Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 17:27   #31

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Windvane steering on a cluttered stern

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
not sure where yours mounts, but this mounts to the tiller,
alpha 3000 most reliable autopilot ever made. more so then a wind vane.

Ah, right, gotcha. Yes, they seem to have a great reputation too, and if my coursemaster ever goes toes up, the Alpha would one to consider.

However, at the moment I am looking for a windvane to SUPPLEMENT my coursemaster, i.e. in the event of an electrical failure. I sincerely hope I am not looking for a replacement for the coursemaster for some time.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 17:28   #32

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:

An electric autopilot more reliable than a windvane?! Please O please qualify this!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 17:46   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Ya know...I'll probably get scolded for this from the mods...but hey...I've seen you posting all kinds of far fetched statements here. 1) You're relatively new to boat maintenance and boat systems. You really don't know what you're talking about. Or is it to somehow have a lot of posts to your credit? I honestly don't know. If I can make a recommendation...LISTEN. We all started somewhere. If you have not had direct experience with something...keep your opinions to yourself, so the OP can get an idea what really may or may not work for him. I'm sorry but I just needed to say this.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 17:55   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Aw come on Scoob, that's just nonsense. You should stick to things you really know about, like how to reef the sails on your ketch.

Jim
Old 30-06-2013, 18:21   #35
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Ya know...I'll probably get scolded for this from the mods...but hey...I've seen you posting all kinds of far fetched statements here. 1) You're relatively new to boat maintenance and boat systems. You really don't know what you're talking about. Or is it to somehow have a lot of posts to your credit? I honestly don't know. If I can make a recommendation...LISTEN. We all started somewhere. If you have not had direct experience with something...keep your opinions to yourself, so the OP can get an idea what really may or may not work for him. I'm sorry but I just needed to say this.
i am well researched on autopilots. been researching them for 4 years now.
i read about windvanes falling apart all the time. many are cobbed back together, but i still count that as a failure. look at the guys who headed to HI, just to turn back as one example. they came out to find it had stopped working, a part vanished off the unit.

i am well read on a lot of things, and will post what i have read. if you don't like it, any of you, there is an ignore function.

the reason i have been posting a lot is because weather has been crap, and i can't do work, on the deck, when its raining. i worked 7 hours today, made no posts, until the rain came. so i will post what i know.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 18:21   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Aw come on Scoob, that's just nonsense. You should stick to things you really know about, like how to reef the sails on your ketch.

Jim
when i start giving advice on how to sail, feel free to step in and stop me.
until then, bugger off.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:24   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ah, right, gotcha. Yes, they seem to have a great reputation too, and if my coursemaster ever goes toes up, the Alpha would one to consider.

However, at the moment I am looking for a windvane to SUPPLEMENT my coursemaster, i.e. in the event of an electrical failure. I sincerely hope I am not looking for a replacement for the coursemaster for some time.
i looked at the coursemaster, very nice unit, looks pricey. fully integrated.
i wonder, does it still function if it loses comms with another part or the system of does it just display an error message?
Old 30-06-2013, 18:47   #38

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

The boat I sailed as a youth,a Tom Colvin Gazelle had a homemade trim tab rudder self steering on transom,with dinghy on davits as well.Worked like a charm to Mexico and Hawaii and back,even in light winds;I'm sure the full keel helped.The vane had no restriction of swing with dinghy on davits,although on an ocean crossing we always put dink on deck.The frame and ruddershaft were tight up against transom.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 18:50   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
The boat I sailed as a youth,a Tom Colvin Gazelle had a homemade trim tab rudder self steering on transom,with dinghy on davits as well.Worked like a charm to Mexico and Hawaii and back,even in light winds;I'm sure the full keel helped.The vane had no restriction of swing with dinghy on davits,although on an ocean crossing we always put dink on deck.The frame and ruddershaft were tight up against transom.

Ahh... now that is pushing some of my buttons! But if I start talking home-made near the Admiral, I will be in so much trouble.... so shh...
Old 30-06-2013, 18:55   #40

Quote:
i looked at the coursemaster, very nice unit, looks pricey. fully integrated.
i wonder, does it still function if it loses comms with another part or the system of does it just display an error message?
Mine is a LOT older than those, maybe 20 years or more. It is effectively free standing though it can interface with any NMEA string device. (I think I have that acronymn right.) so it could talk to the plotter if I wanted to, but I am like someone else who posted on here. He liked to work out his course, then feed that into the autopilote himself. KISS principle.

The device seems very reliable and the construction is just MASSIVELY overbuilt. The drive chain would look good on a bulldozer, even the control box is STEEL. You know, that stuff they used to use before they discovered aluminium....

But, as a result, I suspect it uses a bit more power than a modern unit would.

So I trust it, I just want options. More and more options.

I think I might be what was once referred to as a "Belts and braces" kind of guy. And that's why the Swanson 42 appealed to me so much. And, strangely, to the admiral too.

M
Old 30-06-2013, 18:59   #41
cruiser

some people carry a spare drive motor for the alpha, just in case. i am assuming you could do the same. surely you have more then one electrical system on the yacht? we have three. engine, house, and generator. when doing my trip home after buying it i needed to link all 3 before i got home :P
Old 30-06-2013, 19:39   #42

Scoobert, If you had to link all three sources of electricity to get home, then that just proves the less than reliable electrical sources in a salt water environment. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 20:06   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Scoobert, If you had to link all three sources of electricity to get home, then that just proves the less than reliable electrical sources in a salt water environment. _____Grant.
it only proves if you dont maintain a boat for 5 years, everything brakes when you do a 5 day voyage. most of it is an easy fix. 1 bad house battery, 1 generator battery that is not charging, took everything down. it shall not leave port again without an overhaul.
Old 30-06-2013, 20:21   #44

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
i am well researched on autopilots. been researching them for 4 years now.
i read about windvanes falling apart all the time. many are cobbed back together, but i still count that as a failure. look at the guys who headed to HI, just to turn back as one example. they came out to find it had stopped working, a part vanished off the unit.

i am well read on a lot of things, and will post what i have read. if you don't like it, any of you, there is an ignore function.

the reason i have been posting a lot is because weather has been crap, and i can't do work, on the deck, when its raining. i worked 7 hours today, made no posts, until the rain came. so i will post what i know.
Sir...What you have been doing is reading about them. You havn't used pilots or vanes...maintained them...taken them apart and reverse Engineering them. That's research. Or the as the members here on CF, who have miles and miles under their keel with both autopilot and windvanes. Who know when to chose one over the other depending on sea and wind conditions.
My Ingrid 38 had an 8 foot tiller on a barn door rudder. We were in 30+ kt. winds and 15+ft. seas with the monitor windvane in charge. The vessel with only a diaper of a jib rolled out was charging along at 7-8 kts. For "fun" I was curious how much pressure was on the tiller and disconnected the coupling from the monitor to tiller. I can tell you that the pressure almost launched my ass over the rail. I had a great appreciation for the strength of the monitor. I will also tell you the unit was pre Scanmar. Meaning it was about 25 years old and performed flawlessly. No way in hell sir would any autopilot deal with that particular circumstance.
Your post reminds me of my friend who is 480 pounds. He has bought read and studied book after book about weight loss. Yet he refuses to change his habits, but pontificates about all the information he has.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 20:52   #45

Boat: Fantasia 35

Matt,

Since you intend to do mostly shorter coast wise passages another option you might consider is to self steer using your sails and emergency tiller. When you go on trips try rigging the emergency tiller and practice using bungee cords and lines to connect the jib clew to the tiller to self steer. You may find a combination that works for your boat. It is cheap and gives you something to experiment with while sailing. Thus, if you can perfect this method of self steering, you should at least be able to get to port without having to spend time hove-to resting.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, windvane