Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2012, 06:21   #1

Wood Deck has been Fiberglassed

Hello Cruisers-
I am new to the forum and was hoping for some help.
Quick background - I grew up cruising Lake Erie with my Grandfather on his incredible Flying Bridge Lyman (30' Islander named Day Tripper, CYC). I have always wanted a Lyman of my own so I began a search to find a nice runabout, Offshore, or Cruisette.
I have come across a boat that I am interested in that is in very nice condition but the deck has been fiberglassed. I am aware that this can cause problems but I think it was done correctly - no signs of moisture that is visible from below.
My question to you all is, assuming the job was done correctly (over plywood), do you think this is a deal breaker? Too much room for problems down the road?
I always imagined having a bright shiny teak deck to admire while cruising, but I can get past that because its a good boat at a good price for me. I just need to determine if this is acceptable.
Thanks so much for any assistance!
SMC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 06:52   #2

Boat: 47 Ft Donzi
Re: Wood Deck has been Fiberglassed

allot of boat owners and manufactures are removeing teak all together from thier vessels, due to the onoing high maintenance. Were the decks redone with polester,vinyl ester or epoxy . Ask the seller if they have any pictures of the refit . I have done several through my comany and they wont hold up unless done correctly. message me back if you need more advisment
gelcoatjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 06:52   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC77 View Post
Hello Cruisers-
I am new to the forum and was hoping for some help.
Quick background - I grew up cruising Lake Erie with my Grandfather on his incredible Flying Bridge Lyman (30' Islander named Day Tripper, CYC). I have always wanted a Lyman of my own so I began a search to find a nice runabout, Offshore, or Cruisette.
I have come across a boat that I am interested in that is in very nice condition but the deck has been fiberglassed. I am aware that this can cause problems but I think it was done correctly - no signs of moisture that is visible from below.
My question to you all is, assuming the job was done correctly (over plywood), do you think this is a deal breaker? Too much room for problems down the road?
I always imagined having a bright shiny teak deck to admire while cruising, but I can get past that because its a good boat at a good price for me. I just need to determine if this is acceptable.
Thanks so much for any assistance!
Welcome aboard SMC77.

The answer is in the question . Assuming the job was done correctly.

Glass over high grade marine ply using epoxy will last a lifetime (almost!) if done correctly. Of course I am biassed having a 40 yr old ply boat (now epoxied) but that aside, it is a sound method of decking. You need to keep the paint up, epoxy hates UV.

However done poorly and especially done poorly with polyester resin, it will be a nightmare and for me, a deal breaker.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 06:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

More tha likely, they fiberglassed to deck because it was leaking. The only problem that I can foresee is if they fiberglassed over rotten wood. On the other hand, if it was done a while back and there are no signs of leaks or soft areas on the deck, I'm sure all will be OK.
A surveyor would definitely know immediately after looking at it.
If you intend to get hull insurance, the insurance company would want a survey.
If you dont want insurance, you can get a surveyor at a fairly decent rate because you wont need a wriiten report and he would just be looking at key items.
You have to be careful with older boats because you could be buying disaster in the making.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 07:01   #5

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I will make my calls and find out just how much is known about the refit. There are some real solid guys at the marina looking after the boat for the current owner. They are both ex Coast Gaurd and are all about safety. They assure me the boat is very seaworthy and safe, but I will find out what they know about the deck.
SMC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 08:27   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A Lyman eh!!-beautiful boats.
Can you see the underside of the deck. If water has penetrated the veneers you will most likely see gritty, stained surfaces.
Old 24-05-2012, 08:38   #7

Many boat projects were done this way as new, sail and motorboats. Usually just lightweight boatcloth over the ply. Not sure about longevity though... a lot of issues on some boats, but maybe it's just a maintenance issue. Definitely not an easy boat to sell I imagine, so buy wisely!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck