are the round long carvings from the toredo.
It would be not possible to only fill the hole with epoxy. Result would be only blocking the entry for max some inches. no good.

The idea.
Take a plunge router 1/2 inch router bit and make a cut half the depht of the plank
as long as the passage way of the toredo. Then you leave lets say 1 inch and make another cut. The cuts are parallel to the plank.
Now I would take 1/2 inch wood stripes and clue them in place, fasten them to the stations. This would produce a result like a key for a lock.
I would say this is very strong and the epoxy part is minimal.

If I would see after making the cut with the router the wood is damaged to much I can still take the plank off and replace it.

thanks again
peter

Tags
hull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: