Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 16:39   #1

Boat: It’s old
What Size External Bronze Chainplates?

I have a LeComte Medalist 33' Mk1, built in 1962, that has corroded internal chainplates of uncertain condition. Given the amount of work involved- trashing the interior, digging them out, fabricating replacements and reglassing 1 main shroud and 4 lowers (1 main was done by previous owner), I have reluctantly decided to install external bronze chainplates.

MEDALIST 33 MKI (LE COMTE) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

What size would be appropriate? Would 600mm (14 inches) be large enough?

Thank You
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 17:42   #2

Re: What Size External Bronze Chainplates?

Quote:
What size would be appropriate? Would 600mm (14 inches) be large enough?
Oh sorry, I can't seem to edit my post and I made a mistake with the chainplate size.

It should be;
Would 400mm (16 inches) be large enough?
Old 09-05-2017, 19:06   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

There is no simple answer. I don't know the specifics of the Medalist 33 construction and chainplate attachments. If your present chainplates are internal and attached to bulkheads the naval architect calculated the loads and sized the components to handle the stress loads. The hull may or not be capable of handling the stress of external chainplate attachment as it was not anticipated nor planned for by the naval architect.
Anyone can just take a shot in the dark and hope no issues result if chainplates are attached externally but you may find it prudent to have a professional provide an engineering assessment prior to beginning your alteration.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:52   #4

Thanks Jim. The chainplates are glassed in and are not bolted to the hull nor attached to bulkheads. They are shaped like a 10 or so fingered hand to spread the load. I planned to bolt them through the "wrist".
Old 10-05-2017, 08:16   #5

For a 33 ft boat I would think 16" would be fine. Cross section the same as originals? It's general answer to a general question.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:51   #6

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

There are many things must be taken into consideration when determining rigging size, which includes chain plates. ...When building my boat, i found just about any and everything I needed to know in a couple of books. 1) - Skene's Elements of Yacht Design by Frances S. Kinney and, 2) - The Complete Rigger's Apprentice by Brion Toss.

There are other books, but I found these two to be most helpful. You may find them in a "used book" store or even in your local library. I purchased mine new because I wanted to keep them as reference books in my own library. Brion Toss signed a copy for me at Port Townsend where he has his business.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:05   #7

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Are you comfortable that bronze is the correct material?
Old 10-05-2017, 16:03   #8

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Are you comfortable that bronze is the correct material?
One can find many sailboats having bronze chain-plates as well as other rigging attachments but quite often, these will be boats of a more 'traditional' design.
I originally intended having bronze on my boat, simply because it is a traditional design however, I changed my mind after chatting with another fellow who did have bronze on his boat. His main objection to bronze is the fact (that) within the first year, bronze will start to tarnish and then will 'bleed green' down the hull sides, creating a never ending fight to remove the stain. If left too long, he said "it is almost impossible to clean it off" . . . so I changed my mind and chose 1/4" polished 316 s.s. instead . . . 1/4" provides a larger bearing surface for the clevis pin.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:28   #9

Thank you all. I'm not happy about doing this but I don't feel I too much choice. It is not a traditional boat and I feel the external chain plates will detract from the beauty of the Medalist. I just don't have the time, money, or inclination to fix them up properly at this time. Maybe one day, I or another owner can fix them up properly.

The topsides are to going to be painted green, so staining shouldn't be too much of an issue. I love the look of that tarnished bronze. There is a big slab of bronze under the bowroller that I'll be stripping the paint off, so at least it will match that. I have new winches on order as the 40 year Barient 28s were dangerously corroded at the base and am thinking of changing the order to bronze instead of chrome.

I don't think the dissimilar metals will be an issue, as I think my turnbuckles are chromed bronze anyway and I will replace the SS toggles with bronze ones. I finally spoke to the helpful guys at the store that sells the 16" chainplates and they think the 12" would be fine, but the 16" even better.
https://shop.classic-boat-supplies.c...tes-undrilled/.
The hull has stringers running horizontal and I'm hoping I'll find one high enough under the interior panelling to bolt into. My neighbour is a shipwright and he'll be babysitting me, when we do the work.

Tags
Chainplates, size