Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-09-2009, 13:03   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I look at it this way, and correct me if I am wrong.

Methuselah Yachts want to build 50 "Old Fogey 36's"

They are going to need 50 engines, 50 masts, 50 sails, 300 cleats, 100 winches etc etc.

They put those items out for bid.

Just like the plate in a Jet Fighter......"Remember this plane was built by the LOWEST bidder"
What does this have to do with the original question except ANSWER it? So now you've admitted why boat owners change and upgrade things because the MANUFACTURER may have cut serious corners in favor of the LOWEST price.

I'm sure many PE@R$0N owners would not like to find out the hard way that the factory installed cleats they rely on to hold their boat to a mooring or dock are hollow pieces of junk, as a fellow Mainer did...

Many owners upgrade or change things for VERY good reasons, because they were NOT done right to begin with! To flat out assume the manufacturer is divine and always makes the BEST choices is quite a stretch any way you slice it up..

This is one example of an area I would surely want to "deviate" from the factory installed choice..

And the results of some number crunchers cost cutting tactics..

Now c'mon those cleats are not even pool float quality let alone robust enough for a 36 foot sloop. The cleats on my old Catalina 36 were very similar and replaced with massive Herreshoff cleats before she was even launched.

Photos courtesy of Kismet.

Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 13:25   #32

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
My boat was built to sell to others. Many compromises were made to appeal to the masses. Making the boat mine involved ridding the boat of those compromises that don't suit my planned usage. I don't arbitrarily change things, I live with the boat and over time develope strategies for change based on the boats shortcomings. The last boat I owned I redesigned everything except the shape of the hull. Cut out the transom, redesigned cockpit layout, bulkhead/connecting members,opening hatches and portlights. When I sold it a 40 year veteran captain looked it over liked what he saw and bought it for his niece. The boat was called forsailbyowner and that was how it was built.

forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 14:50   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
They aren't sailing. Or they are sailing and have Internet onboard, but these are few.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 19:55   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Theirs a thing called "jungle drums" or

coconut telegraph....or the hollow log (in the Tarzan movies)

Boom-Boom-Bangity-Bag-Tap-Tap-Boom-Bang-Tap-Bang Bang Bang/Roll
(Translation) Beware of HideyHo Boatworks...I got really "Filistered" last week

Originally Posted by Microship View Post
No response to my complaints, but he cost me a ridiculous $80/hour. Basically, he took advantage of a newbie, then failed to make good on any problems as promised. Eventually, in a reputation-based economy, this sort of behavior kills off the unethical, but it takes a long time.

Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 20:52   #35

Boat: Amazon 44
ROFL! Yes, drumming is most appropriate.

S/V Nomadness
Nomadic Research Labs
Microship is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: