Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2013, 14:25   #1

Boat: Mangareva 1977 40feet
where to put my boat on the hard in central america ?

Hello everyone,

i am currently in Panama, atlantic side (san blas islands) and i am looking for a place to put my sailboat (38ft, ketch) on the hard.

i heard about shelter bay marina, but from what i saw, they are the only one here in Panama offering this service and thus, are pretty expensive.

so i was wondering about close countries (costa rica, columbia, etc..) that might have this facility.

(i am asking this because unfortunately, i got an osmosis pb on the bottom, and i got to take care of it ..)

Thanks ..
cedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:41   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: where to put my boat on the hard in central america ?

Shelter bay is not really that $$, considering. You might travel up to the Rio or go thru the ditch up to El Salvador. Hanging out at Shelter Bay is kinda nice with those options. The guys at Balboa Yacht Club would do a quickie if that would work.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:54   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Green Turtle Marina in Miramar is close to having their haulout facilities operational - you may want to contact them and see. Panamarina in Linton is still probably 6-12 months away from having theirs ready. Cartagena has a couple of yards that can haul your boat, but by the time you pay customs and immigration fees, it will probably be a wash with Shelter Bay. Balboa is on the other side of the canal - by the time you pay to go through the canal, Shelter Bay will definitely be cheaper.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 20:53   #4

I'm also in Panama and have been thinking about doing the same thing. Not only are our options few, but the climate is far from ideal (too humid even in the dry season). I would think that San Carlos, Mexico, would be dry enough and the prices are a lot better, too. Of course, I'm on the Pacific side and wouldn't need to transit the canal.
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 15:19   #5

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Puerto Cortez in Honduras or the Rio Dulce are the cheapest, if you don't mind the trip. Shelter Bay is $12/ft to haul out, and that is reasonable.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:40   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Always wondered why they don't charge by the hour like most every other service. We pay 1100 per haul includes winter storage and spring launch for 58 feet. We hit the well with all stays slack and the boat is out and on the jacks in less than an hour including bottom cleaning. (Muskegon Michigan). Same question for docks. we are all LED and use almost no power, however, our 50 amp cord costs us 150% of 30 amp. There are only two of us aboard. I am making a 30 amp adapter. Charges seldem reflect real cost for service.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America