Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 11:35   #76

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Why is everything on a boat so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Why Is this thread still running?
The reason why I am asking is because every answer given is off topic to the original poster's question; (including the first part of mine) If you look at the grammar. it was clear that he was trying to "throw the cat among the pigeons" In post one he said he was a 'lurker on here' living by a freash water lake and not a serious sailor.

in his second post made comments implying that he was trying to consider trying to make money for himself as an
Entrepreneur By solving deign problems. with no clear idea's and in subsequent posts virtually admitted he was just having some fun with it.

Now he has some real fun that it has taken off on a life of it's own with arguments over aircraft parts.

would one of you Moderators this one off the site so we can get back to some more serious business???

Just saying

As you probably know, many times a thread will take on a life of it's own after a few preliminary answers to the OP

On this thread, I was thinking how really easy it is to buy things for a boat at low expense but then considered why not buy a few items that could possibly save your life or make sailing safer since I haven't spent that much so far on the boat or equipment.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 12:26   #77

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Define "Off topic"
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 13:35   #78

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You can spend as much as you like if that makes you feel safe, but that doesn't mean you have to spend a lot to go sailing or cruising safely as many people seem to do. . .
OP's question: Why is everything on a boat so expensive?

My belief: Not everything is "so expensive", but some items are because they need to be designed and manufactured to withstand heavy loads and demanding conditions. Hopefully experience and education will give me the common sense to know when it is appropriate to spend a bit more and when it is a waste of money...
Old 26-10-2015, 15:58   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
OP's question: Why is everything on a boat so expensive?

My belief: Not everything is "so expensive", but some items are because they need to be designed and manufactured to withstand heavy loads and demanding conditions. Hopefully experience and education will give me the common sense to know when it is appropriate to spend a bit more and when it is a waste of money...
Funny thing is though some of the old, cheaper boats are way overbuilt with equipment that can withstand much heavier loads than the newer more expensive boats .......

It's all up to the individual how much they want to spend..........say $5,000 or $205,000. (or more)
Old 26-10-2015, 19:24   #80

Boat: Coast 30

NO. I did not forget anything. I have learnt some very important information on here from people who posed some very valid questions, That got answered by some very knowledgeable people. So I am just a little bit surprised that so many people did not realize that this was arguably started by an an irreverent question posted with what might be possibly be viewed as insincere prankster intent. and perhaps we should not have got drawn into it.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 20:07   #81

Quote:
NO. I did not forget anything. I have learnt some very important information on here from people who posed some very valid questions, That got answered by some very knowledgeable people. So I am just a little bit surprised that so many people did not realize that this was arguably started by an an irreverent question posted with what might be possibly be viewed as insincere prankster intent. and perhaps we should not have got drawn into it.

It is remotely possible that at least some people here are guilty of the sin of subtlety....
Old 27-10-2015, 19:53   #82

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilley View Post
That said, why is everything so expensive to refit on a boat?
Because you don't get your stuff from China. That's what the western chandleries do, and then they mark their prices up drastically.

There are Chinese chandleries. They build big yachts there, for Chinese customers.

What are some mail order chandleries in China?
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 00:38   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Gosh. When did they make you in charge?
And would you kindly stop shouting in your bold faced way?

thanks.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 08:39   #84

Coastal - insert expletive. Sorry guys, I got busy at work. It was an f'ing honest question. No subtlety, no implied snark, and I READILY admitted my ignorance. Jesus, go get a drink.
cgilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 08:44   #85

Weavis - it was NOT irreverent. I keep seeing people as questions about refit costs, engine repairs, cat engine seized is this a good price, etc, etc. The numbers quoted were BIG to me. With the blatant thread hijack with the reference to capitalism, there's a lot of good information and opinions in the thread.
Old 31-10-2015, 09:31   #86

Quote:
Weavis - it was NOT irreverent. I keep seeing people as questions about refit costs, engine repairs, cat engine seized is this a good price, etc, etc. The numbers quoted were BIG to me. With the blatant thread hijack with the reference to capitalism, there's a lot of good information and opinions in the thread.
I'm not weavis, but I'll give it a shot (without shouting).

