Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-09-2014, 16:45   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: What would you do to this hatch hole?

Another tribute to the sealing power of sillycone. You can probably slip in a new core without messing with the deck. Clean out the rotted core as best you can. Cut pieces of core material, plywood would probably be easiest to work with, slather them with thickened epoxy and insert into the void between the FRP skins, trim as necessary, fill the exposed edges with more thickened epoxy and reinstall the hatch using LifeCaulk, 4200, butyl, anything but sillycone.. It's not heart surgery so you don't have to remove and/or fill every last bit of rotted core. As long as you can fit replacement core into a majority of the rotted area, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Old 01-09-2014, 16:49   #17

Boat: Aloha 34

I have scraped back to pretty good wood, a bit damp in spots but not bad. I just used a pipet to squirt acetone into the area hoping that might help it dry out a bit more.

Say I wait an hour or two and then squirt penetrating epoxy into the edges, tarp it up for the night and go home...when I come back will my thickened epoxy be able to stick to the penetrating epoxy soaked wood, or will some kind of blush prevent a good bond?

Old 01-09-2014, 16:55   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
I drilled into the deck 5.5 inches away from the edge on the bad (aft) side and it was still wet, but the wood was a nice light tan color, not rotted brown/black like around the hatch. 7.5 inches away from the hatch its bone dry.

Maybe I should reconsider cutting it all away, and just scrape out the wet core 5.5-6 inches back, fill it with thickened epoxy, and push some coosa board in there like Minaret was saying. I'm glad to know theres dry wood not too far away.

You just need a longer chisel.

I often stick grit to putty knives or stir sticks or whatever to sand both skins after removing wet core and drying. Then Coosa replacement core with G10 strips around the edge to tap the hatch screws into. Permanent fix.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 17:02   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Do you have to fix it in a day?? I'd keep squirting in acetone once a day for a couple of days then give it another day to dry as much as possible. Would not put any epoxy in of any kind till you were ready to fill the void. Epoxy you squirt in prior could pool in weird places restricting the ability to insert filler core after it has set. There is no need to bond to the existing core. The cabin top will be plenty stiff just by putting new core in. The strength of the deck is from compression and tension of the upper and lower layers of glass. The core is just to keep the FRP skins in place relative to each other and to resist compression when walked on.
Old 01-09-2014, 17:03   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I would enlarge hole and install larger hatch if possible...if that eliminates the rotted edge material.
That was my first thought as well.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 17:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Do you have to fix it in a day?? I'd keep squirting in acetone once a day for a couple of days then give it another day to dry as much as possible. Would not put any epoxy in of any kind till you were ready to fill the void. Epoxy you squirt in prior could pool in weird places restricting the ability to insert filler core after it has set. There is no need to bond to the existing core. The cabin top will be plenty stiff just by putting new core in. The strength of the deck is from compression and tension of the upper and lower layers of glass. The core is just to keep the FRP skins in place relative to each other and to resist compression when walked on.
I guess I could wait a bit, just nervous that my tarp wont be adequate to keep all the rain out while I'm away. Maybe I just need more tarps!
Old 01-09-2014, 17:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
That was my first thought as well.
Yea a bigger hatch might work, its 10 inches square now. I'd need it be be at least 18 inches square to get to the good wood though. Might look odd with such a large hatch right near the companionway, but it could save me some trouble. Probably cost more though.
Old 02-09-2014, 18:10   #23

Re: What Would you do to this Hatch Hole?

Day 2 update: I went back to the boat today after work and the tarp kept it dry! Granted I dont think it actually rained...

The wood looked nice and dry. I scraped back a little further to see if I could find anymore damp balsa and I couldnt! Great! With the wood dry it was alot easier to clean out a nice even area that some G10 will be able to slide into. I used an oscillating tool and a flathead screwdriver/hammer to cut/chisel it out.

Minaret recommended that I could use some plastic sheet rubbed out with butyl tape to ease my leaky tarp fears, so I'll probably try that before any forecasted to keep it nice till I can seal this all up when my G10 ships.

After seeing the work area today I'm optimistic that it'll be stronger than ever when I'm done with the repair. This is in stark contrast to my nightmarish visions of vast swaths of rotted core I was having when I was first opening it up.
Old 02-09-2014, 18:32   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I'm very happy that you have found a good workable solution to your problem. I am sure you are sleeping much better at night knowing that you will have a good repair.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 19:43   #25

I would tap and use a meter to find the edge of the wet core. Then route the fiberglass (top layers only) so you can peel off the glass without cracking. If the size gets to big get a yard to help some. Once the glass is off replace the core file with epoxy then put the glass back. Then fill the cut and sand smooth. This is a big job but I have seen large section replaced so you could see. Send pictures once you fix it...

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Old 03-09-2014, 01:22   #26
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
Day 2 update: I went back to the boat today after work and the tarp kept it dry! Granted I dont think it actually rained...

The wood looked nice and dry. I scraped back a little further to see if I could find anymore damp balsa and I couldnt! Great! With the wood dry it was alot easier to clean out a nice even area that some G10 will be able to slide into. I used an oscillating tool and a flathead screwdriver/hammer to cut/chisel it out.

Minaret recommended that I could use some plastic sheet rubbed out with butyl tape to ease my leaky tarp fears, so I'll probably try that before any forecasted to keep it nice till I can seal this all up when my G10 ships.

After seeing the work area today I'm optimistic that it'll be stronger than ever when I'm done with the repair. This is in stark contrast to my nightmarish visions of vast swaths of rotted core I was having when I was first opening it up.

Nice. Persistence wins the day in the end. Just remember G10 is a bitch to cut, insert it a hair too far and fill flush. That way you don't have to grind flush. And when you tap in the screws, go up a size on the pilot hole and then actually tap it out, or you will break screws in the G10. Makes the whole thing much stiffer and totally waterproof though. It's the top shelf solution. Coosa is much easier to work with and almost as good though. In trials they submerged it in sea water and in two years it absorbed less than .01% of it's weight in water. It won't rot, ever. Just not as strong, and not anywhere near as good for tapping screws into.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:43   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ya know, minaret,

You know so d--n much, it's going to be a shame for the rest of us when you cast off the docklines, but I'm sure glad you're around.

Thanks for all the help to so many of us.

Ann
Old 03-09-2014, 01:55   #28
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ya know, minaret,

You know so d--n much, it's going to be a shame for the rest of us when you cast off the docklines, but I'm sure glad you're around.

Thanks for all the help to so many of us.

Ann

It's just boat stuff. You know I really, really like boats. It's you guys who have the actual cruising long term all figured out. It takes a village...

Tags
hatch

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: