Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Windex Relevant Today?
Nope, never look at it -- it's useless now that we have reliable electronic wind instruments. I would (or already have) take mine down if I could be bothered going up the mast. 7 11.11%
I look at it once in a while. Probably wouldn't miss it much if it were eaten by a starving seagull. 9 14.29%
Windex is a good thing to have. I look at it often. 27 42.86%
Windex is as fundamental as a compass. Don't leave home without it. 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 22:44   #46

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
Re: Windex Questions -- And Poll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
Well, I apparently don't get your humour. To me, it reads as being bitter and a yearning for the "goold old days".

But, anyway, that's not important. Carry on.
I think the smiley face at the end was a clue.

Bitter, now I do miss a good pint. Back in the good old days when Best Bitter in Manchester was 40cents. Only trouble was did'nt have 40 cents! Now look for the clue to humour :-) get it! have a nice one yourself.
Old 28-04-2013, 22:51   #47

Up here in Man's country we have budgie problems. Bleeding great big black ones with white heads and yellow beaks. What ever you stick on your mast head get's sat on! Bent broken and not replaced. So Windex is a safer bet than a scare meter! At least the windex can be bent back into shape.
Old 28-04-2013, 23:15   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Up here in Man's country we have budgie problems. Bleeding great big black ones with white heads and yellow beaks. What ever you stick on your mast head get's sat on! Bent broken and not replaced. So Windex is a safer bet than a scare meter! At least the windex can be bent back into shape.
I would love to see them try an ultrasonic Maretron wind sensor. They might invent a new dance

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 23:19   #49

They fight back boy! When Fish Eagles dump! they dump and it stinks! Ultrasonic MAretron if that has electrical current Iam in! :-)

Looks wonderful, but I bet not inexpensive? Mind you for a bit of bent wire Windex are not cheap.
Old 29-04-2013, 00:59   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Make sure you can light it at night !

Dave
Ekh, I thought about that, but no way I'm pulling yet another cable up my 22 meter mast. I have pulled 11 cables so far! Two of them fat, stiff RG213U, and two more duct-grade Cat 5.

It will be illuminated pretty well by the white sector of my tricolor, I think.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 03:21   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Lol what nonsense , look at The challenge yachts SRC , Steer from the coaming me arse-nal!!

Dave
You're kidding, right? Plenty of racers steer from the coaming. Look at the giant wheels on some of those boats -- one reason is for mechanical advantage, but the other is to the helmsperson can get to one side in order to watch the sails and wind. Many other race-boats (the ones with the wide sterns) have two wheels. They do this so the person at the helm can sit outboard.

If you're just being sarcastic, well never mind...

Windex? Mines on the masthead and I use it a lot, especially when sailing with the spinnaker. Some of my crew watch it constantly, and I should glance up there more often but my neck gets stiff. My B&G wind instrument are fairly good, and I get pretty tuned in to the feel of the wind and motion of the boat, so I do OK, but I do regularly take a peek at the windex to re-calibrate my gut-feel.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 04:13   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Windex is as fundamental as a compass. Don't leave home without it.

Absolutely true statement for me.... There have been occasions where I have needed the less experienced on the helm keeping the boat into the wind... Playing the wind instruments for them can be like watching a new sailor try and keep a course by the famous "compass trance"....

"Keep that arrow pointed at the bow" works every time....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 04:15   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
thanks for saying you are no expert, we would never had guess
+1........

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 06:58   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

DH, sounds like you're running out of time. Bin it and sail for season without it, then decide. You have the ST60s to judge the wind by.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 09:01   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I find it easier to compute jibe angles using the windex than using the compass or any electronic wind device. The nice thing is that on an aft-cockpit boat, the windex is squarely within the helm's gaze as he watches to see when the main is sailing by the lee during a jibe.

I'd probably be less inclined to rely upon a windex in a center cockpit boat, since the wheel is so freaking close to the mast. (One more good reason in favor of aft cockpits!) Allow me to point out, however, that on a center cockpit boat, such as the HMS Dockhead, it would be all the more important to mount the compass to the rear of the mast, rather than at its side. This will be true especially of the helm is steered from the coaming--racer style--rather than from directly behind the wheel--beginner style.
No, Beginner style would be not letting the autopilot steer. Steering from the coaming would be "hey, I want to look like those guys in the magazines style"!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 09:05   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
DH, sounds like you're running out of time. Bin it and sail for season without it, then decide. You have the ST60s to judge the wind by.

Pete
Already sorted.

The wizards at Seatek made me a lovely mast truck extension out of stainless, with a stiffening ridge welded in. I drilled holes for mounting it on the drill press that other sailors often tease me for keeping on board, and bolted it on this morning.

The windex is already fitted and looks great! It's about twice the size of the old one (it's a Swedish Windex XL), and now stands well aft of the mast truck, so should be more visible!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 10:56   #57
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I can't believe I did this, but I actually allowed myself to be swayed by the results of the the poll.

So I've ordered an alu plate with a welded-on rib for stiffening, which will stick out past the end of the masthead truck. I'll mount the Windex on the end of it.
Thank god Camaron.

I cant believe you were even considering not having a masthead windex!!!

It is so instinctual to me to check my wind perception by glancing up at the windex that I was on a RIB this last weekend as we were towing our 1/4 tonner out to the course with our Sail Maker looking at the new sails that twice I glanced up instinctively to check the non existent windex for the RIB we were on. Our sail maker caught me doing it the second time and called me on it and started laughing - claimed he couldnt shake the habit as well and even caught himself doing it on land sometimes...

It is an important effective tool for those that wish the information it provides, it cant be entirely duplicated utilizing electronic methods. There is so much that the simple device tells you in a mili-second glance.

We too had space issues and had a piece of aluminimum rod stock bent in an S curve with reinforcing gussets that took the windex aft of the mast at the head.

It is important to keep it inline as if it is off center the upwash from the tip vortex off the jib and main give you a less accurate reading on opposite tacks.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll