Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 09:43   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
have never had a problem with build up as i only haul every 5 yrs..lol....yard removes all old paint and then adds more.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:54   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
High mindedness and environmental protection work well together, but when warships get a pass, I call it hypocrisy...
Quoting:
"This Convention shall not apply to any warships, naval auxiliary, or other ships owned or operated by a Party and used, for the time being, only on government non-commercial service. However, each Party shall ensure, by the adoption of appropriate measures not impairing operations or operational capabilities of such ships owned or operated by it, that such ships act in a manner consistent, so far as is reasonable and practicable, with this Convention."

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:11   #33

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Just as a point of calibration for this discussion, the TBT-based paints now available consist of 10% TBT and 30-50% copper compounds as their antifoulants. Some also have zinc compounds also.

This is dramatically different compositions than the older TBT paints, which contained upwards of 50-60% TBT. These paints are no longer available (well, maybe for the military).

Again, a point of calibration only and not a statement of ethics or excuse for use.

Mark (I posted this on the TBT thread also, so forgive my plagiarism of myself).

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 22:56   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
some points of consideration:

1. pls stop insulting nations just because they have different laws. Your definition of "civilized" might be way different than that of others and there's much more bad things for the marine environment than anti-fouling paints... like the biggest oil spill in history for example. When we allow this discussion to take the path of nation vs nation it will end badly imo.

2. don't even think for a second that "legal" anti-fouling is good for the environment.

3. somebody should calculate the impact of a 70% copper based paint applied each year vs. a 20% TBT + 40% copper based paint applied every 3 years. In other words, does 3 times the amount of this legal 70% copper paint still impact the environment (much) less than this TBT based paint?

4. afaik I never broke the law using TBT paint. It's legal here. I used a "legal" 70% copper paint during a haul-out in the USA and it was completely finished 2 months later in the Caribbean (put on in FL, 100% shot in the DR). What I mean here is that it's easy to take a standpoint against a highly effective paint when your own cruising waters don't require that level of protection. Nations closer to the equator have to deal with a completely different level of fouling.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 23:19   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
2 whale burgers.. with a side of turtle..
Mr. Smith, at the point of your 82nd post on this forum, you're starting to sound like a someone more interested in inciting arguments than contributing to discussions.

This forum is a community of individuals who share a common interest in boating and cruising. Our goal is to become a community of friends. Our community standards, as expressed here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules particularly state that "[Friends] don't take every opportunity to express their disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, and fan flames. When they are incapable of avoiding this sort of thing, they become much more disruptive than welcome."

I have reported your 82nd post to our moderators, in the hope that they can help you come to realize that if you can't join us as a friend, you really ought to take your inflammatory posts elsewhere. PM me and I'll be happy to recommend boating websites where posts such as the one above are appreciated.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:58   #36
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
3. somebody should calculate the impact of a 70% copper based paint applied each year vs. a 20% TBT + 40% copper based paint applied every 3 years. In other words, does 3 times the amount of this legal 70% copper paint still impact the environment (much) less than this TBT based paint?
The damage caused by tributyl tin to the ecosystem of our coastal waterways is lasting and ongoing and there are studies that show this. While copper is also a poison (and therefore also being considered for further reduction or elimination) I am aware of no data that shows that it is damaging the environment.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:55   #37
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I am aware of no data that shows that it (red.: copper) is damaging the environment.
omg.. time to end discussion with you.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 13:00   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
omg.. time to end discussion with you.
Prove me wrong, if you can.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 13:53   #39
CLOD

Boat: none
Just my view...........but this thread has lost its' way and has nothing to do about extra coats of bottom paint anymore and now is just a view point battle.

I know what to do going forward.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling