Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2015, 10:06   #1

Boat: Skookum 53'
What is this for?

As with some of the other Skookum owners here, I am in the middle of a refit. I have been delving into my engine compartment trying to eliminate all the unneeded wiring, hoses etc... I have come across some plumbing that I am not entirely sure of what it services. The piping is mounted on the aft bulkhead and it looks old enough to be original equipment and I was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying what the plumbing is. There has been so many modifications to this vessel it is hard to tell. There are two different systems here that are puzzling me, the one appears to be a gray water drain of sorts, but it goes into a canister that I don't understand. The other is the set of 1/2" ball valves that have labels like "Starboard" and main engine, which could possibly be from an old fuel distribution center, if any of you Skookum owners out there recognize this, I would appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	023.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	99542   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	99543  

Old 27-03-2015, 10:23   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: What is this for?

It's tough to tell from your photos. Does it go into the engine? It might be an air intake done with plumbing hose. Run the engine and put the flat of your palm over the hole. If you feel suction; it's an air intake. Many people dont bother with an air filter. Also, does it go in somewhere near the water pump? Some boats are plumbed so that if there is a leak of sea water into the engine room, you can turn off the thru-hull and run the engine by intaking coolant water from the bilge therefore using the engine as an extra bilge poump.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 10:27   #3

Sorry the photos are hard to see, there is just so much crap in the way it is hard to get a clear shot. All of the dewatering is done at the front of the engine by a belt driven jabsco, or by the rule bilge pumps. I have a dry exhaust and a keel cooler, so no dewatering through the exhaust. The engine is not in place, this is the aft bulkhead of the engine compartment. Thanks for the comeback.
Old 27-03-2015, 12:03   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

My head hurts just looking at all those hoses.

Some folks use a system like gang manifolds so that they can eliminate thruhulls for saltwater intake or to switch from one fuel tank to another. If you can figure out what comes through those hoses to the valves then you'll have solved a piece of the puzzle.
Old 27-03-2015, 12:55   #5

Thanks John, I agree, every time I climb down into the engine compartment I get overwhelmed by all the hoses and wires going in all different directions. This is after I have removed (10) 33 gallon garbage sacks full of wires and hoses. I revamped the fuel system and used manifolds and 3 way ball valves to switch from one filter housing to the other and ball valves on the manifolds to select which fuel tank I am drawing from and returning to, and that all works very well now. So with that out of the way, I am working on whittling down the wiring to just what services things that work, and the fresh water system hoses, which for some reason has several hoses that lead into the engine compartment. Oh well, if it was easy then every one would do it. After posting this, I got to thinking that the ball valves might have been for the original fuel manifold. Next time I get the courage to go back into the engine compartment, I'll trace the copper tubing and see where it goes, dimes to doughnuts it is a part of a no longer used fuel system. The other thought I had was that it might be for the hydraulic steering.
Old 27-03-2015, 13:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
As with some of the other Skookum owners here, I am in the middle of a refit. I have been delving into my engine compartment trying to eliminate all the unneeded wiring, hoses etc... I have come across some plumbing that I am not entirely sure of what it services. The piping is mounted on the aft bulkhead and it looks old enough to be original equipment and I was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying what the plumbing is. There has been so many modifications to this vessel it is hard to tell. There are two different systems here that are puzzling me, the one appears to be a gray water drain of sorts, but it goes into a canister that I don't understand. The other is the set of 1/2" ball valves that have labels like "Starboard" and main engine, which could possibly be from an old fuel distribution center, if any of you Skookum owners out there recognize this, I would appreciate the help.

looks like a mesh filter,what it is for,you will have to follow the piping.

it should open by pressing down on the top and turning anti clockwise so you can clean the filter.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 09:17   #7

Boat: KP 46

The manifold appears to have three distribution valves and one supply valve (the one after the 90 under the PVC. My guess would be fresh water tank manifold. It is iron pipe fittings with hose so I do not think it is fuel. Or it could be a bilge manifold that went to an old bilge pump. Close them all and see if your water pressure still works.

The filter does look like air, notice the type of hose clamps on it (and only one each) . open it up and see what the filter looks like. Looks like you still have a lot of hoses you can get rid of. That access thru the aft bulkhead with the cut hoses, look on the other side and pull those out.
Not a lot of help, but a start.
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 13:11   #8

Thanks folks, I have no illusions about the size of the job. Thanks Atoll, I was looking at that and there is a goose neck in the PVC piping like you see under a sink, and the fittings looked like possible gray water out, but I was afraid to open the canister, not knowing what it is for sure. I appreciate the input. Project on hold for the moment, house chores have taken precedent. Plus it is spitting snow and rain mix, really dampens my enthusiasm for the cold, engine compartment. I think, I'll post some palm tree photos in the engine compartment to inspire me to greater efforts.
Old 28-03-2015, 14:38   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Honestly it looks like another couple of bags of trash that need to be hauled. Messes like this drive me nuts.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 17:53   #10

Rely you should save most of that stuff, Maybe underneath a berth. You can never tell when you will need some small piece of hose or pipe or wire. when I sold my boat I had enough stuff to build another only smaller. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 18:40   #11

Trust me when I say: "I have not yet begun to clean". This is not how I operate, I am in the process of cleaning, cutting out, organizing and eventually correctly installing systems. I am getting this done before I install the new engine so I don't have to crawl over it while I am pulling garbage out of the overhead. You should have seen it before I started. I expect a minimum of 10 more 33 gallon garbage bags of odd wires, hoses etc... to be removed before I start installing sound proofing and painting.
Old 29-03-2015, 03:14   #12

Boat: Columbia 8.7 (29')

had the same sort of problem with the 'wiring harness' that the boat electrician installed with the new panel. Lots of wires doing nothing. In a fit of pique one summer day I tore it all out and ran one wire to and from each 'device'. Knew what to fix after that.
patn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 21:53   #13

Roger on that!
Old 30-03-2015, 14:08   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Roger on that!
If you have the fuel thing straightened out it could be hydraulics but they are usually high pressure type hoses that you cannot squeeze with your hand. Freshwater hoses can be squeezable. Saltwater intake hoses should be non-squeezable to prevent them from collapsing. Saltwater and freshwater hoses can go to a hotwater heater or an external to the engine heat exchanger if you have or had one mounted near or in the engine room.

Again, good luck with sorting it all out.
Old 15-04-2015, 09:57   #15

Just an update for those who are interested. The valve manifold led to nothing, just cut off hoses, it appears to have been something for a water system judging by the type of hoses that were secured to it. The other mystery item was as Atoll said, drain for gray water. Thanks to all for the helpful tips. Next stop is "Where do the hell do all these wires go? Why do I need them?" I'm not hollering for help, just musing about my project.