Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 10:15   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400
Why Should I Paint the Bottom ?

From previous threads about bottom paint I learned that many sailors, myself included are not happy with the bottom paint used. They are too expensive, don't last long..........so why paint at all? Could you save money if you just pay somebody to clean your hull on a regular bases? Also, the haul out charges keep going up .......I am currently sailing at the Atlantic side of Panama.
Any thoughts
KatKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:20   #2

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Why Should I Paint the Bottom ?

If you didn't use any AF your bottom would foul in days when in warmer waters.Keeping it moored in freshwater would help.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:43   #3

Boat: 73 pearson 35

If you paint with a hard epoxy.Not a anti fouling but .....back in the day was imron but am sure there are better now.You will cut the yearlies to about once in 4......IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT....that means dives every other day with a yellow sponge/scratch pad.Get a hoka rig and look at is as going to the gym.....
my thoughts
Mark
PS...toulet plunger will keep glued to the hull
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:51   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKokomo View Post
From previous threads about bottom paint I learned that many sailors, myself included are not happy with the bottom paint used. They are too expensive, don't last long..........so why paint at all? Could you save money if you just pay somebody to clean your hull on a regular bases? Also, the haul out charges keep going up .......I am currently sailing at the Atlantic side of Panama.
Any thoughts
Start leaving your dingy in the water, cleaning as needed. That will give you some idea of your area. You will find it is horrible.

I'm rather happy with Micron 66. Virtually (2x) no cleaning for 2 years. There are other 2-year paints out there too, so I'm not puffing Interlux. And though it is expensive, hauling every 2 years for a good look at the bottom seems wise, even if paint were not needed.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:22   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
...so why paint at all?
With anti fouling paint, boats in high fouling waters need frequent cleaning.

Without anti fouling paint, boats in high fouling waters quickly become too foul to clean.

That's why.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:26   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Start leaving your dingy in the water, cleaning as needed. That will give you some idea of your area. You will find it is horrible.
+1

Quote:
I'm rather happy with Micron 66. Virtually (2x) no cleaning for 2 years. There are other 2-year paints out there too, so I'm not puffing Interlux.
Please know that a paint that works wonders in your boating area may not provide the same performance in another. Also, the descriptor "2-year paint" does not mean the paint doesn't need to be cleaned for two years. It means you can expect to get two years of service from it. Here in the Bay Area, Micron 66 needs to be cleaned every two months.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:18   #7

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
+1

Please know that a paint that works wonders in your boating area may not provide the same performance in another. Also, the descriptor "2-year paint" does not mean the paint doesn't need to be cleaned for two years. It means you can expect to get two years of service from it. Here in the Bay Area, Micron 66 needs to be cleaned every two months.
What would be your recommendation for Sea of Cortez and Mexico Pacific coast?
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
What would be your recommendation for Sea of Cortez and Mexico Pacific coast?
I think Pettit Trinidad is the best anti fouling paint available. But I don't service boats in Mexico, so I am not really qualified to offer an opinion of what works well there.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:59   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:

I'm rather happy with Micron 66. Virtually (2x) no cleaning for 2 years. There are other 2-year paints out there too, so I'm not puffing Interlux. And though it is expensive, hauling every 2 years for a good look at the bottom seems wise, even if paint were not needed.
Don't head north from Deal or up into the creeks. Micron 66 will become permanently deactivated by fresh water, and is impaired by brackish water. Interlux tech support will confirm this. They advertise it as a saltwater paint (only).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58   #10

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400

Quote:
Any thoughts

I painted the bottom 4 years ago. By now the protection is pretty much gone but I clean my hull frequently (still looks great)
I will wait until I get to the Pacific and paint at low tide just before I will cross the Pacific next year.
Thanks for all your input.
KatKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
+1

Fastbottoms is right of course. I was only offering an illustration. However, I assure you the Chesapeake is not a "slow growth" area; We have significant pollution issues and non-treated paint turns green in 2 days in the summer!

If I could not get 2 years out of a paint and had to scrub more, I would go to a hard paint, such as Trinidad, I am sure.

Without antifouling or a slick paint that is renewed annually (same problem, no?) I'm not sure it's even possible, in the water, unless you have air and put a professional effort into it every few days. Less than that, and I think Fastbottoms is right; it simply becomes impossible to get to a clean bottom. The cheapest solution is to buy the right paint for the area (2-3 coats), and then stretch it as far as you can with careful cleaning. Even then, in my expereince, when the paint is done, it's done and cleaning increases geometrically, to where a weekly cleaning isn't enough.
Old 04-12-2011, 14:14   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Don't head north from Deal or up into the creeks. Micron 66 will become permanently deactivated by fresh water, and is impaired by brackish water. Interlux tech support will confirm this. They advertise it as a saltwater paint (only).
That's true, but it's not quite that bad. We had M66 and spent a lot of time in fresh/brackish creeks in the Chesapeake. Before doing so I talked with Interlux and they said it is OK in fresh water for 2-3 weeks at a time and any brackish would be OK for a long time.

They now make Micron 77, which is a chemical ablative like 66 that can be used indefinitely in fresh and brackish water.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 14:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That's true, but it's not quite that bad. We had M66 and spent a lot of time in fresh/brackish creeks in the Chesapeake. Before doing so I talked with Interlux and they said it is OK in fresh water for 2-3 weeks at a time and any brackish would be OK for a long time.

They now make Micron 77, which is a chemical ablative like 66 that can be used indefinitely in fresh and brackish water.

Mark
The Interlux rep told me that problems are rare as far north as Annapolis for those that either sand off much of the existing paint OR are in the habit of using up and scrubbing off between paintings. Those that have the most trouble are those that have painted more proactively (for example, haul and paint every winter). The problem is not so much deactivation as orange pealing and falling off. On the other hand, my paint simply wore thin, revealing some red Micron CSC I had put under it in the wear areas.

I've certainly cruised in freshwater, but only for a few days, now and then. Our dock is 4-10 ppt salinity (I've tested it, as we keep aquariums). The ocean is >27 ppt.

It's not a bad thing, that the factory is conservative.

I don't think Micron 77 is released yet in the US, or at least not at the time of the October boat show">Annapolis boat show.
Old 04-12-2011, 15:53   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater

The Interlux rep told me that problems are rare as far north as Annapolis for those that either sand off much of the existing paint OR are in the habit of using up and scrubbing off between paintings. Those that have the most trouble are those that have painted more proactively (for example, haul and paint every winter). The problem is not so much deactivation as orange pealing and falling off. On the other hand, my paint simply wore thin, revealing some red Micron CSC I had put under it in the wear areas.

I've certainly cruised in freshwater, but only for a few days, now and then. Our dock is 4-10 ppt salinity (I've tested it, as we keep aquariums). The ocean is >27 ppt.

It's not a bad thing, that the factory is conservative.

I don't think Micron 77 is released yet in the US, or at least not at the time of the October Annapolis boat show.
I couldn't stomach the cost of Micron 66. However switched to Micron Extra from the previous paint and longevity went from 12 months up to 18. We use the blue as it apparently has a higher copper content.

We have a significantly warm, nutrient rich environment. I am pretty happy with Micron Extra. We also periodically go up river to brakish water spending no more than weekends at a time with no percieved ill effects.

I don't dive on the boat. I have it hauled in the slipway at high tide and pressure washed. After application its 4 months, 4 months then the interval needed starts dropping. When I get to one month its time to repaint.

YMMV...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint