Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2011, 01:29   #1

Boat: Compass 28
Window Seals

I'm replacing the window glass (well, plexiglass, polycarb whatever) and reinstalling the aluminium (that's aloominum to you guys) frames.

Now the dumb question: is there any reason why I can't cut gaskets from neoprene and use them under the frames instead of sealant? And if I have to use sealant would butyl tape be a good idea? I've used neoprene under the lifeline stanchions and they seem to be pretty good so far.

lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 05:13   #2

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
Re: Window Seals

I replaced mine using the aluminium frames and wish I just did what a lot of modern boats do and sikaflex the poly carb (or whatever) to the sides of the cabin - doing away with the frames altogether. Simpler, cleaner and neater and less chance of leaks. I didn't use neoprene - interesting idea but not simple. You'd have to seal the window into the frame then the frame to the boat?? Good luck. :-)
Old 14-08-2011, 05:58   #3

Boat: O'Day 28

You have some "fun" reading ahead. I'm fairly sure the neoprene idea has been discussed on CF and the butyl tape procedure is on Maine Sail's site. Other goos have all been tried and discussed. One guy a couple of years ago was going to use aircraft windshield sealant. My boat doesn't go anywhere fast enough to need that.

Neoprene under the stanchions? I don't think that's a long term solution. Go immediately to Maine's discussion of butyl tape compared to Don Casey's Goo Method. Sorry Don, I know you are the Pro From Dover, but I'm going with the butyl this time after more than one failure with tube goo. Opening ports just arrived. Maybe this doesn't matter any longer now that all boats except mine have A/C.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 06:35   #4

Boat: Venture 21'
I'm in the building industry...and I have an extra case of sonolastic NP 1...we swear by the stuff for sealing metal roofs, metal buildings and around brick chimneys. I know that none of these applications involves fiberglass... but ...

To my left is a case of NP1

...to my right is a stack of cabin windows and a project boat...hmmmmm...

Any thoughts?
sanjuanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 06:45   #5

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanman View Post
I'm in the building industry...and I have an extra case of sonolastic NP 1...we swear by the stuff for sealing metal roofs, metal buildings and around brick chimneys. I know that none of these applications involves fiberglass... but ...

To my left is a case of NP1

...to my right is a stack of cabin windows and a project boat...hmmmmm...

Any thoughts?
Do it - take lots of photos and explain in detail the process as you go!
Old 14-08-2011, 06:55   #6

Boat: Columbia 41

I replaced my 1978 vintage plexi cabin windows with tinted 3/8" lexan. I measured to original windows and created a CADD drawing. The CADD drawing was emailed to a lexan supplier and also to a stainless steel fabricator for new 1/8" x 1 1/2" trim rings. In a few weeks both were delivered and both were cut to exact size. The windows and trim rings were with through bolted over a bead of Dow 5200. No leaks. In the photo attached the new windows are on the left, on the right are the original forward windows before replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0386.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	30474  
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:24   #7

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

The side windows in our pilothouse had been resealed (by PO) with either 4200 or 5200 and it didn't adhere to the polycarbonate - at all. Stuck like blazes to the fiberglass though, even pulled some gelcoat off, when I had to remove them. I researched what to use to do the the job and Dow Corning 795 is widely regarded as the best. No leaks thru a long, wet, PNW winter.

http://www2.dowcorning.com/DataFiles...c8802a267c.pdf
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:29   #8

Boat: Venture 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello
Do it - take lots of photos and explain in detail the process as you go!
I think I will! Im planning on using Maine Sails butyl tape method- modified to accomodate a gun grade sealant.

I used this stuff on a building located on an "off-load" dock in Dutch Harbor 3 years ago with no problems... should work on a cheesy little lake boat in the pacific Northwest!

I believe the specs stated 500% seal retaining elasticity... seems like a good fit on a aluminum to fiberglass joint...
sanjuanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 09:20   #9

Boat: Cooper 416

I did mine with Butyl foam tape 1/8 inch on the glass.Only thing that sticks. Bed the frames with marine putty bedding.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals