Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 22:00   #1

Boat: Skookum 47
White Ceiling Panels

Looking to replace some of the paneling. I don't have any great close ups, but hopefully these pictures can suffice. Not sure if there is a certain type of panel the was/is consistently used? Or is the panel just whatever the owner decided to use that was locally available? Can anyone steer me in the right direction of a supplier that would carry this particular panel or very close? Interior was originally built by the owner up in Port Townsend.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks!

SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 00:01   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: White Ceiling Panels

NICE looking boat. I know it may sound overly simple, but have you tried tracking down the original owner/builder? Especially as PT is a pretty small town, so that even if you can't find the original owner, odds are you can find someone there who knows a bit about the boat... and perhaps knows of the original owner.

Try; the Yard Office, The Shipwright's Co-op, The Wooden Boat School, The Foundry, & maybe Port Townsend Sails, or Brion Toss Rigging. Plus any of the other usual haunts. Perhaps even the Wooden Boat Foundation too.
That, & if there's any specialty or custom gear on the boat, it'll give you some leads too.

I'd offer up a guess on the panels, but the pics are a bit lacking in details for my eyes, anyway.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 00:11   #3

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

They look like a variant of these:-

Hygienic Ceiling Cladding l Plastic PVC Planks l Solid Ceiling Tiles l Hygienic Ceiling Joints

I am sure a search will give you the ones you require.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 00:27   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Our boat's panels are vynal coated ply as is used on the internal walls and ceilings of portable buildings. Cheap, water resistant and looks ok.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:52   #5

But they're not made of plastic. More of a wood or MDF. A few of the port lights leaked, and now some are a bit haggard looking. I'm trying to track down the original builder/owner in the meantime. Hopefully I'll have some luck!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:22   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We made our own out of marine plywood, a straight edge and a v-groove router bit. Very easy to do. Check our site in my signature. ... A post was done around September.

Matt

Edit: Here is a photo (the boat is a complete refit so please ignore the cushions... They are the old cockpit set)

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-02-2016, 11:26   #7

No worries Matt. You should have seen my first boat! OG cushions from 1967 got me to Mexico and back. They've seen things that should never again be spoken of.

Thing is, most of the paneling is fine, and the ceiling matches it, so I don't want to be changing things up. That was pretty cool what you did with the router though! Keep it going. Hopefully you guys are in the water soon.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:27   #8
cruiser

try expanded PVC sheet... google, there are plenty of sources
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 16:02   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
No worries Matt. You should have seen my first boat! OG cushions from 1967 got me to Mexico and back. They've seen things that should never again be spoken of.

Thing is, most of the paneling is fine, and the ceiling matches it, so I don't want to be changing things up. That was pretty cool what you did with the router though! Keep it going. Hopefully you guys are in the water soon.

No need to change anything. Just copy the pattern into a new sheet and replace any bad panels.

Matt
Old 01-02-2016, 18:09   #10

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
Looking to replace some of the paneling. I don't have any great close ups, but hopefully these pictures can suffice. Not sure if there is a certain type of panel the was/is consistently used? Or is the panel just whatever the owner decided to use that was locally available? Can anyone steer me in the right direction of a supplier that would carry this particular panel or very close? Interior was originally built by the owner up in Port Townsend.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Wait, is this the boat you went down to Mexico to refit? Or have I mistaken your for another poster? Regardless, that is certainly a NICE boat! Can't help you with the paneling though. Seems like wide wainscot paneling to me.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 23:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Wait, is this the boat you went down to Mexico to refit? Or have I mistaken your for another poster? Regardless, that is certainly a NICE boat! Can't help you with the paneling though. Seems like wide wainscot paneling to me.
Same boat. Finished one stage, onto the next. 23 days straight, 8 in a tyvek with full mask respirator, and lost 10 pounds! My wife said I should go work on the boat more often Trying to source things before my next venture south. I'll have to drop the mast and replace the standing rig as well. That will probably be one whole trip. I want to update the masthead lights to LED's, windex (freaking booby sat on it and broke it). I'll likely run into unforeseen issues to boot. Ha!

Matt, I may attempt your route (pun intended, oh!), but I'll search for the perfect match before going that way.
Old 01-02-2016, 23:45   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Wow! I just found some pictures in your gallery. This had always sounded like such an ambitious project that it made me wonder how you were actually going to accomplish it. I had my boat in San Diego for 6 months and drove down a week each month getting it ready to bring north. It was no small feat....or so I thought at the time. Looking at your project made me realize what a small feat mine was by comparison. Good on ya! Post more pics!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:47   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II

You can use fiberglass tub enclosure panels. They are inexpensive and will work perfectly. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:01   #14

Are those individual strips or sheet product? The traditional way would be strips of something light like port orford cedar etc. The only way to find out what yours are is to take one off.
Skookums were built by various builders, finishers and home done.... so hard to say. Whomever did your boat did a nice job.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:15   #15

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
You can use fiberglass tub enclosure panels. They are inexpensive and will work perfectly. Good luck and safe sailing.

I thought you were referring to the white panels in the photos. If you are referring to wood, of course, this would not apply. Best, Rognvald

Tags
panels