Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 15:24   #1

Boat: Catana 471
Who can print boat name on Sunbrella

New to us boat has the old boat name printed on the stack pack, similar to this..

Of course we're changing the name, and my canvas person isn't sure how to do this. I've seen instructions for applying graphics to Sunbrella using a "stencil and paint" approach, but am concerned this won't be durable enough. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who can print the new name on a strip of Sunbrella, which we can then stitch onto the stack pack, covering the old name.

Anyone know of a company that has this capability and might be willing to print the name-strip and ship it to me? (I'd call the folks who did the one in the photo above, except they're down under, and I'm in TX.)

Much thanks!
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 16:00   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Who can print boat name on Sunbrella

I've no idea how good these people are (I'd be interested myself)

How to Put Graphics on Sunbrella® Awning and Marine Fabric - Sailrite

https://www.sailrite.com/.../Sunbrella-How-To-Apply-Graphics-To-Awning-And-Mari...
Sunbrella fabrics are typically used on awning and marine applications. Commercial ... computer- cut graphics we recommend the following. iNStRUCtioNS:.

Graphics Applications | Eide Industries, Inc.

https://www.eideindustries.com/graphics/
Before we print, we'll send you a dimensioned computer produced proof sheet showing all the ... Sunbrella® Graphics System is a unique multi-color letter and logo ... Eide offers Screen Printing, Fusion Graphics®, Eradication, Cut and Radio ...
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 16:27   #3

Thanks. That sailrite document is instructions for the "stencil and paint" method I'm hoping to avoid, but looks like EIDE might be able to do exactly what we're looking for. I'll give them a shout and find out.
Old 14-02-2019, 22:37   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Easiest way I know to do it is to make 2 white rectangles to superimpose for each side. Then make patterns for the lettering of the name in Navy Blue (don't try for a perfect match, you're after a little contrast), then stitch the dark letters on the white backgrounds, and stitch the rectangles to the stack pak sides, et voila.

Ann

Why try do avoid SailRite's way, they are usually simplest?

A.
Old 15-02-2019, 05:13   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

An alternative to "printing" the yacht's name on a strip of canvas is that used by our canvas technician on our boat. That involved using a stencil to outline the name on a strip of white vinyl, than using an exacto knife and a French curve to cut the name out, adhering it to a strip of canvas with rubber cement and finally, sewing the edges of the lettering to the canvas with color matched thread. A little time consuming if the name is very long but the results are very pleasing. Attached (hopefully) is a snap of our boat with the name on our sail cover.

FWIW...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPYC 2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	185942  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 12:55   #6

Thanks Ann. My worry was that sailrite's method -- painting letters on the sunbrella -- might not be particularly durable. Maybe I'm wrong to dismiss that approach? Still, the the stitched lettering approach that you and HyLyte described does sounds better to me.
Old 16-02-2019, 18:51   #7

Boat: Contest 35

I recently had the same need. On new Sunbrella privacy cloths port and starboard of the cockpit I had the name of the board painted. My wife found an awning company in Clearwater to do the work. The materials are durable enough to withstand Clearwater's sun and the company showed us photos of awnings they produced 10 years ago. I guess we'll see how ours fair, but we toured their operation and were satisfied with the end result.

I did the artwork for the name which they then digitized and printed an adhesive backed "negative" template. The template was pasted to the cloths and then paint was applied. When the template was pealed away the name remained. They looks great and the detail achieved was wonderful. The company even fabricated the new privacy cloths so I didn't need to hassle with multiple vendors, and they used UV resistant thread and brass grommets.

All total, including 2 new cloths, time to digitize and resize my artwork, and painting both cloths was $349. We thought that was a good value.

So, you might look at commercial awning companies to do your job!
rtooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 12:01   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi jetx,

I don't think SailRite would mislead their customers, I'd have heard about that on CF. I do think paint will work, because I've seen acrylic dodgers that have been painted over entirely and Sunbrella is acrylic fabric. The owners were satisfied with their re-seal jobs. Imo, much better than a leaky dodger.

Ann
Old 17-02-2019, 12:13   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Stencil and paint is the old traditional way but being obsoleted.

The new way, done on t-shirts and hoodies and other clothing, is for a vinyl shop to cut heat-transfer vinyl with a conventional cutting machine, which can be a small Crikut cutter from a hobby store, or the big cutters they use for vinyl signage.

Then the heat-transfer vinyl is placed on a transfer scrim, all the inappropriate parts (middle of "O", etc.) picked off, and the vinyl and cloth are put on a heated platen, which is closed to heat and transfer the vinyl.

The result looks very much like a conventional stencil job, except it is heat-fused thin vinyl not paint. Available in a wide range of colors, and if your sail cover was brought into the shop--they could put the name right on it. The heat platens are usually open on two sides, so larger cloth can be used in them.

Not sure how these places call themselves so a little online searching may be needed. Or, a trip to your local mall to see whoever does custom t-shirts and hoodies.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 13:24   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

If I wanted my boat's name (or anything else) on canvas, I'd embroider it with Tenara.
But that's just my computerized sewing machine tech background coming out to play.
It can be done with a Bernina 8 Series and continuous embroidery.
With Tenara thread, the embroidery would outlast the canvas.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 13:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi jetx,

I don't think SailRite would mislead their customers, I'd have heard about that on CF. I do think paint will work, because I've seen acrylic dodgers that have been painted over entirely and Sunbrella is acrylic fabric. The owners were satisfied with their re-seal jobs. Imo, much better than a leaky dodger.

Ann
Any idea what brand or type of paint was used to re seal the dodger Ann?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 14:16   #12

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

I agree with "Senormechanico". Contact a local canvas shop that does computerized monogrammed embroidery for their clients' canvas awnings storefronts, italian restaurants, etc. awnings. Be sure to have them use their best uv resistant thread.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat