Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-10-2009, 18:15   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
For handles left on deck there is usually a deck box with a propper latch. Knock up a nice wooden one with a dab of varnish and epoxy it to the deck.

For us we have simple rules: never leave a winch handle in a winch. Wind and put it away.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 18:49   #17

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Of course these work well and are what I had on my last boat

Ronstan 10'' Floating Red Locking Winch Handle

Old 30-10-2009, 19:30   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 36 Motorsailer & Albin 25 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
For handles left on deck there is usually a deck box with a propper latch. Knock up a nice wooden one with a dab of varnish and epoxy it to the deck.

For us we have simple rules: never leave a winch handle in a winch. Wind and put it away.
Yeah, my problem is not with handles that are not in use (stored in a box), or handles that are in a winch/boom (in use). My problem is with handles that are between box and use, that are in someones hand when they suddenly need that hand for self preservation or are just fumble fingered.

I liked the idea about teaching the crew "I'll buy that", but that doesn't answer the question of "how do I, now, get home?" with some of my tools on the bottom of the sea.

I would rather insure that they stay on board where I need them (crew AND handles). The boom handle is critical as it is used on the foredeck and allows reefing in bad weather, exactly when the foredeck is slippery and dangerous to human life. I would rather loose a handle than a crew so if he/she has a choice, I say, "drop the handle to grab the rail." BUT...with heavy weather it then becomes a task to get a reef in the main.

Soooo, I would like to retain the handle AND the crewman. Both are needed and that handle will be between the box where it is stored and the boom where it is used , all the way from the cockpit to the boom (even on a mast storage box there is plenty of time to loose it overboard while fiddling with getting it into the boom in a gale) on a pitching deck being flooded with salt water every few seconds and slapped with 30 to 40 knot winds while the crewman is clothed in baggy foul weather gear making precise movement difficult. Its not as simple as just a good storage place.

And while the floating handles are nice, I would never try to retrieve one at sea. There is to much danger in turning around and trying to find the handle in a turbulent sea while you probably ran200 yards at least before turning. I really doubt that you could find it. Finding a crew member after a MOB is very difficult at sea in even the best of situations. But in a main reefing situation it would be hell on wheels to find even a RED handle. I would bet money that you couldn't find it. The jibe involved in a 360 to go look for it would be foolhardy in a main reefing blow.
Old 31-10-2009, 11:52   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 36 Motorsailer & Albin 25 Trawler
Heres my solution.

Picasa Web Albums - Jim - Isabella

I slightly relieved the wood handle so the strap sits INTO the wood a little. Then I glued it in place with Gorilla Glue and added 5 brass tacks on each side for good measure. It is very comfortable and fits well enough that dropping the handle is very unlikely.

I will also carry a spare so if I loose the handle with a crew member attached I can reef the main to go back for him/her...
Old 31-10-2009, 12:03   #20

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Backup plan

Well, I don't know about yours, but my roller boom uses a hex socket (allen head). In my case, a lost handle could be replaced- it's simply a matter of keeping the correct allen wrench aboard, along with a short pipe "wrench extender".

Just looked at the photo, completely different setup- doh!
Old 31-10-2009, 18:10   #21

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
But how about one spare one that can be used to beat the crew member that dropped the first one.

Thanks for all the posts.
With an attitude like that, you might hurt your self one day .

Cheers,
Extemp.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: