Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 14:43   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
What's Wind Got to do With It?

I spent a few hours today on my deck in a slip at a dock with a typical task of sealing and bedding. I had a rain leak at a gate brace that needed some fiberglassing in the balsa core at a small point; a few cosmetic spider cracks and rebedding of a stanchion plate and a couple of portight gasket seals. 'a bit of grinding, tape, resin, matt, sealant... you wouldn't think much of it, but I was overwhelmed.

The temperature was in the seventies (*F) and the sky was bright and clear, but the wind was blowing 20 to 25 mph.

I usually work casually and calmly with such a task, but my trash bag was spinning in the wind, my blue tape was fluttering, my simplest actions were always a fight and I didn't have enough hands!

I finished with a crappy job. I'll likely still have some leaks in the two portlights I worked with and my fiberglass is going to be viewed tomorrow with cosmetic problems that will require more sanding and fairing than I should need to deal with.

I can deal with the wind when sailing, but faced with a little deck work and the wind totally beats me up!

I'm just complaining here. I guess there's no great enlightenment out there!

Tags
wind