Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2008, 15:37   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
What's on Your Bottom

Hello all:

I have had Micron CSC on my boat for the last year. I only cleaned the bottom once in a year and when I hauled it looked pretty good. I kept the boat on Vancouver Island. I am now on the hard in Astoria OR and am preparing to repaint the bottom in preperation for our upcomming trip to Mexico. Can anyone reccommend a good paint for the warmer climates?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 15:44   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The heavier the paint bucket the more copper in the mix and that's what works in the warmer climates!

BTW- No Copper (Bottom Paint) in California?
Old 29-02-2008, 16:00   #3

Don't know if that has come into effect for the Grating State of Kalifornia. Good thing the boat is in Oregon. I might even copper sheath it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 29-02-2008, 19:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Actually there is a non-copper based bottom paint that is legal in California ...but is crap. The good thing is, the divers will forever be employed.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 20:20   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The heavier the paint bucket the more copper in the mix and that's what works in the warmer climates!

BTW- No Copper (Bottom Paint) in California?
1.- Copper content is not necessarily a determining factor in whether or not an anti fouling paint works well in a particular region or not.

2.- Nothing against you, but the article you have linked to is so full of misrepresentations, omissions and unchecked "facts" that it is hard to take seriously. The author clearly has little interest in, or knowledge of, the realities of the copper-loading issue in California.

Here's the quick and dirty:
The USEPA (not some group of nefarious "environmentalists" the author refers to) has mandated that California reduce the copper loading in its coastal waterways to meet federal standards. In the Shelter Island Yacht Basin in San Diego for instance, this means a reduction of 75%. To achieve this, all boats berthed in SIYB would have to be painted with something other than a cuprous oxide-based anti fouling. Even if all in-water hull cleaning activities were banned.

But here's the really scary part; for at least a decade it has been assumed that SIYB was the most impaired body of water in the state. But a study done last year shows that Newport Harbor has even higher levels of cuprous oxide. The handwriting is on the wall and everybody better get used to it; copper-based paints are going to go the way of tin-based paints. All the major manufacturers have non-toxic coatings developed and ready to market. Ten years from now the paint aisle at West Marine will look very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Actually there is a non-copper based bottom paint that is legal in California ...but is crap. The good thing is, the divers will forever be employed.
Actually, there are any number of anti foulings currently available that have no copper. But you are right, they are generally pretty crappy.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 23:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
1.- Copper content is not necessarily a determining factor in whether or not an anti fouling paint works well in a particular region or not.
Yes I totaly agree.
I can't comment on that article, apart from it sounded a little more like a rant to to me.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 00:07   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
... All the major manufacturers have non-toxic coatings developed and ready to market..
I might be old school and quite possibly naive but I thought that any bottom paint would have to be toxic to work. The early generation non stick silicons proved useless - so what is next?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I might be old school and quite possibly naive but I thought that any bottom paint would have to be toxic to work. The early generation non stick silicons proved useless - so what is next?
The silicon non toxic antifouls such as Intersleek are in fact very very effective and are widely used. I have been involved with many boats antifouled with it, including in tropical waters.

But is of little use for pleasure sailboats though as they cannot sail fast enough for it to be self cleaning - the boat also needs to operate regularly which also makes it not suitable for many pleasure vessels.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:18   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I had the yard put Interlux Micron 66 on the boat. It's been in the water here in the Caribbean since November 1st and is clean as a whistle--no slime, no barnacles, no nothing.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:35   #10

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
This is not a new issue. When I lived on Brigantine Island in Jersey, there was a very small cove that was accessed through a narrow channel. It was an excellent clam bed. A developer wanted to buy up the property around it and install a dockominium. The locals went crazy and public hearing were held. Many experts from the surrounding universities testified that having a marina there would most definately foul the shellfish there. After a long battle, the locals won. That was in 1977. The cove is still undeveloped today. A good thing, I think.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:01   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
There are many non-toxic anti fouling technologies being developed or currently marketed. Among them are foul release coatings that are too slick for fouling organisims to readily adhere to. Another are photoreactive paints that, when exposed to sunlight, develop a layer of hydrogen peroxide that fouling organisims don't like. There are others as well.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I had the yard put Interlux Micron 66 on the boat. It's been in the water here in the Caribbean since November 1st and is clean as a whistle--no slime, no barnacles, no nothing.
Thanks Hud. I'll look into that. I am reading the Practical sailor review and the Micron CSC is rated as good in the warmer climates of Florida.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 01-03-2008, 14:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have heard some very positive comments on CSC66

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 15:07   #14

We have used Micron Extra (which I think, but am not sure of, is supposed to be better than CSC in that it contains extra toxins) a few times but have found the local fully ablative Altex Coatings Ltd offering (currently Altex No5) to be considerably superior, at least in our temperate waters and for our critters.

Not alot of help to the original poster though as I think Altex is only available in NZ and Australia????
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 15:40   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post

But is of little use for pleasure sailboats though as they cannot sail fast enough for it to be self cleaning - the boat also needs to operate regularly which also makes it not suitable for many pleasure vessels.
Thanks - now I understand this product better and this is why I appreciate this forum and everyone who takes time to share their experience, knowledge and ideas.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote