Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 14:25   #16

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'
Re: Why Washboards?

Good replies!

My boat has three washboards, but the tops and bottoms are just overlapping angled edges, fitting rather loosely in the slots.
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 14:39   #17

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
... and I will add, both my boats with slatted swinging doors also had washboards that fit on the interior side of the doors.

Mine too.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 15:37   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
It is wise to fit barrel/slide bolts, or another secure fastener, on the inside faces of the drop boards to be able to lock them in position in snotty weather. Having the darned things dislodge in a knock-down can really ruin one's day.
Agreed, but consider how a crewmember topside could become trapped out there if there was no way to open the washboard/hatch. The offshore racing rules require that the washboards be able to be secured in place, but with a way for them to be opened or removed from topside. People have come up with many clever and easy ways to accomplish this.

My heavy 44-ft boat has three wooden washboards, plus a single heavy HDPE washboard that I can use in heavy weather (tied in place to comply with the racing rules). We also have a sliding hatch so we don't have to remove the washboards in order to get below (only minor contortions are required). I have a screw-port in the race-compliant washboard that I can open up to access the interior hatch deadbolt.

My boat has a bridge deck that's as high as the cockpit coamings, so it takes some pretty serious conditions before we bother to put in the washboards.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 15:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
It is wise to fit barrel/slide bolts, or another secure fastener, on the inside faces of the drop boards to be able to lock them in position in snotty weather. Having the darned things dislodge in a knock-down can really ruin one's day.
Yeah. Only needed on the top one. Although, any I've had I doubt would come out until the boat is near 180 degrees over, by that time you have lots of issues!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 16:44   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I designed and built my own dodger for my 24 . Most small sailboats you can do the same thing I did. Nothing says it has to be deployed all the time.
This photo was during the later part of design and testing phase.
I like the concept. I went a slightly different root, even more minimalist.

Yeah. No doubt I can swap the boards quick, but that doesn't solve the rainy day problem. Your solution does. You would be good in any wind on the hook, and most in a marina if you put the boards in but left the slider open.
Old 12-12-2017, 16:53   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah. Only needed on the top one. Although, any I've had I doubt would come out until the boat is near 180 degrees over, by that time you have lots of issues!
In our case we have them on both the upper an lower boards. When using both, only the upper board is locked down. In a violent knockdown, one can have a washboard go adrift even if the yacht isn't rotated to 90º to say nothing of 180º. At least on our boat, the board only has to move "upward" a few inches before the sides of the board would be disengaged from the diagonal channels on either side and, essentially, "free" to fly. (BTDT!!!) As to crews being locked "outside", one merely needs slide the hatch-cover forward a few inches to be able to reach inside to free the upper drop-board. In snotty weather, however, in 60+ years I have yet to see on-deck crew-men/women rushing to get below. Normally its the opposite.

N'any case, "Why Washboards?", because they (mostly) keep the ocean on the outside of the boat, where it belongs!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 17:00   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I like the concept. I went a slightly different root, even more minimalist.

Yeah. No doubt I can swap the boards quick, but that doesn't solve the rainy day problem. Your solution does. You would be good in any wind on the hook, and most in a marina if you put the boards in but left the slider open.
after I added the diagonal last fall I went sailing and ended up beating to weather for 3 days in force 7 near gales the whole time. ( just before thanksgiving last year) it didn't even shake I was very happy with the results.
Old 12-12-2017, 17:35   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

On our 44’ center cockpit the bridge deck is as high as the comings, and we have 2 - 4” cockpit drains. It came with 2 wooden washboards that are lockable for security. I made a single piece washboard out of clear plastic, pecan or something, I forget. I like it because it provides a lot of protection but also lets in light. Nice for living on a dock in winter. When not in use it sits against the sette back and takes no space.

My Wife made a companionway cover out of sunbrella and eisenglass. Magnets hold it down. We just flip it back when entering. Works well to keep rain and bugs out while letting in sun.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 17:44   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
after I added the diagonal last fall I went sailing and ended up beating to weather for 3 days in force 7 near gales the whole time. ( just before thanksgiving last year) it didn't even shake I was very happy with the results.
Without pictures it never happened . Just teasing!

Seriously, show us what it looks like. I'm curious and I'm sure it will help someone.
Old 12-12-2017, 17:49   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Without pictures it never happened . Just teasing!

Seriously, show us what it looks like. I'm curious and I'm sure it will help someone.
sorry no pictures of the near finished product yet. But there are several more pictures on my page in several albums. Of it and several other projects.
Old 13-12-2017, 01:22   #26

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I put the bottom washboard in (of two) put a piece of pool noodle over it, presto-chango; center cockpit seat. Well, sort of.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 03:28   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Another problem with washboards is rain. How do you remove them, go below, and replace them in the rain without dousing the cabin? A dodger is one option, but that is more a cruiser answer that works well on larger boats. What about smaller boats? What about ventilation in the rain?

[My PDQ with the hard top was deluxe. I hardly ever wore rain gear. Now I have an F-24 and had to invent a solution, since a dodger would look horrible an get in the way.]
The rain problem is a result of a design flaw: why are aft ends of cabins sloped? Just to get them off the mold, perhaps? This so annoyed me on my first boat (an Irwin 27), that when I built my current boat, I made the house plumb aft, with an overhanging eave. So the companionway slider slides four inches past the opening, and I can leave the boards out for ventilation in the worst tropical downpours. In all our tropical cruising, the only time the boards went in was when locking up to go ashore.
There are pics on my blog, a few posts up from the last.