Refit costs and engine repairs have much to do with LABOR costs. That's why so many of us have learned to DIY, plus it gets done right. I have had two instances in the past 17 years that I've owned this boat where "trained professionals" have screwed things up that I've had to fix. No more. I do it all myself. I simply won't let anyone else work on my boat (except for dodger repairs which I simply can't do, although many have gotten quality sewing machines and do so themselves).

Engine costs are high because of specific parts needed for any given engine. Not much different than a car. The cost in TIME to disconnect everything related to an engine is huge. We (my son & I) recently spent over a week to remove & replace our muffler and exhaust riser. I got the muffler for the cost of shipping from a nice internet friend who was trashing his old one that was in great condition only because the inlet ports for his own engine replacement project required bigger ones. My cost $40. A new one is $300.

I could have made a new exhaust riser for <$100 plus $50 for the insulation, but chose to buy a new pre-made one (specifically for my boat's design/layout) with insulation for $400, figuring the savings on the muffler would almost even out, plus 'cuz I saved the cost of designing one with regular pipe.

I buy everything I need now from a well stocked hardware store that has both metric and SAE stainless steel fasteners.

I don't buy green propane bottles or batteries from West Marine either. I found a local supplier for batteries that are high quality and I see them every five or or six years.

I got smart and learned how to keep my costs down by what my wife says she does every time she goes grocery shopping: comparative shopping.

I needed a new water heater two years ago. The internet found me a range of prices from $260 to $395 for the same damn unit!!! But I did my own research and homework, and have shared that experience with folks who get on internet boating forums and ask how they can find the best price on something.

So, unless it's a specialty part specific to a boat or a major part of the boat, like an engine or rigging, one CAN find less expensive options. Having someone else do the work will drive the cost through the roof, unless, for example, you're like zeehag in Mexico and have found great local guys who do superb work with good service for a reasonable price. But you have to go find them, they don't come to you.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 10:13   #87

You may just want to read more on that Atom Voyages website.

http://atomvoyages.com/

You can cruise for a lot cheaper than most here on CF will tell you.

But my cruising when I start for real will be more similar to "Into the Wild" on a boat. Sort of a back to nature minimalist style (except for the bottled water and beer)

I think it was Baldwin's first trip sailing South that his Pearson Triton started falling apart and he had to rebuild/strengthen it.

But he was sailing!

I'm kind of going that route and fixing things as I go. So far I have done zero structural repairs on my $2,000 boat. (just painting so far) And after I tried a second old diesel that I removed and replaced alone at the dock, I went with an outboard much like Baldwin did although I didn't put in the aft lazarette

I also added a new main. The boat already had almost new jibs, good anchors, GPS, depth, etc

That was in 2011 and I have sailed it a lot since. I'm at a place where the Atlantic meets the Chesapeake Bay and there is plenty of rough weather to test the boat in without going more than 10 miles offshore.

So far this 40 year old boat has done well. It seems to like winds at 16 knots plus. It heels over to 25-30 degrees and just stays there. You can even set the autopilot go forward and sit on the cabin if the wind isn't shifting too much (or stand by the mast)

Capsize ratio is 1.71 on my boat also which is quite good.

I may replace the chain plates and rigging in a few years...
Old 31-10-2015, 10:42   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
er........... I think I was remonstrating with someone for wanting to close the thread and being against your question.......

Reading comprehension is valuable even in this day and age...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 11:15   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
er........... I think I was remonstrating with someone for wanting to close the thread and being against your question.......

Umm, <blush>. You commented on something by coastal explorer (alleging I was not serious - I am) and I tossed you under the bus. Apologies to you and the bus.

Old 31-10-2015, 11:17   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Especially in this day and age....