Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2017, 19:10   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Whitlock / Lewmar Rotary drive Electromagnetic clutch

I have a whitlock (DU110) rotary autopilot. The clutch had suffered the indignity of submersion, and is now rusty and frankly unrtustworthy. Does anyone know where a replacement clutch can be had? a model # for clutch? I got a quote of 469.12 British Pounds from Whitlock steering / winch servicing UK.
That is close to $600 US. A way high price for asmall EM clutch. I have been trying to locate a suitable replacement but if anyone knows a model # that works...please let me know
Rowglide
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 07:25   #2

Re: Whitlock / Lewmar Rotary drive Electromagnetic clutch

An update...
I have had an ongoing conversation with the Whitlock guru, Cliff Mogridge and he suggested I examine the gear carrier, a plastic part, for cracks. Sure enough 3 very near invisible cracks but I can turn the carrier on the shaft. That is where the slipping comes from. Clutch is probably fine. Only 40 British pounds ($60.00) for that part if it is available. I feel much better now. I could actually fab one out of aluminum if I need to. All new bearings, grease, fully cleaned and replaced carrier will have me in around $150.00 AND I now have the experience of a full rebuild in the comfort of my home so if there is ever a problem in less convenient places I know how to go about effecting a repair!
Rowglide
Old 24-01-2017, 09:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Glad to hear you got it fixed . Is this a Mamba drive ? I have one of those and would like to carry the parts that break .

Regards John Tully
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 09:49   #4

Not mamba, but similar, looks like the same gear housing
but the mamba has a female receiver rather than a chain and sprocket.
Its worth looking at. Spares bought now beats spares unfindable later
Rowglide
Old 24-01-2017, 11:55   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well done! I've been into my Whitlock far enough to replace t he chain (which had stretched a bit) in my attempts to reduce backlash in the gearing, but was intimidated somewhat by going further into the structure. Cliff had mentioned that it was a bit tricky; did you find it so? I suspect that I too have cracks in those plastic gears.

They are extremely robust drives, and I'm kina fond of ours, but the backlash leads to incessant hunting under some conditions. I'd like to cure it!

Jim
Old 24-01-2017, 13:06   #6

Hi Jim
My Whitlock is a rotary (sprocket output). It required a bit of thought to dismantle though nothing really tricky. Only place that requires a bit extra care is when pressing the bearing out of the helical gear case. The helical gear case is plastic. Only tool needed is a small hydraulic press (Or a really large bench vice), and a bunch of allen keys both imperial and metric sizes. A pile of paper towel to remove the old grease.
Rowglide
Old 24-01-2017, 13:20   #7

Hi Jim
Which model do you have?
My Whitlock is a rotary (sprocket output). It required a bit of thought to dismantle though nothing really tricky. Only place that requires a bit extra care is when pressing the bearing out of the helical gear case. The helical gear case is plastic. Only tool needed is a small hydraulic press (Or a really large bench vice), and a bunch of allen keys both imperial and metric sizes. A pile of paper towel to remove the old grease. Take pictures as it comes apart so you can reverse them for assembly.
Rowglide
Old 24-01-2017, 13:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well done! I've been into my Whitlock far enough to replace t he chain (which had stretched a bit) in my attempts to reduce backlash in the gearing, but was intimidated somewhat by going further into the structure. Cliff had mentioned that it was a bit tricky; did you find it so? I suspect that I too have cracks in those plastic gears.

They are extremely robust drives, and I'm kina fond of ours, but the backlash leads to incessant hunting under some conditions. I'd like to cure it!

Jim
I'm kind of fond of mine as well , yes if you have to much slack in the chain they will hunt a bit . What I really like is that with a rack and pinion set up there is no pressure on the Mamba at all .

Regards John Tully
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 07:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
I have had an ongoing conversation with the Whitlock guru, Cliff Mogridge and he suggested I examine the gear carrier, a plastic part, for cracks. (...) Only 40 British pounds ($60.00) for that part if it is available
Hallo from germany,
I have a simular problem with my lewmar integra rotary drive. The motor spinns, the clutch engages but the sproket doesn't turn.
I bought this unit as it is with the fault. As I opened it, there was no white plastic plate on the metal gear sprokets. I assume that this is the reason, why the outer shaft isn't rotating.
Can you tell me where to get this part? Or do you have other suggestions what to check?
It would also be nice, if someone could send me some pictures of the opened unit.
How could I remove the clutch and the plastic planetary gear out of the housing to replace them in case they are faulty?

I tried to contact Cliff Mogridge through the whitlocksteering contact form, but I didn't get a reply. Hope to find some help here.

Patrick
Marivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 04:45   #10

Boat: Endurance 37

hello from denmark

If you get in touch with Cliff, pleas let me know how
I have tried the last month without any luck

with best regards
Kastrup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, lewmar, rot