Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2009, 04:47   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Window Leaks

I have windows that are about 10" wide x 30" long on the cabin top, which of course are leaking. I thought they would be lexan, but after reading some other threads they might be arcylic. Either way they are not screwed down or anything and seem to be set onto a black stickly goo that is soft and the last owners have applied a bunch of silicone around them.

So the question is what is the best way to seal these up? I read the older threads but they seemed to start a battle and I thought I would just try a new one. It seems to me that the best would be to remove and apply a tape/rolled type of seal and drill and bolt/screw them down instead of just glueing to cabin top, but I'm open to suggestions. Is there a tip on cleaning the old stuff off (have to do regardless of how you are going to do the new seal)?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 04:59   #2

Most often recommended seems to be butyl tape. Our acrylic windows are set in that, but someone sometime also drilled them and installed screws. The screws just vibrate themselves loose constantly and strip the holes and create a new way for water to get into the core, so they're being removed and holes drilled and plugged with epoxy. Bolts with lock washers would probably be more secure.

Removing the old sealant is just tough work with a scraper and solvents to clean it down to bare material. I am told butyl tape is all that holds your windshield in your car. It seems to be magic stuff.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks