Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 12:53   #16

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Which Fuel Filter

And low enough on the bulkhead, to where I can remove the filter element with out banging my hand, and allow me to pour diesel into the top if need be.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:31   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
And low enough on the bulkhead, to where I can remove the filter element with out banging my hand, and allow me to pour diesel into the top if need be.
Also install a priming bulb or small electric fuel pump...no need to pour diesel...very handy for maint and bleeding.

Can also use to boost fuel pressure a bit if you get a clogged filter at a bad time and get a few more minutes of run time.

I have a priming bulb just upstream of my Racor. Very easy install and very handy.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:03   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The dual Racors are a great choice. I have one for each engine. No spillage and the advantage with a turn of the handle of going to your second filter. I also have the vacuum meter and the water sensor with the filter. My engines came with an electric fuel pump so I did not need to buy an electric pump to prime them.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'

I too have an electric priming / filling pump, should it ever fail, I can still pour diesel into the top of the housing and remove the elements without spilling.
Old 12-04-2013, 14:51   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, someone has to present the other side!

We have used a pair of CAV primary filters with the usual three way valves for changeover for the past 10 years. The secondary filter is another CAV. Have not had any problems with them. Yes, one needs to drain them before disassembling, but it is easy enough to do. For me the big attraction is that replacement filters are available everywhere for about 6 dollars each. Racors are quite a lot more expensive, and often not available once out in the boonies.

I note that here in Australia many boats come with CAV filters from the builder... maybe it is a cultural thing!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-04-2013, 15:57   #21

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
If you can install the filter so it's a bit lower than the fuel tank, you won't need a priming pump, just a valve near the filter. Close the valve to change the cartridge, then open the valve slowly to refill the filter and prime the system.
Old 12-04-2013, 16:44   #22

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Please don't make a decision without considering the DAVCO fuel filter.
No, I don't have one, but there are significant advantages over the wildly popular ahem ones. Not least is the use of various elements not only proprietary ones.
DAVCO Technology, LLC (usual disclaimers)
Old 12-04-2013, 17:04   #23

Significant advantage? How can we measure advantage without any information outlining regional availability, where to purchase, price comparison (particularly filter element options?)

Charles
Nor'Sea 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 17:19   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I have had both of the above filter systems, both work well as far as filtering. I like the racor dual system better for the reasons all ready mentioned. I did have a problem years ago trying to get filters for either one of them in the far away places! Has not been a problem recently, seems like getting things to remote places has gotten a lot better recently!! But I still bite the bullet, and buy my filters by the case for any filters on my boat, engine, fuel, genny,water ect ! works for us and I never have to worry! and can help another cruiser if he needs a filter !! just my 2 cents
Old 12-04-2013, 17:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, someone has to present the other side!

We have used a pair of CAV primary filters with the usual three way valves for changeover for the past 10 years. The secondary filter is another CAV. Have not had any problems with them. Yes, one needs to drain them before disassembling, but it is easy enough to do. For me the big attraction is that replacement filters are available everywhere for about 6 dollars each. Racors are quite a lot more expensive, and often not available once out in the boonies.

I note that here in Australia many boats come with CAV filters from the builder... maybe it is a cultural thing!

Cheers,

Jim
One of the MOST important things anyone can do is a little research: what's available where you're going, although these days one can "almost" (notice I said almost) get anything almost (oh, no, not again!) anywhere.

Listen to Jim, he's right.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 00:23   #26

Boat: Moody 36 (1981)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
If you can install the filter so it's a bit lower than the fuel tank, you won't need a priming pump, just a valve near the filter. Close the valve to change the cartridge, then open the valve slowly to refill the filter and prime the system.
Unfortunately my tank is fitted beneath the companionway steps and goes all the way down to level with the engine bed. That's why I asked the question. I am worried about potential problems with the engine drawing fuel or bleeding if the level in the tank is low and hence below the level of the filter and the fuel lift pump.
Searanger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 00:25   #27

Quote:
I too have an electric priming / filling pump, should it ever fail, I can still pour diesel into the top of the housing and remove the elements without spilling.
What is the draw on the batteries for this. I am hoping to keep reliance on electricity down a bit to save running the engine more than required on longer passages and at anchor.
Old 15-04-2013, 00:27   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I have had both of the above filter systems, both work well as far as filtering. I like the racor dual system better for the reasons all ready mentioned. I did have a problem years ago trying to get filters for either one of them in the far away places! Has not been a problem recently, seems like getting things to remote places has gotten a lot better recently!! But I still bite the bullet, and buy my filters by the case for any filters on my boat, engine, fuel, genny,water ect ! works for us and I never have to worry! and can help another cruiser if he needs a filter !! just my 2 cents
people that think like me. Thanks.
Old 15-04-2013, 00:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Please don't make a decision without considering the DAVCO fuel filter.
No, I don't have one, but there are significant advantages over the wildly popular ahem ones. Not least is the use of various elements not only proprietary ones.
DAVCO Technology, LLC (usual disclaimers)
I've not heard of them. Perhaps they're not popular in the UK. I'll look into it. Thanks for the idea.
Old 15-04-2013, 01:06   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searanger50 View Post
What is the draw on the batteries for this. I am hoping to keep reliance on electricity down a bit to save running the engine more than required on longer passages and at anchor.
Wire the pump so its only running when the ignition on, with a bypass switch if you want to prime the system after a filter change.
As the pump is generally only running when the alternator is charging the current consumption is not a great factor but the pumps vary from 1 to 3 amps.

A hand bulb pump (like the outboard uses) works just as well for priming, but their is some doubt if they meet some marine codes when in the engine bay.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel