Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 14:39   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Where the Heck Do you Keep Tools?

My wife thinks the oven is the perfect place for all the tools.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 14:53   #17
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I keep the handful of tools used 90% of the time split between some drawers at the nav station and an easy to access shelf, those I use 9% of the time in a soft tool bag in their own locker in the aft cabin and the rest buried up the front somewhere with the rest of the junk
I kind of do the same. Common used tools that do 90% of everyday jobs are in a box easy to get to. The rest are in the deep bottom hole storage location.
Old 04-03-2015, 15:24   #18

Boat: 44 footer

I split mine up in 20 inch tool boxes, the kind with two latches and a handle to carry.

Metric sockets and wrenches in one, SAE sockets and wrenches in the other. Short and deep well, with two sets of box wrenches and flares, with allen sockets and allen keys laid in the top lift out drawer with the sockets. I keep a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench in the most recent used box.

I put the sockets on spring clips, and cut them down to size so deep wells and shallow wells are on their own stick. Most of them are 6-8 inches or so long.

Then I have a soft bag that is about 16x12 that has all the ratchets and extensions, a few pairs of pliers, ball peen hammer, side cutters, adjustable wrench, screwdrivers, wire stripper, and multi-meter, feeler gauge, and a bronze drift, a few punches, cold chisel, and a set of picks and awls. I've got a few of the tiny loctite bottles, and a few standard thread pitch taps in there too. Small note pad, pen, sharpie, and a tape measure...

That way I can pull out one of the hard boxes, get what I need for 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch sockets and wrench set and put it in the soft bag based on how big of hardware the project has.

I've got the micrometers, dial calipers and such stored separate... and the wood working tools stored separate.

It works pretty well, but you've got to carve out room for the two tool boxes.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 15:33   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
I have a kind of workshop -- a passage cabin between salon and aft cabin, where my washer/dryer lives, with cabinets where I keep a lot of parts and supplies, with a pilot berth on top. That's a blessing, but what to do with the tools? I could keep a tool chest on top of the cabinet, but then what do I do with the pilot berth mattress?
We have a similar setup although it's bunks in the cabin. We made a custom plywood "lea cloth" to keep items stacked on the bunks secure. That idea may help out your berth storage if the berth isn't so high you can't easily reach into it.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 15:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have a large boat -- 54' on deck, with a decent sized engine room and multiple cabins. Yet -- I can't find a decent place to keep my tools.

I have a kind of workshop -- a passage cabin between salon and aft cabin, where my washer/dryer lives, with cabinets where I keep a lot of parts and supplies, with a pilot berth on top. That's a blessing, but what to do with the tools? I could keep a tool chest on top of the cabinet, but then what do I do with the pilot berth mattress?

I have different bags and cases of different kinds of tools -- an electrical bag, a plumbing bag, etc. But what I am most concerned about are the general tool bag, and the wrenches. I am sick of digging for the wrenches box, which doesn't fit anywhere easy to get at, and which is already missing a catch, and I'm sick of my tool bag where the tools just form an incoherent mass of metal to cut your fingers while you awkwardly grope for the tool you need. Bah! Time for change.

One owner of a boat like mine installed a Snap-On rolling chest in the engine room. That would be great -- luxury -- except that I can't do it -- I have a larger platform for my generator which does not leave room for that. There would be room for a considerable tool chest on the end of that platform -- but the generator exhaust goes through it in two places, blocking access. Another owner of a boat like mine installed pegboards in the engine room doors -- very convenient. But my engine room doors are on light cabinet-type hinges, and have soundproofing. I don't think it's a good idea to load them up. Anyway, how would you keep them from flying off the pegs in a seaway?

In despair, I hit on the idea of buying a metal tool chest, and keeping in -- in the heads. My after heads compartment is a large room, bigger than needed. I could put in a strap to restrain the chest against the engine room wall.

But a tool chest in the heads?! Seems kind of inelegant. To say the least. So I'm still tearing my hair out.

Maybe some of you guys could share what you do? Maybe give me and probably dozens others some ideas.
get large very thick plastic bags with closures
I use.. smaller cheap plastic boxes with lids that slide under the salon berths. Power tools go in the bags.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 15:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
Recently bought, and like:

Welcome Aboard Backpack Tool Bag
No good -cant seein depths of bag- will eventually force you to dump all out
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 15:50   #22
cruiser

The hand tools, power tools, fuel filtration system and ice maker are all located in the workshop under the work bench. Very handy.

We also have a crewman's bunk located in the shop, which we use to store additional tools and supplies in clear plastic storage bins held in place by the lee cloths.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 16:14   #23

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

Ditto on the "non metal" tool chest (except maybe on a much larger metal vessel).

My #1 "go to" bag is a Craftsman soft tool bag kept under a settee. Stored next to it are most of my small spare parts (electrical fasteners, S.S. bolts/screws, etc.) kept in semi-transparent, plastic tackle boxes. Storage areas underneath the settee and behind the seat-back) are devoted to often used tools and supplies.

Under the nav station (in close proximity to the engine) are things like spare fuel & oil filters, filter wrenches, and larger containers for storing bulkier spare items (small coils of Seatalk cable, impellers, etc.).

I'm envious of the extra storage the original poster has. My primary motivation for upsizing to a larger boat (whenever this might occur) would be for the extra utility space- as opposed to living space.
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 16:30   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post

I put the sockets on spring clips, and cut them down to size so deep wells and shallow wells are on their own stick. Most of them are 6-8 inches or so long.
Took me a long time to find heavy canvas toolbags with good zippers - most bags today are crap. They are about 5inX10in and have a belt. You can wear them as a belt or extend them out enough to shoulder hang them. They have two main zippered compartments and two outer pockets each. One bag has "turning" stuff - pliers in one side, 1/4 & 3/8 drive sockets in the other side. Sockets on cut down rails as you describe.

The other bag has Philips and straight blades on one side, drills, screw gun tips on the other side.

I also have tupperware boxes. One for rigging work, one for electrical work, one for engine work - these store some specialty tools but also the basic spares, one with sealants and lubes in it and one that holds the toolbelts when not in use. Not having a "big" boat the boxes store under a salon lazarette.

Metal boxes didn't last long until they rusted. Plastic boxes that don't seal allow tools to rust. I did get a West Marine box with an o-ring in the lid and it is pretty good. It holds a hammer, couple of hole saws, coping saw, chisels and punches.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 16:40   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You can buy plastic "ammo boxes", almost identical to the military boxes, except plastic of course. Just as waterproof as the military ones.
I plan on putting taps and dies, plus micrometers and other tools that rust very easily in these, haven't done it yet, but that's the plan anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 16:49   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
No good -cant seein depths of bag- will eventually force you to dump all out
Go look at the link. This bag unzips in individual panels, not unlike pages of a book.
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 16:51   #27

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Since I have no good place to put toolboxes I use Klein canvas bags from amazon. Every tool type has its own bag; I tried separating them out by activity but it seems that every project involves all the different activities. Plumping or electrical is rarely just plumbing or electrical.

We periodically wash the Klein bags and then use Concrobium on them followed by a zipper treatment. Keeps them from getting mildew and so far they don't have any rust.

I then condensed and condensed. I remove all tools that I do not use on a regular basis and switch over to tools that perform multiple jobs, like the Fein tool.

I might also add that I started out with different sizes of the same tools. I have condensed those too - if I have not used them in a year they go in the donate bin.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 16:56   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
No metal: fabric tool bags or plastic chests.
My Go-To bag would reside somewhere convenient. The less used tools would reside under a settee usually.
Your go to bag should fit on the floor of any head or etc. Hard to believe a 50 ft boat doesn't have some spaces......?
I found a nice soft bag with a lot of places to slide pliars and screwdrivers etc invaluable. Just grab and go where you are working.
Agree totally on the soft bags. Keep an oily rag inside & can of anti-rust, anti-moisture spray. Home Depot now carries a large selection of bags. Maybe also at Harbor Freight. Our boat is 58' and I have no great place for tools either.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 17:26   #29

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

I tried canvas tool bags. They pack down well, but it seemed that I could never find what I needed, the bags would get wet/damp, and the tools would then rust. I really try to keep my tools rust free. So far, the following is working. For storage, I use waterproof latching cases. Pelican cases are good, but I found and really like these from Nanuk This size seems to work for me, allowing me to store about the right assortment in a case. Not too heavy even when full of sockets / wrenches, etc. I find it easy to root around in the open case to find a tool. The corners are round and the plastic seems to not scratch/mar what they are sitting on. The latches are easy to open, unlike some Pelican cases. I have one with general tools, another with a full set of 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets and various styles of open/box end wrenches, another with electrical, another with my battery drill and impact driver including charger and a full assortment drills etc. I'm still working on the combinations of which tools go where, but these cases let me store the less used tools in the laz or even up forward near the chain locker (damp areas) without worrying about rust. Also, once or twice a year I wipe down tools with TC-11. I'm sure there are other products that also work well, but I've been using TC-11 for years on all kinds of things, and it's never let me down. Not waxy, and that's important.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 17:31   #30

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I don't know where you could possibly find room for tools on a boat that small.

Anyway. What I was gravitating to before we sold the Gem was a bag with the tools I actually used. I had racks of sockets and took them out to use one deep well for this chore and two of the others for that chore. I had all these racks out. Ack! And the screwdrivers were many when I used two almost all the time.

So what I did was get a small plastic tool box for cheap. When I did a chore I put the tools used in that box. It wasn't long before it was pretty much all I needed for most things. Electric is different though so if that was the chore it's little bag was an add-on to the other. Ditto plumbing or rigging.

One must sometimes go deep diving for "that" tool but I sure like it.

It took me a long time to figure out on the boat but dang if I hadn't been doing it at home for an eternity. I have a tool box on my bench at all times. It has most all the normal tools I use. Other drawers have power, saws, giant clamps.......you know, other stuff.

The bags were from WalMart school supplies after school started = $1.00. Don't last too long but so what when they get stained, oil soaked or worse salt wet.