Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Windex Relevant Today?
Nope, never look at it -- it's useless now that we have reliable electronic wind instruments. I would (or already have) take mine down if I could be bothered going up the mast. 7 11.11%
I look at it once in a while. Probably wouldn't miss it much if it were eaten by a starving seagull. 9 14.29%
Windex is a good thing to have. I look at it often. 27 42.86%
Windex is as fundamental as a compass. Don't leave home without it. 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2013, 12:39   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Windex Questions -- And Poll!

I find it easier to compute jibe angles using the windex than using the compass or any electronic wind device. The nice thing is that on an aft-cockpit boat, the windex is squarely within the helm's gaze as he watches to see when the main is sailing by the lee during a jibe.

I'd probably be less inclined to rely upon a windex in a center cockpit boat, since the wheel is so freaking close to the mast. (One more good reason in favor of aft cockpits!) Allow me to point out, however, that on a center cockpit boat, such as the HMS Dockhead, it would be all the more important to mount the compass to the rear of the mast, rather than at its side. This will be true especially of the helm is steered from the coaming--racer style--rather than from directly behind the wheel--beginner style.
Old 25-04-2013, 12:59   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Somewhat useful when racing. Yarn on shroud works just as well for much less $$. Much easier to install and maintain too. Current boat came with a Windex EL. A red-tailed hawk ate it a couple of years ago and we didn't replace it . . . don't miss it at all. Oh. and we don't have any electronic wind gizmos either. It's nice to see apparent wind angle indicated on something, but it's not critical.
Old 25-04-2013, 13:16   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I find it easier to compute jibe angles using the windex than using the compass or any electronic wind device. The nice thing is that on an aft-cockpit boat, the windex is squarely within the helm's gaze as he watches to see when the main is sailing by the lee during a jibe.

I'd probably be less inclined to rely upon a windex in a center cockpit boat, since the wheel is so freaking close to the mast. (One more good reason in favor of aft cockpits!) Allow me to point out, however, that on a center cockpit boat, such as the HMS Dockhead, it would be all the more important to mount the compass to the rear of the mast, rather than at its side. This will be true especially of the helm is steered from the coaming--racer style--rather than from directly behind the wheel--beginner style.
Steering from the coaming -- with a 16 foot beam, and a single wheel, this is hardly an option . . . If you can even SEE the coaming from the helm, you're ahead of the game (it means you're very tall). So I'm not sure that's an argument against anything in this case.

Funnily enough, I watched the windex more than anything, from the nav table, from where I have a clear view from a slightly slanted doghouse window. Now I have a Triton display at the nav table, so maybe won't feel the need so much.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 13:16   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
No wind instrument?

Don, you will thank me for this advice -- go, right now, onto the Defender web site, and order a wind instrument of your choice. Something wireless like Tacktick might be good in your case because of the very simple installation. Trust me -- you will like it. Very much.

My last boat had wind instrucments. But for the last 2 years I have done without them and just used the the windex, yarn on the stays, the height of the wave caps, the amount of rudder angle, and degrees of boat heel to make the same decisions I used to use the wind instrucments for.

So far I have found the "loss" of the electronic instrucments to not be a problem. The only thing I don't get to do not is come back to the marina and go "wow the wind was blowing at X knots"!

I have thought about getting a wind instrucment and even started a thread about the windless wonders a couple of years ago (mostly the first year without one), but always have had things I felt were a better use on my cash (beer).
Old 25-04-2013, 13:18   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
This will be true especially of the helm is steered from the coaming--racer style--rather than from directly behind the wheel--beginner style.
that hurt my feelings ................. almost
Old 25-04-2013, 13:31   #21

Boat: Creekmore 34

i like a masthead Windex,
but for years i used a piece of cassette tape (approx 15" long) tied/taped to the backstay as high as i could reach and really it works just as good.
It will disintegrate after a few months, but and old cassette or two will last for decades.
Eagles Hotel California worked best for me
cheers
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 13:35   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A 'Windex' indicates apparent wind direction, as do threads on stays, and ears & cheeks on head.

Yeah, and I have ears and cheeks (and threads on stays) already.

I think it's one of those "If you have it, you like it" things.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 13:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Yeah, and I have ears and cheeks (and threads on stays) already.

I think it's one of those "If you have it, you like it" things.
Or, the reverse: If you like it, you have it.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 14:06   #24

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

When we were anchored in the San Juan Islands a Bald Eagle decided our mast made the perfect resting place. Broke the angle thingies on the Windex. Years later, still no problems noted when sailing due to lack of those bars.

BUT.... We once had a little sparrow-type bird land on the indicator arrow. Its weight towards the pointy end offset the feathered end just a bit - so round and round and round he went. That's what passes for entertainment in Blind Bay, Shaw Island.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 14:11   #25
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
When we were anchored in the San Juan Islands a Bald Eagle decided our mast made the perfect resting place. Broke the angle thingies on the Windex. Years later, still no problems noted when sailing due to lack of those bars.

BUT.... We once had a little sparrow-type bird land on the indicator arrow. Its weight towards the pointy end offset the feathered end just a bit - so round and round and round he went. That's what passes for entertainment in Blind Bay, Shaw Island.

Especially for the sparrow!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 15:24   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Our somewhat antique wind instrument was not working for some long months due to a wire that parted inside the cable. I really missed it, and wished that I had a Windex as a backup. Shroud and backstay tell-tales helped a bit, but they are so influenced by the wash of the sails that I didn't find them very useful. Something at the masthead, while not immune to effects of the sails, is far better.

The place where I really missed the info was not going to windward where there are lots of clues available, but when sailing very deep angles. I have a hard time telling the difference between ten degrees by the lee and ten degrees up from DDW when relying on feel. And for those of us who don't have a windvane, being able to set the autopilot to steering by the apparent wind angle is useful at times.

So Dockhead, with your redundant electronic systems I'd feel ok about leaving off the Windex... but then I've not had one for thirty years or so!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 25-04-2013, 16:19   #27

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post

Man... I miss the San Juan Islands!
Old 25-04-2013, 16:24   #28

Boat: Haida 26

All hell, put it on the side, either way it's there to stare at.. If you don't, you'll wish you had it up there, if it's up there you can look at it when you want.. Life at sea doesn't stop w/o one, but I prefer to have one to stare at, as well as shrould yarns.. While lying back in the cockpit sipping Rum & Coke your looking up anyway.... Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 04:45   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I can't believe I did this, but I actually allowed myself to be swayed by the results of the the poll.

So I've ordered an alu plate with a welded-on rib for stiffening, which will stick out past the end of the masthead truck. I'll mount the Windex on the end of it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 04:56   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I'm enough of a traditionalist to wear a burgee on a pigstick above the windex. Makes it easy to spot your boat in the anchorage, plus it keeps the poxy birds from pooping on your boat, not to mention breaking the windex.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll