Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 10:22   #1

Boat: CHEOY LEE, GW42, 42', BELLISSIMA
Winterizing in North Carolina

I am planning on keeping the sailboat in the water over the winter. The air temperature rarely drops below freezing for an extended amount of time. It is possible that the slip I will be using will not have power - - so space heaters cannot be used. The boat will be left at the slip for several weeks - unattended. What are the precautions I should take to prevent freeze up? Engine jacket has anti-freeze. thanks bb
bill brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 10:49   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have left my boat in Oriental and didn't do anything re winterizing. Maybe I was lucky but I don't think you'll get a hard enough freeze to damage anything. Checked the record lows in January, down a bit below O* F.! Usually above freezing though. If you're really worried, empty water tanks, flush and put potable antifreeze in system. You should empty the hot water tank, join the two lines (in and out) and put the potable antifreeze through. This way you use a lot less antifreeze and the hot water tank is empty. Winterize engine by putting antifreeze through raw water side. Empty holding tank. Remove all liquids that will freeze and possibly rupture e.g cans of soda etc..
Old 25-10-2010, 10:57   #3

Excellent - - I feel better about this. bb
Old 25-10-2010, 11:52   #4

Boat: Maxi 77
If its even near likely, that the temp will drop as much as the water will freeze around your boat you should drain the raw watersystem completely. For the steps and measures you should take, I agree with #2, however with a few things added:
Preferrably, if possible, close the inlet raw valve, loosen the hose and use a bucket with antifreeze mixture and let it wash the system. Also does the the greater good of not having salty water standing still inside the system over winter. Before re-attaching the hose to the raw valve pour some antifreeze in there as well and leave it closed. Same with the other thru hull valves: Some antifreeze in there. (i.e. the sink and -if you cover the cockpit- the self drains)
Holding tanks, freshwater tanks etc is a good thing to drain however I don´t really think you need any antifreeze in those. One thing ppl tend to forget is the transducer for the depthfinder. If you use a "shoot-thru-hull" ducer, then make sure that the "cup" that houses the transducer has antifreeze in it as it´s prone to break the transducer otherwise. You can also pour a bit of vegetable oil into the toilet bowl to keep the rubbergaskets in fresh.
After taht you can pretty much relax.
I had a hard time relaxing in the beginning of last winter myself even though I live on the boat. Every little trip I made had me worrying the first few weeks... But then again, we had 50-60 cms of ice and I had a fresh memory of another boat. Left unattended with no winterization done at all.. She went down due to an open valve that cracked.
Old 25-10-2010, 14:14   #5

Thanks to both of you. Excellent feedback......I am pretty relaxed now. best regards, bb
Old 25-10-2010, 14:20   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Remember when the air temperature goes down to freezing in NC the water that your boat's sitting in will be much warmer.

Tags
north carolina