Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 18:00   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
What Worked

After my last cruise I saw some flaws that detracted from the experience. Here is what was changed and worked. I out milltech ais reciever and garmin 4208 with hd radar. Ais is awesome. 4207 garmin very happy. The antenna connection was directly over the engine this failed looks like a heat issue. It was relocated and has been fine since. Ditched the inflatable and built a chameleon nesting dink. Stores great rows awesome. Sometimes I thought that's a long Rowe but it was a good work out and not so bad.outweighs the loading the out board onto dink. Put ram mic so VHF is in cockpit brilliant. Much better when crossing shipping lanes especially with the ais. Commercial guys seemed to really appreciate my calling them by name and giving them a heads up on my intentions.
So far the radar has only been brought on briefly. Although i was on station fir 30 hours I anchored still alert and capable.
I upgraded the chain to 3/8. The added weight changes everything when anchoring. Where the poorly led hawser was not an issue with 5/16" the 3/8 is hard. The lead coming off the windless requires managment meaning some grip to peel it off and feed it to the hawsepipe. I no longer can hand feed out the chain. It had to be eased through the gypsey. The old Bruce bought in well everywhere again. Replacing the chain and missing the consequence was a mistake. Next job is to place the hawser a little mire tword 10 o'clock so the chain had a full bite ariund the gypsie. Recap ais plugged into chartplotter big thumb hard nesting dink big thumb anchor chain upgrade near took off big thumb.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 19:05   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: What Worked

Just to be clear: Are you saying that 3/8 chain from 5/16 was an upgrade but didn't fit your hawse pipe and gypsy? What is the cure for that?
Was the 3/8 you bought BBB or Proof Coil or High Test?
kind regards,
Old 24-07-2011, 19:22   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have old style ideal windless think capstan. The chain leads off with only about 1/4 at best of the the gypsy engaged . This was not a problem for the 5/16 . The 5/16 I could also manually pull as well. If the hawsepipe were further fwd the 3/8 would ride further around the gypsy. As it is now I have to lead it around and feed it into the hawsepipe. Chain is 3/8 High test and sets well in the teeth. It's a bad set up that worked okay with lighter chain.I am quite surprised at the operating difference the chain weight made.with 5/16 I could spool it out by hand. The 3/8 goes down with the windless and my hands stand clear lest I have skin peeled off Hope that clarified. Same bruce anchor that has always set. Still grabbing but the weight of that chain is noticable
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote