Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2015, 12:49   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Why Would Cabo Rico's Stern Set Low in Water?

Hello out there!!!
I have an offer in on a 1987 Cabo Rico 38 and I have a concern about the way the stern is setting so low in the water. The exhaust was below water completely until the owner filled up the forward water tank. Now it is halfway submerged. Also, the bottom paint does not cover what is currently submerged. The surveyor didn't find any moisture in the core when he did his check.
Anybody know why this could be? I attached a picture but it is hard to see anything in the photo.
Thanks,

Sea Nymph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moon Beams.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	105904  
Sea_Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 12:59   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Why Would Cabo Rico's Stern Set Low in Water?

I will be eager to hear any good ideas too as I have the same problem.
Is all your ground tackle there? Is the mast straight?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 13:14   #3

Guy,
Yeah the mast is straight and there is ground tackle on the bow.
Also, there isn't a lot on the boat. So there is nothing heavy stored in the stern.
Old 23-07-2015, 13:38   #4

What's stored inside? Where are the batteries? Hard to say, but it doesn't look extremely far off as far as I can tell. The boot stripe looks pretty good until it gets near the stern... maybe 1/2" off? I cant tell once it goes under the stern. But also, if someone tried to repaint the stripe on the hard it's real hard to get it correct.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 19:17   #5

There is about a 4" difference between the bow and stern
there are only two #24 batteries to Starboard next to the engine
no real weight anywhere
Old 23-07-2015, 19:27   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

All 38 CR's sit that way. Its due to the long overhang at the stern... any boat with that design will sit deep when loaded for cruising. Its a direct reflection of how much stuff is loaded on the boat. We also sit very low in the water, no need to fret... if it really concerns you simply move the exhaust up a little. In the scheme of things this is not an expensive change.

When the CR 38 was introduced, it was a simple 4' addition to the cr 34, which has less overhang at the stern. The smoothness of the ride in even the most uncomfortable of seas is closer to that of a 50 foot boat. At first, you can get a little freaked out at how low you sit in relation to the water but that is common with low freeboard boats. However, this ia key way if determining if you have too much sail up... as soon as the gunwale starts getting some water on it, its time to reef.

Even in the heaviest of weather, the boat is silent. No creaking, no slamming, no tink...tink...tink... its great. Love it.

It also has way more space inside than it first appears. We stored 3 months of provisions, including beer this spring, and we probably had room for another 3 with some creative packing.

Regarding what Cheechako said... we have raised our waterline twice. Used the scum line as a guide and its perfect. The purpose of bottom paint is to mitigate ocean life, sooooo it doesn't really matter where you academically wish the line was, it's all about where it needs to be to do its job. However, we are fully laden and if it were to go any deeper, that would signal a problem. I can't imagine how we could possibly get it any deeper... we had the boat packed to the gills this spring for the bahamas. Any deeper would signal a water leak!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 08:25   #7

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

I have a CSY 33, very similar layout, unfortunately 5 feet shorter. When I hauled out the yard told me my boat was listing to starboard. The water line was one inch higher on that side than the port side at the stern. I knew she wasn't listing because I had been living aboard for three years. I measured from the toe rail down on both sides, the stripe was painted one inch lower on the starboard side so it appeared to be sitting lower in the water. I raised the strip to match the port. Problem solved. May not be your solution but consider it.

David
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 13:10   #8

BTW - Moon Beams is hull #114 and I have 117. I think Cabo Sailor has 115 or 116...

Also, I meant to say that the 38 is an extension of the 36, not the 34.
Old 25-07-2015, 00:22   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Hard to tell from the picture but you waterline from bow to stern quarter looks fine. Has the waterline been repainted? If so if it is just incorrect. Often happens when yards don't understand the geometry of an overhanging stern and paint the waterline an equal distance vertically from the keel or ground. One needs to know the real waterline when floating.

Don't know the boat but to have an exhaust partially submerged is not all that rare.

Good looking vessel!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pbbmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 02:07   #10

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I think you have already ruled this out, and it sounds like those in the know think the trim is ok...but might as well ask...

Where do these boats store their water? Our stern came up quite a bit when I pumped 450 litres of water out of the back of the keel. I knew there was water in those tanks, I just did not realise how much. With the forward tanks emptied and the keel tanks full it threw the trim out a surprising amount for a 17 ton boat. Sitting much better now.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-07-2015, 04:39   #11

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

That does not look right. However, I can't tell from the picture if there is any ground tackle in the bow. A couple of 45 Lbs anchors and 300 lbs of chain might bring the waterline back to where it should be. If this how the boat has always floated, then there should be evidence of fouling where the water is above the painted waterline.

Friends of mine had one of the first 38s sold on the east coast and I don't believe its was as stern down as in this picture. Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of the waterline on this boat to verify that. When under power the exhaust discharge did go below the waterline as the stern squatted, but I'm sure the exhaust was above the waterline at rest.

BTW, the most recent 38s may have been derived from another model, but my friends' 38 was the first boat model Cabo Rico produced, around 1977. It sure looks like the same boat as in your picture.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 18:47   #12

100 gallons of water in the forepeak and 40 gallons of water mid ship. Fuel storage is also midship. The 40 gallon water tank can be converted to fuel if you want to.

The stern squatting is totally normal for these boats. You really want to make sure you are not loading up the stern. With that said, we fill ours to the brim and have never had any problems.
Old 25-07-2015, 18:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
That does not look right. However, I can't tell from the picture if there is any ground tackle in the bow. A couple of 45 Lbs anchors and 300 lbs of chain might bring the waterline back to where it should be. If this how the boat has always floated, then there should be evidence of fouling where the water is above the painted waterline.

Friends of mine had one of the first 38s sold on the east coast and I don't believe its was as stern down as in this picture. Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of the waterline on this boat to verify that. When under power the exhaust discharge did go below the waterline as the stern squatted, but I'm sure the exhaust was above the waterline at rest.

BTW, the most recent 38s may have been derived from another model, but my friends' 38 was the first boat model Cabo Rico produced, around 1977. It sure looks like the same boat as in your picture.

John
The original boat was called the TransAm 36 which was later renamed the Tiberon 36.

Are you speaking about Ben Harrison? His old boat is currently up in Annapolis and looking pretty sad I am told. What a shame.

Here is what looks to be a great example of a Tiburon...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975...s#.VbQ91hNViko
Old 25-07-2015, 19:12   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The stern squatting is totally normal for these boats. You really want to make sure you are not loading up the stern. With that said, we fill ours to the brim and have never had any problems.
What would you consider a problem?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 05:07   #15

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

"The original boat was called the TransAm 36 which was later renamed the Tiberon 36.
Are you speaking about Ben Harrison? His old boat is currently up in Annapolis and looking pretty sad I am told. What a shame."

Interesting, I was aware of the predecessor Tiburon model, but thought it was also a 38 and it was just a name change.
Not the Harrison boat, my friends sold their CR when they moved to SC in the late 90's. "Spindrift" is one of the most common boat names.

Still think if the float line depicted is normal, there should be evidence of fouling above the painted waterline.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico, water