Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 13:51   #16
cruiser

Re: Winterizing - must I change my oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't change mine till the spring. While maybe there is some "acid" in the oil, modern oils have additives and I think it is waste of time to it in the Fall instead of the spring.
Ditto... Like he said, I do the same.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:01   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c

I've seen lots of bearings damaged by acid. You will see the copper layer starting to show through the bearing surface. Happens all the time with engines people are saving to rebuild someday or have not used in a while and are left sitting with old oil.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I've seen lots of bearings damaged by acid. You will see the copper layer starting to show through the bearing surface. Happens all the time with engines people are saving to rebuild someday or have not used in a while and are left sitting with old oil.
So you are saying it's obvious from normal wear that has gone that far?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:29   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
So you are saying it's obvious from normal wear that has gone that far?
Without a doubt. It's not a wear pattern but an etching.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:42   #20

Cool, that's interesting to know. I could definitely see that in an old engine sitting with well used oil for a long time.
Lack of use seems to be a bigger problem than lots of use! Ditto for your prop shaft between the packing and the shaft. I've never seen a surveyor mention this if it's obvious the boat has sat for a long time. But I've had two boats that were this way. When the shaft was pulled (because tightening the packing didn't stop the fast dribble.) the SS shaft was eaten away in there.
Whoops... getting bit out of the post intention here!

Old 03-10-2014, 15:03   #21

I sometimes go on extended vacations. I also broke my leg skiing a few years ago and the boat sat for more than 4 months. I didn't change the oil then - couldn't!!!

I agree, KISS, do what YOU think, since the opinions (all helpful and well meaning) are (I haven't calculated it, but...) are 50/50.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:33   #22

Re: Winterizing - Must I Change my Oil?

yeah, no easy answers to this one. Little actual proof and it's dependent on each circumstance.. old ugly oil, left a long time... probably risky. Oil used a minimal time and left only for a few months? I wouldn't worry!

Old 03-10-2014, 15:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
I have religiously changed the motor oil on my boats every year as part of winterizing. Due to injury we had a very curtailed season this year and I put only 18 hours on my diesel engine (Westerbeke 82B4) and 4 hrs on my diesel genset (Westerbeke 8.0 BTD). This is about a third of an average season. In any other case it seems silly to change these oils now, but in the marine case it seems like an insult to the petroleum gods to not do so. It's not about cost or effort - I don't mind either - but it's just a practical mater and to a small degree an environmental one (less oil to be recycled).

I guess I should ask the same question about raw water impellers and fuel filters.

What would you do?

Thanks,

JR
If your oil was close to the change interval, I'd say change it automatically.

If you tend to run your engines too cool.....definately change it. Cold running engines tend to pump soot past the rings excessively. Acidity is a product of soot.

With the limited hours you have on this oil........ fugetta bout it! Your fine.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:46   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

You can't change the oil in a diesel engine too often. You might be ok, but if in doubt -- change it. Why not? How much trouble and expense is it? I would personally never leave my engine over the winter without fresh oil in it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 16:36   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
I have religiously changed the motor oil on my boats every year as part of winterizing. Due to injury we had a very curtailed season this year and I put only 18 hours on my diesel engine (Westerbeke 82B4) and 4 hrs on my diesel genset (Westerbeke 8.0 BTD). This is about a third of an average season. In any other case it seems silly to change these oils now, but in the marine case it seems like an insult to the petroleum gods to not do so. It's not about cost or effort - I don't mind either - but it's just a practical mater and to a small degree an environmental one (less oil to be recycled).

I guess I should ask the same question about raw water impellers and fuel filters.

What would you do?

Thanks,

JR
I had said if it makes your gut feel better change it. I forgot to ask, or you on the hard, hill which ever? If so don't if you can't run without tearing up water pump impellers don't. without running there is no point
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:33   #26

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
yeah, no easy answers to this one. Little actual proof and it's dependent on each circumstance.. old ugly oil, left a long time... probably risky. Oil used a minimal time and left only for a few months? I wouldn't worry!
There is an easy answer: Follow the manufacturer's instructions. Mine recommend every 100 hours or every year whichever comes first. If the oil was changed last fall it's time to change it again.

As for changing the oil at the end of the season or the beginning of the next season, changing it at the end of the season and not leaving old oil in the engine for long periods makes sense to me and that's what I've seen recommended by most experts.
Old 05-10-2014, 00:48   #27

I wouldnt bother either. Funniest thing I saw was in Bali, after changing the oil in my boat after 100 hours, all the Indonesian's came round and asked for the old oil. What could you possibly want with that I thought?? they poured it straight into their fishing boats.. engines that basically never die...
I used to run a fishing lodge in Northern Ontario, each spring we would change the oil/filters in over 25x 25HP electric start Yamaha's, even if they had only seen 3-5 hours the previous year... what a waste...
Coxswain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil