Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2010, 13:17   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Windvane Transom Reinforcement ?

Hi all;

I have an old Sailomat windvane, a 3040, that uses an auxiliary rudder in the water in addition to the oar. It does not connect at all to the boats rudder. It is not mounted on the boat currently.

The manual says that reinforcing the transom may be needed. Ours has a transverse foam filled reinforcement roughly halfway up the transom, from one end to the other. It is about 6 inches in height, and 1 inch in depth, of fiberglass. The transom fiberglass is about .25 inches, maybe more - I need to measure it.

The vane will mount with either two or four mounting points, depending on how the mount is designed. So, am hoping that the current reinforcement will be enough. Perhaps mounted above the existing reinforcement, but with an large aluminum backing plate for the mounting points. It may be possible to mount one going directly thorough the existing reinforcement, after of course I have replaced the foam with epoxy.

Will this be enough? The unit weights about 60 lbs, and the mounts might be another 10 lbs? This is on our Westerly Fulmar, with a displacement of 10-12k lbs.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 13:24   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'd reinforce it with some 1/4" SS backing plates. What happens if you back into the dock, by accident of course.
Old 26-02-2010, 13:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

I was going to use Aluminum, 5052, as the backing plates, as I have some, and it is easily workable. Any reason to use SS instead?

Chris
Old 26-02-2010, 22:45   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I was going to use Aluminum, 5052, as the backing plates, as I have some, and it is easily workable. Any reason to use SS instead?

Chris
1/4" 5052. That would probably work! I'm just a SS kinda guy.
Old 27-02-2010, 08:04   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
I think you will need further reinforcement - think about the weight and the steering forces applied not directly but at the end of an arm - there will be a lot of load!!! And the load will be cyclic too. So if to err, then definitely on the overbuilt side.

We had a similar system and with 4 anchor points about 1'' backing approx 4'' each side of where the bolts were on the transom and further two anchor points on the rail.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 12:07   #6

Boat: Sweden Yachts 34
Interested in your project

I have just acquired a Sailomat 3040 and plan to hang it off the back of my 34-footer. The transom of the boat it came off did not appear to have a great deal of extra reinforcement. However I am thinking along your lines and plan to make up some 3/8" 5052 backing plates. Too strong has never been a fault when it comes to boats. I'd be interested to know how your project progresses.
timberboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 13:29   #7

Sailomat 3040

I put a Sailomat 3040 on my Moody 419 and then sailed her from Moody's yard on the Hamble for 3,000 miles to windward to the Chesapeake and up to Annapolis. The next year we sailed her via the Azores back to the Hamble (this by the way, was a lot more fun than bashing our way to windward). We had Moody's fabricate some backing plates and never had a problem in either direction. My only regret is that I can't buy one for our next boat. You'll love the the unit. John
jfconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 14:17   #8
Marine Service Provider

I am very excited about getting this thing mounted and operational. It is going to be a PITA to get it on the boat. Damn but it is heavy, maybe not more than a monitor, mounting included, but the weight is very dense. I have worked out what I want to do, which is two angle brackets, that are turned outward, to spread the load. I just have to get the exact angle, as it will be a bit more than 90 degrees, and then have them made up. The beauty of this is that I won't have to have the mounting holes for the unit pre defined, ie they will give me some fudge room once I ahve them on the boat and lining everything up. I'll post photos once I get that far.

Chris
Old 18-03-2010, 11:41   #9

Boat: Currently boatless
From our friends aboard IO, a reminder of the forces a windvane can take from a wave coming a weird direction. Yikes!
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windvane