Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2010, 10:38   #1

Boat: Columbia 36
What's the Best Way to Protect Keel Bolts ?

With the rainy season I've noticed some water in the bilge and a little rust forming on the bolts. Obviously this is not good. I've cleaned off the rust but what should I do to keep this from happening again. I'm thinking about melting some wax and coating them.

Is there a better solution?
Larsdelmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 10:48   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I bet fluid film would be good.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 10:58   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
The previous owner has sprayed Waxylon a car body underseal on our some years ago. Whilst it doesn't look very attractive its working well. Moodys used a gelcoat flowcoat originally.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 11:02   #4

Boat: Pearson 281
Try Lanocote...
Not my favorite anti-sieze but should be quite useful for what you are talking about.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 13:37   #5

Ohetr tahn da sky wrehe's all taht wtear cnomig form? Es et nroaml taht atfer a rian ta hvae ae hlaf icnh a wtaer en da bgidle? Da msat be setpped on da dcek, mbaye sulhod I sael da santtoins? I cehkced da ckocs an hsoe calpms, tehy aapepr a be fnie. Colud stetnig en da btotom csuae porebms?

I dno't lkie wtaer dwon tehre..
Old 18-12-2010, 13:51   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsdelmar View Post
Ohetr tahn da sky wrehe's all taht wtear cnomig form? Es et nroaml taht atfer a rian ta hvae ae hlaf icnh a wtaer en da bgidle? Da msat be setpped on da dcek, mbaye sulhod I sael da santtoins? I cehkced da ckocs an hsoe calpms, tehy aapepr a be fnie. Colud stetnig en da btotom csuae porebms?

Yeah, it's best to keep'm dry if they are a ferrous metal. Check out you deck fittings and hull to deck joint.
Old 18-12-2010, 14:16   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
With the rainy season I've noticed some water in the bilge and a little rust forming on the bolts. Obviously this is not good. I've cleaned off the rust but what should I do to keep this from happening again. I'm thinking about melting some wax and coating them.

Is there a better solution?
petroleum jelly
Old 18-12-2010, 15:32   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I am not gonna touch that line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 16:57   #9

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Assuming they are stainless bolts, the WORST thing you can do is seal them. If SS is deprived of oxygen in water, it will quickly crevice corrode, even in a humid environment, and since no seal is both permanent and totally effective at eliminating all water, sealing usually leads to worse problems than it solves regardless of what you try. It is "stainless", not "rustproof".
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 07:42   #10

Boat: Bristol 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Assuming they are stainless bolts, the WORST thing you can do is seal them. If SS is deprived of oxygen in water, it will quickly crevice corrode, even in a humid environment, and since no seal is both permanent and totally effective at eliminating all water, sealing usually leads to worse problems than it solves regardless of what you try. It is "stainless", not "rustproof".
In my opinion you are making very gross generalizations. Crevice corrosion is caused by acids in water breaking down the passivated protective oxide layer on the surface of the metal when the metal is in an oxygen-poor condition. Sea water is more prone to attacking that oxide layer because of the clorides in seawater, fresh water far less; however acid rain can cause the same effect as seawater. That said, there are many alloys of "stainless steel" some far more suited for underwater use than others. Also, the shape and machining and surface smoothness of the metal will influence its ability to deny crevice corrosion. Finally for you to say stainless steel will "quickly crevice corrode" is simply not accurate and very misleading.

To the OP's original question, I would use Lanocote as well.
Old 20-12-2010, 17:11   #11

Thanks everyone, it just goes to show there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Being new to boat maintenance it's nice getting different ideas. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I begin to go through and learn the systems on board.
Old 20-12-2010, 17:51   #12

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
In my opinion you are making very gross generalizations. Crevice corrosion is caused by acids in water breaking down the passivated protective oxide layer on the surface of the metal when the metal is in an oxygen-poor condition. Sea water is more prone to attacking that oxide layer because of the clorides in seawater, fresh water far less; however acid rain can cause the same effect as seawater. That said, there are many alloys of "stainless steel" some far more suited for underwater use than others. Also, the shape and machining and surface smoothness of the metal will influence its ability to deny crevice corrosion. Finally for you to say stainless steel will "quickly crevice corrode" is simply not accurate and very misleading.

To the OP's original question, I would use Lanocote as well.
It is the oxygen which renews the oxide layer protecting the steel; without it, you lose all protection. This isn't a generalization; it is a fact as is the fact the steel will corrode in the absence of air. These are fundamental
truths learned both theoretically and by experience as a chemical engineer for over 30 years.
Your boat, your rules but please don't imply I am misleading anyone.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 12:56   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Lars-
Assuming you want to seal them, you can place a paper cup around each one, with the bottom cut out. Then pour in beeswax to surround and seal.

Beeswax is cheap, easily removed for inspections, won't make a mess or migrate. In the US, typically $3 buys a good amount as a "toilet bowl gasket", the big donut-shaped wax ring used to seal under toilet bowls. Much cheaper than the higher grades used in candle-making and such.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 13:39   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:

Can you say that again after the Schnapps has worn off please.....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 11:27   #15

Re: What's the Best Way to Protect Keel Bolts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Lars-
Assuming you want to seal them, you can place a paper cup around each one, with the bottom cut out. Then pour in beeswax to surround and seal.

Beeswax is cheap, easily removed for inspections, won't make a mess or migrate. In the US, typically $3 buys a good amount as a "toilet bowl gasket", the big donut-shaped wax ring used to seal under toilet bowls. Much cheaper than the higher grades used in candle-making and such.
That is a neat idea I can see many ways this could be modified to use any number of inert (relatively) materials englobing the bolts to protect them. I'll definately look into this whenit's my turn.
maestrowilldo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel bolts