Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2010, 22:38   #121

Boat: Robertson 950
Prop paint

Hi all, I realise that thisis a late thread but for the prop, I have been using PropSpeed for 2-3 years and so long as you are using your boat regulary ( at least every 2-3 weeks) it works very well.
Be careful if the yard is using what they have leftover from the last job as once the can is opened, I believe that there is a short shelf life for the product. basically it is very stick like a thick grease.
I dive on my boat every month with a mask and snorket and usually just sponge the hull so i have preferref hard antfouls. We cannot get Trinidad paint in AUS and the best paint I have used whihc was Altex 10 was removed from the market. If anyone has got great results with a hard antifoul in waters from 16-23 Celcius, Please let me know
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 02:17   #122
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
What about Jotun paint for ships anyone use this? Im thing about getting some- its said it lasts 60-90 months ??
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 15:55   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think the rescue boats at our club that run folks out to their moorings use Jotun. It seems to last no better or worse than other paints - About 18 months in our very fertile waters.

One data point only YMMV.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 19:22   #124

Boat: Robertson 950
HI there, I have put on International Ultra which is new in Australia and have gone for a darker colour so I will let you know how it goes.
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 21:57   #125

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter
I once challenged a "true believer" in cayenne pepper as an anti-fouling additive. He also added RoundUp herbicide to his paint. I pointed out htat RoundUp is a water-soluble vascular plant herbicide and I could not see how it could help reduce fouling in a seawater environment.

My challenge was to paint HALF of his boat with cayenne and half with. Nope. Hypothesis testing was not an interest to him.

I spoke with the PPG rep (ABC paint) and he said that they have some serious chemists at work on how to make good anti-fouling paint. The "old salt" actually is just telling "old salt tales".

As another poster put it: "Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze."

Without anything better than anecdotal evidence, adding cayenne is just bogus witchcraft.

JS
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 15:00   #126

Boat: Freedom 40
Re: What Is the Best Anti-Fouling Bottom Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We will be using this for the first time this year. I can tell you more about it in a year or two...

Mark
Hey Mark, Old thread, but I was wondering what your final experience was with the Super Shipbottom paint back in 2008?

Erik
bad.wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 15:08   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrawlerEd View Post
Thanks for the heads up on SeaHawk. A bit expensive but what ain't these days. There are some e-mail address on the site and I'll ask them how it works for them but of course I'll take it with a grain of salt.

I've had boaters swear up and down there paint works best but then you hear that many boaters think it sucks. Maybe prep is the key but there are so many variables. And do it yourself boat yards are getting scarce.
I used Sea Hawks most expensive copper and it sucks big time compared to trinadad SR70
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 15:11   #128

Re: Use of antifouling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleoflatus View Post
Here in Queensland, Australia, I have to pull my unpainted fibreglass dinghy out of the water to clean and dry it at least every second or third day. After 48 hours in the sea, there's already a thin coat of green slime on it. At several hundred dollars for an out-and-in lift here, I just couldn't afford to do that regularly - perhaps every week or so - on my Freedom 40 yacht, even if I had the time to do it. Of course, I could hire a diver to go down and do it maybe twice a week, but the cost would also be prohibitive.

I'm hauling out in 2 weeks and looking hard at Micron 66 this time, although I'd like more feedback on how it lasts.
Its top rated here in Florida
Old 02-05-2012, 15:14   #129

I also have used VIVID zinc based -----------beware of it as it has a tendency to "fall off' due to poor adhesion after a short time........... In USA TrinadadSR and Micron 66 are most reliable
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18   #130

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49
Thumbs up Re: What Is the Best Anti-Fouling Bottom Paint

Last summer I had MarPro Super B Gold bottom paint applied and it seems to be far superior to Micron. Our diver said it was looking great.
jayncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 06:33   #131

Boat: Catalina 42

In a few months we are taking our boat from Lake Michigan to the Carribean
Does anyone have any experience with changing from a fresh water bottom paint (VC17 is what we currently have on it) to a salt water bottom paint? We currently have a very smooth bottom no blisters. Do we need to take it all the way down add a barrier coat than another paint like trinidad? and seriously cayenne pepper? or should we use VC off shore and not have to take it all off? Any experience with this would be appreciated.
Cloud 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 06:43   #132
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 09 View Post
In a few months we are taking our boat from Lake Michigan to the Carribean
Does anyone have any experience with changing from a fresh water bottom paint (VC17 is what we currently have on it) to a salt water bottom paint? We currently have a very smooth bottom no blisters. Do we need to take it all the way down add a barrier coat than another paint like trinidad? and seriously cayenne pepper? or should we use VC off shore and not have to take it all off? Any experience with this would be appreciated.
VC Offshore has pretty lousy anti fouling properties and is likely to be unsuitable for use in the Carribean. Trinidad is a much better choice. And yes, you will need to remove all the VC17 before going to a non-vinyl paint.

BTW- the cayenne pepper thing? Complete bullsh*t. Don't waste your time or the cayenne.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 07:39   #133

Boat: Catalina 42

Thanks Fstbttms,
That's what I thought. now I have to convince my husband cause he will be doing most of getting the VC17 off.
Cloud 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 16:17   #134

Boat: Seafarer36c

fstbttms, I think you said you are from the SF area so I am not sure you know about, say Panama for example. There they sell little bottles of Pepper that they put into bottom paint ( Hemple is the popular brand) and in that area it seems to help. A little bottle of pepper is a pretty minor cost so that's not really a waste of money or so much BS.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 16:36   #135
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Samson View Post
fstbttms, I think you said you are from the SF area so I am not sure you know about, say Panama for example. There they sell little bottles of Pepper that they put into bottom paint ( Hemple is the popular brand) and in that area it seems to help. A little bottle of pepper is a pretty minor cost so that's not really a waste of money or so much BS.
If pepper (or derivative thereof) was an effective anti fouling paint ingredient, the shelves of every chandlery would be lined with pepper-laced anti fouling paints (especially in this age of increased pressure to reduce heavy metals in our waterways.) But there is not a single example of a commercially available anti fouling paint with pepper in it anywhere in the world, to my knowledge. Certainly not in this country. Why? Because it doesn't work, that's why. It's a wive's tale, pure and simple.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling, bottom paint