Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26   #1

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39
Where to get composite materials for Ontario resident

Hi:

I am looking for a source of composite materials available in Ontario. So far I have found on line Plastic World in Toronto area, and Marine Outfitters in Kingston (formerly Pride Marine). Both seem deficient in what they stock.

I live very remotely, so in order of best to worse, I am looking for GTA store front because I expect to drive through over the holiday season, mail order, Belleville, Kingston, Ottawa storefront.

US Composites seem to have the best selection and prices, but I saw no sign of them doing business with Canada in their shipping info, and I wonder of the shipping/border logistics of chemicals.

Cheers,

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:40   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Where to get composite materials for Ontario resident

Composites are restricted for most exports outside the US. New generation of civilian and military aircrafts are built of composites, hence the restrictions.
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 13:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Composites are restricted for most exports outside the US. New generation of civilian and military aircrafts are built of composites, hence the restrictions.
Hi:

Sorry, maybe composites isn't the right term. I was referring to epoxy. polyester, fiberglass mat and cloth, and related supplies, not the high tech stuff.

Anyhow, I think I found what I am looking for, Noah's Marine in Toronto.

Cheers,

Boulter
Old 08-12-2012, 04:06   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Noahs Marine Boat Building Supplies & Composite Materials : Noahsmarine.com

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/

http://fibreglass.com/
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:14   #5

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Wicks Aircraft Supply. No problem with export - above info was rubbish, I've received shipments in Australia.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
Hi:

Sorry, maybe composites isn't the right term. I was referring to epoxy. polyester, fiberglass mat and cloth, and related supplies, not the high tech stuff.

Anyhow, I think I found what I am looking for, Noah's Marine in Toronto.

Cheers,

Boulter
In Toronto: Queensway Fibreglass (formerly Smithcraft, but once again run by the Smiths in some complex backstory) has carbon fibre and all manner of glass and epoxies. I was there on Thursday.

Johnson Plastics (Johnston Industrial Plastics) has a vast selection of acrylics and HDPE in all formats. Having said that, I have cut portlights from Plastic World's considerable range of lexan, acrylic, etc. and they are a very good resource with lots of stock.

JJ Downs has a vast array of fittings, valves, and rigid plastic pipe, as well as hoses and sheet plastics:

J.J. Downs Industrial Plastics Inc.

Need angle steel or aluminum? Metal Supermarkets. (METAL SUPERMARKETS - Buy Metal Online - Small Quantity Orders for Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Hot Rolled Steel, Cold Rolled Steel for Delivery or Local Pickup).

and finally, Pacific Fasteners (http://www.pacificfasteners.com/)has the cheapest silicon bronze screws and bolts I know of that doesn't involve a shipping fee for me. And I own only a bicycle and a cargo trailer. If it's more than 75 pounds, I generally need to rent a pickup or have it delivered.

You'll notice that precisely zero of these places have the word "marine" in their name. Noah's is fine, but if you want to keep buying the better sort of rum, immerse yourself in the materials science to understand the difference between HDPE and EPDM plastics (say), and GO INDUSTRIAL. I didn't even take shop in high school, but now I know what I need for refits and where to acquire the right materials at a fraction of "marine" prices.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:46   #7

Hi:

Thank you guys for the additional suggestions. I'll check them out.

Cheers

Boulter
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... immerse yourself in the materials science to understand the difference between HDPE and EPDM plastics ...
High-Density PolyEthylene is a rigid plastic.
Ethylene-Propylene-Diene Monomer is a flexible (synthetic) rubber.

They’re not generally interchangeable.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

My point was that if you are not usefully GordMay, you should generally familiarize yourself with the range of terms customary to the industrial materials world. I could have mentioned all the different gasket materials, some of which will be eaten away by ethanol additive, others not, but I thought I would give two four-letter acronyms as a start point. I use HDPE for water tanks and EPDM as gasketing between my steel pilothouse sidewall flange and the aluminum roof over it. Keeps the water out and the electricity in.

I'm a sailor who pays for his boats with graphic design. If you earned a dollar for every time I screw up PFD and PDF, you wouldn't have to work as hard as me!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ontario