Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2013, 19:01   #16

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Down under, you may have a good point there. I plan on chain only on starboard side and 5/8 rode only on the port side. (unless thats a dumb idea) Thats 650 pounds more or less plus the anchor so thats around 740 pounds or so. Maxwell reccomends a max pull of 3 times the ground tackle weight. Thats a max pull of roughly 2200 pounds. I guess the RC12 may a better choice.
If I go with 100 feet of chain and 200 ft of rode the RC10 would work fine.
BUT I'm thinking about chain only to avoid chaffing and the rode only for the "lunch" anchor. (yea I learned that term today) Is this a crazy idea?
RC12

I personally prefer chain only on quality primary anchor if you have a descent durable winch. I am not a fan of a lunch hook, just don't see a need for it. Why do you need one. I want to know my vessel is staying put whenever I anchor partically if taking a trip ashore. Why bother
changing over anchors. If you were concerned about the durability of your winch you might consider a lighter one but why bother.

The advantage of a horizontal winch such as the HWC is that you can handle and have two anchorsset up with the rope capstan or second gypsy and will give you more drop for your chain.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 08:01   #17

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I'v been on CF long enough to not dare ask what a "good quality anchor" is so I'll leave that one alone. From the deck to the hull is 6 feet where the chain locker is so I think I'll be ok in that respect. Should the locker be water tight since there is a hole in the deck above it? I thought I would make it so and put a limber hole in the bottom with a valve so it sould be completly water tight if needed.
If I read it correctly the RC12 has a capstan that works independently of the chain gypsy. Is that right?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 08:17   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
I'v been on CF long enough to not dare ask what a "good quality anchor" is so I'll leave that one alone. From the deck to the hull is 6 feet where the chain locker is so I think I'll be ok in that respect. Should the locker be water tight since there is a hole in the deck above it? I thought I would make it so and put a limber hole in the bottom with a valve so it sould be completly water tight if needed.
If I read it correctly the RC12 has a capstan that works independently of the chain gypsy. Is that right?
I don't see a point in putting a valve on the limber hole. You want the chain locker to drain, and you want to be able to rinse the drain without having to move 100 meters of chain from atop your valve.

My chain locker has two scuppers, one to port and one to starboard. If one clogs up, as they sometimes do, the other is still on the job. I recommend such a setup.
Old 24-01-2013, 08:29   #19

Newby question. scuppers drain to the outside correct?? My locker is below the water line. I was going to drain it to the bilge or the grey water pump out. Bad idea??
Old 24-01-2013, 09:40   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
My locker is below the water line. I was going to drain it to the bilge or the grey water pump out.
Same here. I installed a valve at the very bottom so I can drain, or even hook up a hose for cleaning.

And with internal lockers like this one, it needs to be cleaned if it's going to sit unused for a while. The smell will drive you out if you don't. One of the reasons I installed a wash down system.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0187.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	53431  
Old 24-01-2013, 10:00   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

To give you a rough idea of scale, my boat (not that much bigger than yours), has a chainlocker I can stand up in. It's divided into two parts. The port side swallows 330 feet of 1/2" chain weighing about 800 pounds. The starboard side has 250 feet of nylon rode, a 10 meter chain leader, an entire FX55 fortress kedge anchor, and a collection of snubbers, and on passage, all of our fenders. Don't undersized your chain locker!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 10:03   #22

Thanks Delmarrey. How is your bitter end connected? Chapmans reccomends some sort of attachment with a quick way to disconnect it so the ground tackle can be let go in an emergency. Does anyone do that?
Old 24-01-2013, 10:05   #23

Thats a big locker!
Old 24-01-2013, 10:14   #24

Quote:
Thanks Delmarrey. How is your bitter end connected? Chapmans reccomends some sort of attachment with a quick way to disconnect it so the ground tackle can be let go in an emergency. Does anyone do that?
In the picture, just in front of the hatch is a padeye attached to the overhead, which has another padeye opposite on the deck. The bitter end is attached to that with a large SS carabiner.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0552.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	53433  
Old 24-01-2013, 10:18   #25

Yes, now I see it. Hope I'm not asking to many questions. I want to be able to defend my design when someone asks why I did it that way. Thanks again
Old 24-01-2013, 10:27   #26

I should have mentioned, I've installing a snap shackle in place of the carabiner so that it can be released under load if need be.
Old 24-01-2013, 13:32   #27

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
No the RC 12 does not have a rope gypsy. Need to look at the VW and VWC series.

Vertical Windlass Range
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 13:40   #28

Well, thats a deal breaker.
Old 24-01-2013, 20:30   #29

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I have a lighthouse. Sweet winch and if you have a 50 footer you can afford one. Thats the way I would go. Check out their website.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 22:17   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
No the RC 12 does not have a rope gypsy. Need to look at the VW and VWC series.

Vertical Windlass Range
That's absolutely 100% incorrect.
Rope/Chain Series

Tags
winch