Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 04:55   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Who Makes My Perkins Hydraulic Governor ?

I currently have the hydroulic govenor off my 1984 Perkins 4.108 lowline. I am trying to get an engineering diagram (Exploded view) of the unit for reassembly.

I have all the shop and parts manual for the motor and unfortunately it doesn't show my govenor. Thought if I could find out who made the thing they might be a source for the diagram.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 05:44   #2

Boat: Cooper 416
Re: Who makes my Perkins Hydroulic Govenor

If you have a lowline perkins your pump probably isn't hydraulic. If your heat exchanger is a bowman and on the side with rubber boots on it .You mostly likeky have a CAV injection pump. And you perkins is a new 4-108 m Is it blue.In anycase call TAD on the east coast and Stewart Marine in Seattle on the west.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 05:50   #3

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Who makes my Perkins Hydroulic Govenor

It is a CAV, I am under the assumption it is a hydroulic govenor. I does not look like any of the DPA govenors I have seen.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 13:02   #4

Boat: Cooper 416
Re: Who Makes My Perkins Hydraulic Governor ?

Get your engine number and the injection pump number. And go to the Cav web page. It will tell you everthing. TA Diesel is good but expensive though. If you pull the in jection pump be sure and mark your alingment.If not visible with a cold chisel. Good luck
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 13:16   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I currently have the hydroulic govenor off my 1984 Perkins 4.108 lowline. I am trying to get an engineering diagram (Exploded view) of the unit for reassembly.

I have all the shop and parts manual for the motor and unfortunately it doesn't show my govenor. Thought if I could find out who made the thing they might be a source for the diagram.
The Injection pumps--including govenors--are evidently made by a subsidiary of Perkins and finding an engineering drawing of the device seems all but impossible due to the proprietary nature of the equipment. I and several other engineers have be trying to obtain the drawings for some time without success and even the chief technician at Southeast Power, the only certified Perkins repair depot in sothwest Florida, reported that even he was unable to obtain a copy of the document. You may be more successful in your search and, if so, there are many others that would like to have a copy of the document but don't hold your breath.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 15:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post

I am currently rebuilding a Perkins 4-108 with a Lucas CAV DPA type fuel injector pump. The governor is integral to the pump. Try Lucas CAV in your search engine. I had not rebuilt one in several years, but the price the various firms are asking are $$$$, so I got out my textbook from 40+ years ago and it is back together and running. Cleanliness is mandatory.

Tom
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins