Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 11:31   #1

Boat: Aries 32
Wiring Diagram - Connect the Dots

I'm trying to figure out how to hook all the bits and pieces of my electrical system together, and I can't find a complete reference. I have the following:

* Starter battery (12v G27 "marine" battery, could be replaced/upgraded)
* House bank (4 T-105s)
* Installed ON/OFF switch (that I'm not opposed to replacing)
* Factory (55a?) alternator (Westerbeke W-30)
* Installed TrueCharge10TB charger (I know, it's too small, but I'm cheap and its there and seems to work)
* LinkLite monitor (uninstalled)
* BlueSea Dual Sensing Isolation Relay (uninstalled)

Could someone help connect the dots?

Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:41   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
I don't believe I'd trust anyone but an expert to keep your boat from frying. You might get Niger Calder's Boat Electrical and Mechanical book. Best diagrams and advice I've seen
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42   #3

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
We don't have the isolation relay, but I'd be happy to send you our wiring diagram which includes the other components you mention. It's a Word document that you can easily customize with the simple drawing tools. We've cruised a ton of miles over twelve years with this setup.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:45   #4

NewMoon - I'd appreciate that. It's dustymc@gmail.com.

That's really great advice, Anzo, and it's precisely who I'm looking for. But, I think we might have different ideas about who qualifies as "expert." I'm looking for help from the folks who are willing to openly share what they know, knowing that it'll be critiqued by who-knows-how many other folks with at least as much experience as they do - the sort of people who make this place what it is. I think you might be referring to people who get paid for their opinion, and in whom I have very little preemptive faith. I paid some guy with a fancy business card to survey this boat, and I'm not sure he'd have noticed had the PO had mounted the Westerbeke on top of the mast. I'd happily pay for good advice, but I'm pretty burned out on the idea that "experts" are identifiable as the folks who charge for advice. After all, as far as I know I could get a few cards printed up and be a fully certified Marine Electronics Expert by sometime later this afternoon.

PS: I'm perfectly willing to pay someone to help/do this for me, so if you're an identifiable expert looking for a job in the SF Bay area.....
Old 02-12-2010, 17:15   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
There are many ways to determine the reputation and credentials of "experts"

What business are you in ?, I might want to check up on you
Old 02-12-2010, 18:02   #6

Boat: deboated
Firstly most experts dont call themselves experts and as for fancy business cards as you said anyone can print them up. By asking around you can usually come up with someone reliable who others have used. In all fields of endeavour there are good and bad so nothing new there. One way I have found with picking the good from bad is asking them to explain why they are going to do something a certain way. If they become uncomfortable, start the "I have not got time to waste explaining" get someone else. Yes they can tell you a load of bull dust but you can usually work out the bull from there manner.
On the other hand some like to believe the giver of free advice over the one that charges to justify not having to pay.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 18:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
There are many ways to determine the reputation and credentials of "experts"

What business are you in ?, I might want to check up on you
I figure there are two obvious ways to determine "expertness" here - public scrutiny, such as on this forum, or give someone a bunch of money and see if my boat burns down.....

I'm a biologist/datajanitor. If you see any bloody little electrons swept under the rug I want them back.

And thanks for the schematic NewMoon.
Old 02-12-2010, 21:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
I figure there are two obvious ways to determine "expertness" here - public scrutiny, such as on this forum, or give someone a bunch of money and see if my boat burns down.....

I'm a biologist/datajanitor. If you see any bloody little electrons swept under the rug I want them back.

And thanks for the schematic NewMoon.
Your sounding like you dont really want to pay someone for his expertise so dont but then dont do like many do expect those same people to tell you how to do it
Old 02-12-2010, 22:56   #9

Why do I always seem to attract the trolls?

I don't see a credit card slot on this forum, so no, I don't intend to pay anyone for any advice I might get here. (I will of course continue to contribute to others' questions should I have anything worthy to offer - that's sort of how internet fora work.) If I send you a couple bucks will you help me out, or are you just trying to be a dick?

What I do with any advice I might get here is my problem - I could pay someone to look it over before I implement it, or pay someone to implement it, or use it, or ignore it, or just hook all the red things to the black things because I like sparks. What's any of that have to do with my question?

(And thanks again for those of you who sent me useful information - and especially to Richard for the cool pics of Auke Bay, the first place I ever set foot on a sailboat!)
Old 02-12-2010, 23:53   #10

figure there are two obvious ways to determine "expertness" here - public scrutiny, such as on this forum, or give someone a bunch of money and see if my boat burns down.....
How do you expect anyone to assist you wire up your boat from a forum? Yes they can recommend books etc but you would already be able to get that info, so what are you looking for?
As for trolls the above is just one of your statements so I will let others judge. Again I ask what are you wanting no matter what literature you are supplied with, mistakes can be made reading or understanding wiring diaghrams for the inexperienced? I am a motor mechanic and we do a lot of 12v electrical but I would not be happy to do some of the more complex wiring required on a modern Yacht even for myself. Not to mention a bit of 110vUS (240VAus) wiring thrown in for a quick trip upstairs.
As for payment, that was in reference to getting someone to do the work or wanting them to tell you how to do it nothing to do with anyone on this forum.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:26   #11

There is plenty information on this forum to help you connect the dots, keep looking. A good way of learning.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:47   #12

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
hmmm . to say your project is 'ambitious' is an understatement. it takes most boat owners who consider themselves (rightly or wrongly) capable of working on their own electric systems a lot of time with good electric theory books to get to the point where they can actually do a competent rewire that won't burn down the boat or shock someone. there is a great book by (may be ?don casey) BOAT ELECTRIC SYSTEMS. get a good book, get a decent digital multimeter $20 at an autoparts store. understand why it matters what gauge of wire is correct for a particular application. understand what happens if you accidentally do a dead short. understand why you should not let a screwdriver touch both terminals on your battery. understand why you don't wear rings or bracelets or necklaces when working on your engine or electrics. and why you don't want to have long hair or loose shirt cuffs in the vicinity of a rotating alternator belt. understand why it's important not to wire a new 12v outlet with stereo wire. understand why you can't use household lamp cord for wiring your bilge pump. understand that black DC is NOT the same as black AC. (and to be blunt --Don't even think about doing anything to or near your AC circuits..unless you want to end up dead.)

i assume you have some wiring on your boat already? are you looking to just understand it, or do a complete seaworthy upgrade, component by component? understanding it is one thing. contemplating a complete rewire is a daunting task...
by the way YES i am a degreed engineer, YES i have completely rewired 2 of my own boats. (and none of them burned. ) YES i own a complete library of boat electrical books... and it is nevertheless still a daunting task to tackle a new electrical/ wiring component issue..let alone the entire boat.
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote