Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 23:56   #16

Boat: Islander 36
Being one who would rather eat snakes than sand or paint anything, I've always left such things to the yard. I recall them telling me that the boat should be splashed while the last coat is still not so dry. Now I'm reading just the opposite.

Have I had my chain jerked..... again?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Being one who would rather eat snakes than sand or paint anything, I've always left such things to the yard. I recall them telling me that the boat should be splashed while the last coat is still not so dry. Now I'm reading just the opposite. Have I had my chain jerked..... again?
The yard would be using sloughing antifoul paint, probably because it's cheaper. That has to be splashed promptly after the last coat. The more expensive ablative antifoul can sit on the hard for yonks and still be good. I use the sloughing because it's cheaper and because boats belong in the water.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:59   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
For Seahawk Islands 44(plus) users: after finishing the anti-fouling, let it dry for 5-7 days before launching. Doing so will make it last longer (3 years with 2 coats for us)
How do you figure that? Application guidlines say nothing about it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:22   #19

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Nick, with 2 coats and extra on the waterline you get great time in the water. Are you in year around? What type of temperatures? Do you dive the boat to clean the bottom?

We are in Grenada, all year and the boat is out maybe 2 weeks only. I try to dive the boat once a month, generally snorkel once a month and dive every other month. Although just started that routine and it improves the staying power greatly. I use Island 44, palm sand with 80 grit twice around the boat then paint.

Dave
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 23:02   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
How do you figure that? Application guidlines say nothing about it.
They did.. I just checked and now they only state a MINIMUM drying time of 12h. The advise of 5-7 days for optimal results was probably found to be "bad marketing" and removed. I'm sure they will tell you when you ask them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Nick, with 2 coats and extra on the waterline you get great time in the water. Are you in year around? What type of temperatures? Do you dive the boat to clean the bottom?

We are in Grenada, all year and the boat is out maybe 2 weeks only. I try to dive the boat once a month, generally snorkel once a month and dive every other month. Although just started that routine and it improves the staying power greatly. I use Island 44, palm sand with 80 grit twice around the boat then paint.
Yes. we are in the water 3 years between hauls... in the Caribbean. With new paint we do nothing about it for as long as possible. Then we start scraping, trying to never use scrubbing as it removes the paint quickly. I mostly check and scrape before a trip but when anchored for longer periods at the same spot I do the monthly thing too.

When you still have some Islands 44 on the hull with haul-out, a good scrub with clean fresh water and scotchbrite pad works as well as sanding I think.. I don't notice any difference.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 23:24   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
They did.. I just checked and now they only state a MINIMUM drying time of 12h. The advise of 5-7 days for optimal results was probably found to be "bad marketing" and removed. I'm sure they will tell you when you ask them though.
I'm not going to ask them, because I will never touch their product, it being illegal here in the States. I'm not even going to ask how you justify using a product as harmful to the enevironment as that one is.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:38   #22

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
It is only illegal for boats under 80'. Lip service.
I can't get my regular paint (trinidad) in Jolly harbor ,Antigua,So, a gallon of Seahawk 44plus goin' on. $900 ec a gallon!(about$350usd)
VIVA TBT!
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:53   #23
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
It is only illegal for boats under 80'.
Time to join the civilized world. The global ban on TbT anti fouling paints on ALL vessels took effect in 2008. Only the most backward, third world nations still allow its use. It's bad juju and as a sailor, you should be leading the way towards good stewardship of the seas, IMHO, not advocating for the use of a terrible poison when there are better alternatives readily available for your use.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02   #24

Like I said , "lip service" .
bad juju? leading the way? ha .
Have fun in your civilized world ( California), scrubbing poorly painted bottoms, I'll stick with backward, un -civilized, toxic , rum squalls.
It's politricks Amigo, Wanna jump to the front of a years long wait for a slip? Switch to eco paint. Wanna keep the nasties off your boat? Use big guns.
better alternatives? rriiiggghhhhtttt.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:04   #25
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Like I said , "lip service" .
bad juju? leading the way? ha .
Have fun in your civilized world ( California), scrubbing poorly painted bottoms, I'll stick with backward, un -civilized, toxic , rum squalls.
It's politricks Amigo, Wanna jump to the front of a years long wait for a slip? Switch to eco paint. Wanna keep the nasties off your boat? Use big guns.
better alternatives? rriiiggghhhhtttt.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:24   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
... The global ban on TbT anti fouling paints on ALL vessels took effect in 2008 ...
The International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-fouling Systems on Ships was adopted on October 5, 2001, and entered into force on September 17, 2008.

The Convention prohibits the use of harmful organotins (particularly tributyltin - TBT compounds) in anti-fouling paints used on ships, and establishes a mechanism to prevent the potential future use of other harmful substances in anti-fouling systems. Anti-fouling systems to be prohibited or controlled will be are listed in an annex (Annex 1) to the Convention, which will be updated as and when necessary. This applies to all ships (including fixed and floating platforms, floating storage units (FSUs), and Floating Production Storage and Offtake units (FPSOs); excepting warships.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg522/cg5...ntifouling.pdf

http://www.imo.org/Conventions/mainf...p?topic_id=529

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:26   #27

Warships, heh heh
Thanks GM, for the update, now I know I gots' the good stuff.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:35   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... now I know I gots' the good stuff.
You may think it’s the “good stuff”, but I think it’s continued use is unjustified, morally reprehensible, and illegal in the entire civilized world.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:56   #29

2 whale burgers.. with a side of turtle..
Old 06-12-2010, 09:22   #30

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-fouling Systems on Ships was adopted on October 5, 2001, and entered into force on September 17, 2008.
(CLIP)
This applies to all ships (including fixed and floating platforms, floating storage units (FSUs), and Floating Production Storage and Offtake units (FPSOs); excepting warships.
High mindedness and environmental protection work well together, but when warships get a pass, I call it hypocrisy. The previous "over 80 (83?) feet" allowance got even more of a laugh, but for warships which should be going fast enough, constantly enough, to get a pass, particularly in light of the size of the surface exposed, to keep their bottoms clean, I have little respect for the convention.

That said, I'm unlikely to be using TBT paint before it becomes unobtanium, so the issue, other than on a personally offensive level, is moot to me.

L8R

Skip, needing a bottom job soon
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling