Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2017, 04:51   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Re: What type of hoses to use for water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defeverboat View Post
All of my hoses clear reforce with hose clamps. That's for hot and cold water. No leaks. Pex could deteriorate with UV light Had one to almost sink my boat after a months use
PEX can't sink your boat if it is ONLY used for your fresh water that water is already in your boat in the water tanks. PEX Should never be used for raw/sea water.
Rowglide
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 06:02   #17

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...-plumbing.html

Despite my tendancy to want to smack whinny crybaby liberal minded humans, here's a quick read that supports the leaching chemicals argument.
Of course plastics leach chemicals into your food and water. Anyone with more than a 3rd grade education knows that. The air you breath is dumping WAY more chemicals into your body. The chemicals to clean your clothes stay in your clothes and are then absorbed by your skin. No one gets out of here alive, have some fun and worry about not sinking and staying on the boat.

I have copper in my home and my daughters home. As I remodel both homes I continue to install and run new copper. When I remodel friends homes I install copper. Copper has been used for thousands of years to transport water.....plastics for only....40??
But plumbing my boat with copper ain't gonna happen and Pex is used in nearly all our new homes and remodels and won't split and burst if it freezes. It's a great product for now.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 16:45   #18

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...-plumbing.html

Despite my tendancy to want to smack whinny crybaby liberal minded humans, here's a quick read that supports the leaching chemicals argument.
Of course plastics leach chemicals into your food and water. Anyone with more than a 3rd grade education knows that. The air you breath is dumping WAY more chemicals into your body. The chemicals to clean your clothes stay in your clothes and are then absorbed by your skin. No one gets out of here alive, have some fun and worry about not sinking and staying on the boat.

I have copper in my home and my daughters home. As I remodel both homes I continue to install and run new copper. When I remodel friends homes I install copper. Copper has been used for thousands of years to transport water.....plastics for only....40??
But plumbing my boat with copper ain't gonna happen and Pex is used in nearly all our new homes and remodels and won't split and burst if it freezes. It's a great product for now.
Hmm,I believe lead was used for piping for,perhaps, over a thousand years;therefore ...?
Old 17-06-2017, 17:06   #19

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

Hi......maybe this may not help as I am in Australia......there are hoses very widely available here certified for potable water.......every hardware store carries them......and every camping/caravan/mobile home supplier.....supplies taint free water and uses standard hose garden hose fittings.......perhaps check local equivalent.........
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 17:16   #20

I use lead piping for everything, I do make sure I keep my runs as low as possible, I have an incredibly stiff vessel
jonnypaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 07:23   #21

Boat: Stevens 47

I just re plumbed my boat with pex. It's great stuff for potable water. It is easy to use and inexpensive, especially if you go online to buy the fittings. The worse thing I can say about pex is that it is hard to get the crimpers into tight spots. I had to pre assemble some components (the piping under cabinets, for example) before installing it. You can get around the crimping problem with push on fittings, but the are vastly more expensive. I used the push ons a few times when there were no other choice.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 16:52   #22

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
Hmm,I believe lead was used for piping for,perhaps, over a thousand years;therefore ...?
Thanks for your reply. You are absolutely correct, and they eventually figured out something was wrong. They didn't know why, only that it had dire consequences. They've unearthed lead, clay, stone and copper water systems from before the Roman Empire. Some are still in use today. Mostly the stone ones.
Everything we use leaches something into our food, water and air we breathe. 1st World countries still dump raw sewage and factory waste into our rivers and streams. The diesel fuel and oil we end up elbow deep in while we repair our boats is not good for us. The bottom paints we use to keep barnacles and slime off our boats is toxic to us and the marine environment we sail through.
Worrying about plastic piping on your boat leaching chemicals into your water is a low priority.
The milions of homes we install that plastic piping in is a concern though. We piped entire cities with lead water lines......just like we did thousands of years ago. You'd think we'd learn. Forget your past and you're doomed to repeat it.
I've built hundreds and hundreds of homes in the last 36 years and I've seen many new and wonderful sytems come and go. Copper seems to have stood the test of time, as long as you don't use lead solder to join the pipes.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 16:58   #23

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Copper tubing is still a viable alternative and was used in several of my previous boats. Pretty simple and easy to work with.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water