Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-03-2013, 16:05   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Will Hunter keel fall off ?

Am no naval architect! - but I would be less concerned about the strength of the keel bolts (or the keel) and more about the boat itself (any boat - not just a Hunter!)......where the increased side load may cause the hull to compress at the join and elsewhere to simply (lol!) move / flex as it is subject to forces not designed for.

I appreciate that I may be a bit of a luddite when it comes to hull flex - but until the brochures start highlighting that it's an intended feature (and also a wonderful safety item?!) then I remain more of the view that whilst it is something that happens to all boats to some degree that it is not something to be encouraged! (or designed in!).

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 16:18   #17

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Am no naval architect! - but I would be less concerned about the strength of the keel bolts (or the keel) and more about the boat itself (any boat - not just a Hunter!)......where the increased side load may cause the hull to compress at the join and elsewhere to simply (lol!) moves / flexes as it is subject to forces not designed for.

I appreciate that I may be a bit of a luddite when it comes to hull flex - but until the brochures start highlighting that it's an intended feature (and also a wonderful safety item?!) then I remain more of the view that whilst it is something that happens to all boats to some degree that it is not something to be encouraged! (or designed in!).
Wouldn't you think the force of the water against the keel while the boat is rolling, would cause more flexing of the hull? I.e. the additional weight would stiffen the boat and the boat would roll less, thus the side force would be reduced. My thought, but then I haven't been drinking..

Me thinks I'll have to pull out (and dust) off my old Naval Arch books, but I'd rather have someone who has a clue look at it and give it a go.

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 16:22   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

It would be useful to know the original ballast amount. While 400 lbs sounds like a lot, if the original keel had 4000 lbs (not unreasonable in a 34 foot boat) then it is only a 10 % increment, and I doubt if any severe structural issues would arise. However, Hunters are not known for sturdy rigs, and the additional stiffness might well accelerate deterioration in the standing rigging and/or chain plates.

But I agree that considering all the negative comments from the peanut gallery, resale issues could cloud your future. I'll add my vote to selecting a stiffer boat to start with if stiffness is an important issue for you.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-03-2013, 19:10   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
I owned a 1987 Hunter 34 for six years. My best advice: don't buy it.
Old 22-03-2013, 01:19   #20

Boat: Dufour 2800

The displacement is 12 000 lb and the ballast is 5000 lb. So adding 400 lb is an increase of 8% of ballast. Probably not significant enough to be a safety isuue, but there is doubt in most of the responses received, so the resale will be the biggest concern.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Craig
Old 22-03-2013, 05:50   #21
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Cape Town View Post
The displacement is 12 000 lb and the ballast is 5000 lb. So adding 400 lb is an increase of 8% of ballast. Probably not significant enough to be a safety isuue, but there is doubt in most of the responses received, so the resale will be the biggest concern.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Craig
No. Grounding and putting wings in the seabed preventing getting off is the biggest concern, directly followed by the forces on the keel during all that. There might not be much left to sell ...
Old 22-03-2013, 05:57   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

IMHO, anyone who worries about resale, before they even buy a boat, should probably not buy a boat.
Old 22-03-2013, 07:33   #23

I humbly disagree. I think its quite wise to consider resale value. Sail boats are tough to sell and some of them are really tough to sell. At least if you buy a boat in good shape that has a following your chances are much better that you'll sell it for a reasonable sum. Having said that I do understand that the word investment should never be used in the same sentence as sailboat.
Old 22-03-2013, 10:21   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Wouldn't you think the force of the water against the keel while the boat is rolling, would cause more flexing of the hull? I.e. the additional weight would stiffen the boat and the boat would roll less, thus the side force would be reduced. My thought, but then I haven't been drinking..

Me thinks I'll have to pull out (and dust) off my old Naval Arch books, but I'd rather have someone who has a clue look at it and give it a go.
Yeah.... if the boat was designed to withstand severe stresses like rolling or falling off a wave, then the 400 lbs means nothing.
OTOH, suposedly the boat is 12000 displacement with 5000 ballast. Thats a 42% ballast ratio. If that's true, the boat shouldnt be tender at all..... it may have more hull form isues than ballast issues which the previous owner tried to fix with ballast.
Some hull shapes have severe roll characteristics. There was a pretty popular 43 ft cruising design that came out in the 90's by a very popular designer. There were two of them in the marina I was living aboard in. When the wind piped up, you could watch those two boats roll terribly in the slip. The boats around them were moving maybe a few inches, these boats were swinging the mast +/- 4-5 ft at the top.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 11:10   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Will hunter keel fall off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I think that adding 400# of non-designed ballast to a 34' boat is absolutely insane!!!!! I would run away before all the extra weight started dragging you down with it! Instead of betting on whether someone "fixed" a boats design go find one that is designed based on what you what to do. (but I know nothing about an 80s Hunter 34 and I ain't no expert)

On the plus side, you have to give credit to whoever built that boat as they must have really over-designed the stub and keel bolts to hold all that extra fat!

PS - I don't think there was a winner for the number of posts it would take me to respond. Next time sent me a PM with the proper bribe and I will try to help you in winning the pool.
I have a friend that ownes a Hunter 34 1984 model,in his own words"it is a piece of s*&t"..He has owned several boats and said that this was the worse one he has owned..It is a goodlooking boat if you like the very high freeboard look and it has a Yanmar that never missess a beat..He has a problem with the keel and the mast support but the boat keeps on going..It is on a large lake and I think it is great for that application but I wouldnt want to have to sail it out to sea or out of site of land..Like someone else has already said Hunter only makes the hull and deck but, thats the part that he has trouble out of...Good luck..
Old 22-03-2013, 11:16   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Cape Town View Post

One seller has added 400 pounds to the keel in the form of wings and claims it has stiffened the boat up nicely.
Funny that Hunters wastes so much time having Naval Architects design their boats when they could just get some dopey cruiser to do it for them!

Hunter keels fall off all the time, so much so that Hunter have an option for Keel Bungees. When they fall off they just BOUNCE back on again! It's an innovation!

As for the keel bolts that keep falling out they have a new Keel Bolt Machine Gun that shoots six new bolts into your hull in .0003 of a second. Dont aim at the children!

Remember, of course, that Hunter masts always break so get the option for the new Rubber Mast! Instead of breaking it stretches down like a bra and pings back up like a slap in the face.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 15:12   #27
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Funny that Hunters wastes so much time having Naval Architects design their boats when they could just get some dopey cruiser to do it for them!

Hunter keels fall off all the time, so much so that Hunter have an option for Keel Bungees. When they fall off they just BOUNCE back on again! It's an innovation!

As for the keel bolts that keep falling out they have a new Keel Bolt Machine Gun that shoots six new bolts into your hull in .0003 of a second. Dont aim at the children!

Remember, of course, that Hunter masts always break so get the option for the new Rubber Mast! Instead of breaking it stretches down like a bra and pings back up like a slap in the face.

Mark

Those were from the old option list. I got the newer group B that has the inflatable bouncy bags and the pop out expanding salon.
Old 22-03-2013, 15:39   #28

Boat: Hudson Force 50

I had a 1983 Hunter 34 for seven years. I now have a Hudson Force 50. I still miss my hunter. The boat is strong and is not tender in heavy winds. It does manage to get a bit of weather helm, but if you reef in, you can sail perfectly in high winds.

In the years I had my hunter, I sailed it solo in heavy winds in all seasons of San Francisco Bay and was never afraid of the slot. I took it down to Mexico and passed Point Conception a few times and the Hunter always behaved well.

If you think a 1980s hunter is tender, then you have never spent much time on it or have not reefed when you needed to. There is no way I would have added anything to my keel on my Hunter. If I was not trying to find a boat that I could have a wife live aboard, I would have never sold my Hunter.

Instead of investing lots of money to do things that it was not designed to do, try investing the time learning to sail the boat in the tough conditions. I promise you she will do the job.

The Witchdoctor.
Old 22-03-2013, 15:48   #29

Boat: Hunter 340
Send a message via AIM to bgallinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Those were from the old option list. I got the newer group B that has the inflatable bouncy bags and the pop out expanding salon.
Darn it!!! It seems that I have fallen way behind on the list of available options!!

Ok, this is getting tiresome. Let's move on to something sensible we can all learn from.
This thread is pathetic

Tags
hunter, keel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: